PDA

View Full Version : Tilstock

Ian_Wannabe
17th Apr 2014, 19:59
Is Tilstock airfield open to the public, or is it just used for the parachute jump centre?

Going for a skydive and it would be good to make a day of it by flying in if possible.

xrayalpha
18th Apr 2014, 07:02
Why post here?
Just contact them, you obviously have their details for the parachuting.
Nothing anyone here can tell you, or even what you read on the internet - even on their own web site - can be as up to date as speaking direct.

Ian_Wannabe
18th Apr 2014, 12:53
You'll notice the time of my post (they're obviously closed then) and the fact that this is a forum for private pilots, to talk about private flying, such as airfields that are open...

I could call them yes, but I chose to ask on here in the hope of generating a bit of conversation about the place and until just now where I have been gifted with two mins between work I came on to see if anyone had replied with a useful reply.

It seems my wish wasn't granted.

PA28181
18th Apr 2014, 13:04
xrayalpha. Are you having a bad hair day?

Ian_Wannabe
18th Apr 2014, 15:16
Glad it wasn't just me!

Sir George Cayley
18th Apr 2014, 19:33
There's some grumpy ol' gits on here.:ugh:

But we luv 'em

SGC

Low Level Pilot
19th Apr 2014, 08:48
I think you can fly in with prior permission but you must contact them before you plan to fly there as the field is used for other purposes suh as storage and there maybe large vechicles moving around. Suspect there might also be restrictions due to locals complaining about noise, which is one reason they only jump two days a week and never on Sundays.

Heston
19th Apr 2014, 09:23
http://www.g-gyav.org.uk/files/Tilstock%20Pilots.pdf

It took me about 15 seconds with Google to find this. Much more reliable than random answers on an internet forum. I'm with xray alpha - use the right tools for the job...

Sir George Cayley
19th Apr 2014, 17:04
THE MANAGER TILSTOCK (INTERNATIONAL) AIRFIELD Updated 26/04/04

Bang up to date info;)

SGC

Heston
19th Apr 2014, 19:20
ha! I hadn't spotted that, I admit. Mind you I use a ten year old edition of Pooley's without any bother...

xrayalpha
20th Apr 2014, 07:22
Sorry folks,

Had recently been to a (it really was very good, highly recommended) Gasco safety evening

There were some quite shocking videos of aircraft flying right through parachute drops.

My reply was meant to be blunt, and possibly controversial. That way it might grab attention.

But to be frank, parachute drop zones are pretty obvious safety critical area. So the horse's mouth should be the first port of call.

On the other hand, you might think I am a horse's ass!

thing
20th Apr 2014, 07:58
Heard a guy last year giving a posrep as 'Overhead Langar' when a live drop was in progress...:eek:. East Midlands were very quick to point out his error to which there was a mumbled 'Apologies'.

There are some people for whom the obvious isn't so obvious, like parachute drop zones actually drop parachutists. Clues in the name really.

Ian_Wannabe
23rd Apr 2014, 05:55
All good experience though, providing you take precautions and follow all the advice!

Geordieaviator
7th Aug 2014, 10:49
Hello, I have flown jumpers at Tilstock for ten years and should point out that we are constantly on the lookout for "bandits" who blithely fly through the drop zone. It's instructive and sometimes scary to listen to replies when RAF Shawbury LARS politely inform pilots of the drop zone and it's obvious some are flying either without charts or without looking at them or maybe not understanding the symbols and squiggles printed on them. Parachute DZs are busy places so it's wise to take precautions.

If you want to fly there, best give the DZ a ring direct. Lots of DZs accept fly-in visitors even during jumping days.

Thanks to the OP for raising the subject

DR

phiggsbroadband
7th Aug 2014, 20:50
Please note Shawbury frequency is now 133.15, give them a call when within the AIAA, then Tilstock 118.10 when their runway is in sight.

Small Rodent Driver
8th Aug 2014, 14:28
In the 1990,s I worked for a major UK construction Company. One of our tendering sub contractors used to live near to Tilstock and proudly revealed to me that he was instrumental in a local authority ban on Sunday operations at the field.

You know, he never once entered a successful bid to us :hmm:

Low Level Pilot
2nd Oct 2014, 18:58
Have you done your jump yet?
Did you fly in?
if yes, where are the photos!

Southern Jumper
18th Nov 2016, 10:21
In the 1990,s I worked for a major UK construction Company. One of our tendering sub contractors used to live near to Tilstock and proudly revealed to me that he was instrumental in a local authority ban on Sunday operations at the field.

You know, he never once entered a successful bid to us :hmm:
i know this is resurrecting and old post, but thank you SRD :-)

Should anyone want to visit Tilstock in the future, please give the office a call on 01948 84111.

scifi
18th Nov 2016, 20:26
I went to Tilstock by car one day, to have a Parachute re-packed, and asked them about flying in to their runway. They were quite happy to let me do that, providing it was by PPR, on one of the days when they were open.

Still haven't been there, even though it is the nearest airfield to Sleap. However I have been to Cark, and can confirm that they have the same 'esprit de corps'.