PDA

View Full Version : David Clarke headset repair

LowNSlow
17th Apr 2014, 12:43
I've got a DC 10-13.4 headset that produces unintelligible transmissions. The volume is strength 5 the understandability is nil!!

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good repair shop?

sysconx
17th Apr 2014, 13:00
Send them back to DC. That would be the best place plus they will do some extras. I had mine come back looking new.

gooneydog
17th Apr 2014, 13:18
I concur They will rebuild it

A and C
20th Apr 2014, 09:27
If I was in the USA I would agree with the above advice but the cost of shipping from the UK is likely to exceed the value of the unit.

Adams Aviation are the UK agents and carry a good range of parts, the unit is not difficult to work on and as it sounds like a mic problem why not change that and see if this works, But first just check the continuity of the cables incase you have an intermittent conection.

The Adams website had the IPC for all the DC headsets last time I looked so you can find the part numbers yourself.

mixture
20th Apr 2014, 09:31
If I was in the USA I would agree with the above advice but the cost of shipping from the UK is likely to exceed the value of the unit.

Codswollop.

Look up a consolidating company, you'll be surprised how cheaply you can send stuff if you're prepared to shop around.

Alternatively, if you'd been bothered to look on the DC website, you would have found "Headset Services Ltd." in Shoreham listed as an "International Warranty Repair Facilities". :)

sammypilot
21st Apr 2014, 11:45
I sent an elderly DC 10-20 back to David Clarkes about 18 months ago after the company at Shoreham couldn't fix it. Shipping by Royal Mail wasn't excessive and it came back totally re-furbished, no charge for either the work or the return shipping. Best service I have ever had from any company, anywhere.

A and C
22nd Apr 2014, 05:46
How much time do you spend shopping around ?

How much insurance is included with the shipping ?

What time scale are you talking about ?

How much do you pay the agents to sort the customs paperwork for the units return ?

Whopity
22nd Apr 2014, 06:54
I've got a DC 10-13.4 headset that produces unintelligible transmissions.In which case there are two possibilities, the system its plugged into may be at fault so try connecting it to another system to verify the problem. If it is the Mic insert, it can be removed by undoing one screw, buy and fit a new one (Adams Aviation sell them), I had a faulty one and replaced it in 2 minutes.

Flyingmac
22nd Apr 2014, 07:25
Avaition Headset Repairs (http://www.highamheadsets.co.uk/avaitionheadsetrepairs.html)

mad_jock
22nd Apr 2014, 07:27
Headset services have taken a significant nose dive over the last few years.

They are now charging a look at fee over and above the cost of out of warranty repair.

Flyingmac
22nd Apr 2014, 07:48
The link I posted says no charge to tell you what's wrong with it.

LowNSlow
22nd Apr 2014, 12:00
Thanks for all the input people.

I shall do some testing as suggested by the site posted by Flyingmac.

Whopity, my daughter's D-C works fine when plugged into the same socket so I'm assuming it's my headset. Hopefully the testing will identify this then I will be getting the microphne and removing the screw!

mad_jock
22nd Apr 2014, 12:10
If you have her one just swap the mics over.

Sometimes its the cable to the mic which takes 10mins with a soldering iron to replace.

LowNSlow
22nd Apr 2014, 13:23
Good plan M-J

tdbristol
23rd Apr 2014, 21:15
I had a broken plastic bracket on a DC X11. The headset is 6 years old.

I contacted support; they said no problem - all I had to do was pack it up and they paid for FedEx collection, repaired at no charge, then DC paid for FedEx return ! (So cost me absolutely nothing and came back like new.)

Perfect service !

I suggest you contact Customer Service there (I did this via the website link): Brian Degnan is the Customer Service Manager.

LowNSlow
25th Apr 2014, 20:15
D-C paid for FedEx from Bristol to the USA plus free repairs? That's good service!