PDA

View Full Version : LAME in Australia

Joycekin
18th Apr 2014, 07:40
Hi all, I'm a FAA A&P mechanic and will soon immigrate to Melbourne Australia . Looking to further myself by gaining LAME qualification to continue working in aircraft maintenance. I saw FAA is not on the CTC list which means I don't get any benefit out of my FAA A&P and have to start from ground up. I wonder if it's possible to just self-study and apply the core examination without having work in any maintenance organisation in Australia yet? I know very little about the industry environment in Aust but it don't seem to hiring mechanics or unlicensed technician much in Melbourne. Is it really hard to get a job in these days? Thanks so much for taking time answer my post. Much appreciated.

LeadSled
18th Apr 2014, 08:31
Joycekin,
Have a talk to AMROBA (Aircraft Maintenance,Repair and Overhaul Business Association) <amroba.org.au ‎>, Ken Cannane, Executive Director, will be able to give you a rundown on how our Part 66 works (or doesn't work) and where the jobs are.
Tootle pip!!

rjtjrt
18th Apr 2014, 09:24
I have no knowledge of the local industry or maintenance jobs in general.
However, whatever happens don't give up.
In my industry, the people who got ahead were the ones who kept coming back, even when told no job available. Every time you saw them again you felt they really wanted the job, and eventually people in senior positions started to push for them to get a start, as a reward for being keen.
Good luck.
John

chimbu warrior
18th Apr 2014, 11:09
I would suggest that Essendon is probably the best place to start, as there are several N-registered bizjets that are based or transit there.

Unfortunately the best way to get a look in there is the old-fashioned way; going door to door and telling your story.

Good luck.

Engineer_aus
18th Apr 2014, 12:20
I will also let you know that the market is very tight at the moment, and the jobs are rather thin.

Avgas172
18th Apr 2014, 21:55
You should gain significant credits from RPL, not sure about work in Melb, but there is plenty of GA work elsewhere

Joycekin
19th Apr 2014, 00:47
Thank you so much for all your replies @leadsled @rjtjrt @chimbu warrior @engineer Aus @avgas172.

Since my FAA A&P is still new and I just had 3+ years practical experience. So I am looking for the possibility to work while taking the CASR Part66 exams. Just wanna get it started as soon as I landed in Melb.

emergency000
26th Apr 2014, 11:57
Give Execujet at Essendon Airport a call. They deal with a lot of US registered bizjets.