PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Athroscopy

marcus1290
22nd Apr 2014, 11:35
Hi all,

I may need to have an arthroscopy procedure on my shoulder in a few months time, nothing major, just to tidy up an old rugby injury.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the implications will be on my class 1?

Thanks in advance.

M

macdo
21st May 2014, 21:22
I had something similar done on my knee about 10 years ago and it had no ramifications at all. If you are having the op you should discuss it with your AME.

Mimpe
3rd Jun 2014, 12:38
NO major implications - post op they will just want to know when you don't need pain killers, and can haul back on the controls. My guess post arthroscopy that would be 3-5 weeks depending on what they want to do inside the shoulder.

Radgirl
3rd Jun 2014, 13:27
Two points

First, the knee is a different joint. This may sound obvious but the procedure is not the same.

Second, although I agree with Mimpe, recovery times can be prolonged. You may continue to get a painful arc ie some positions are painful. Power may also be a problem. This is particularly important if you need to operate an overhead panel.

Whereas knee arthroscopy is not normally a problem, we normally advise pilots to consider a higher threshold of symptoms for shoulder procedures.