PDA

View Full Version : The people's portrait

NutLoose
13th Apr 2014, 17:37
Simon Weston,

Bit of a naff programme name, but what an unassuming man, and an excellent programme covering both his recovery and the painting of his image.
The world could do with more people like him.

Heathrow Harry
13th Apr 2014, 18:37
met him once - a normal bloke who suffered the worst of fortune

Instead of giving up he has worked tirelessly to improve the lot of others in a similar position

I hope I'd have a tenth of the fortitude...............

Beaver man
13th Apr 2014, 19:25
Never met the chap, but always impressed. Victim of his senior officers' incompetence. Doesn't seem to bear a grudge though, much to his credit. Well done Taff!

goudie
14th Apr 2014, 19:11
I remember the programmes about his numerous operations. Gut wrenching watching his painful recovery but he displayed a sense of humour throughout.
Extraordinary courageous man.

Tankertrashnav
15th Apr 2014, 09:00
From Fiona Bruce's article on the portrait

Even now Simon told me about an incident in a restaurant not that long ago when the people sitting next to them turned to the waiter and said ‘you need to move that man, he’s putting us off our food and frightening the children’,” she said. “All in his earshot.

It wasn't recorded whether the family were forcibly removed from the restaurant and had their meals chucked after them, but that would certainly have been the result if it had been my place!

Tashengurt
15th Apr 2014, 09:33
I'm not sure why he isn't Sir Simon yet?
Plenty have been knighted for less endeavour.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

ExRAFRadar
15th Apr 2014, 12:14
+1 from me

CoffmanStarter
15th Apr 2014, 15:24
Totally agree Tash, ExRAFRadar :ok:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/3/20/1395310091738/Simon-Weston-portrait-001.jpg

Danny42C
15th Apr 2014, 15:58
And I ! Trouble is, he's not a footballer (or some other soi-disant "Celebrity"), you see.

D.

Ivor Fynn
15th Apr 2014, 16:07
And me,

A true inspiration, has fought hard through physical and mental adversity and won both battles. A fine role model.

Ivor:D

NutLoose
15th Apr 2014, 17:09
Add me too, he has done so much both as an ambassador for the forces and for charity.

Incidentally another portrait shown on the show that the artist has done was this one, excellent work

Historic dual portrait of Prince William and Prince Harry unveiled at National Portrait Gallery | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241013/Historic-dual-portrait-Prince-William-Prince-Harry-unveiled-National-Portrait-Gallery.html)

I did like when asked how it felt to be hung in the National Portrait Gallery opposite Lady Thatcher's, he commented that if it hadn't been for her, his image wouldn't have been here.

Tashengurt
15th Apr 2014, 17:19
I had a chuckle at that bit too Nutty.
I suppose it's possible one's been offered and declined?

Union Jack
15th Apr 2014, 19:08
Never met the chap, but always impressed. Victim of his senior officers' incompetence. Doesn't seem to bear a grudge though, much to his credit. Well done Taff!

Without detracting in any way from Simon Weston's undoubted courage, fortitude and outstanding services to charitable causes, the reference to "senior officers' incompetence" suggests a lack of awareness of the full story surrounding the efforts made to encourage the Welsh Guards to disembark from RFA SIR GALAHAD before the cloud cover cleared. That said, thoroughly agree with suggestions that he is well worthy of a higher honour.:ok:

On a lighter note, the selection of Simon's portrait to be displayed in the National Portrait Gallery justifiably gives the lie to the expression that someone "is no oil painting"!:)

Jack

Sun Who
15th Apr 2014, 19:14
I'm not sure why he isn't Sir Simon yet?
+1 from me
Totally agree Tash, ExRAFRadar
Add me too, he has done so much both as an ambassador for the forces and for charity.
I would sign any petition established to support the ennoblement of Simon Weston. Wouldn't that be a great thing for PPRUNE to champion?
Who here knows how to do such a thing? I'm a biffer with IT but would gladly help/contribute.:ok:

Sun.

500N
15th Apr 2014, 19:35
Not sure about the UK but in Aus anyone can nominate anyone else for an honour and
I would think the committee in the UK also has such a method.

Have never met Simon but have always been impressed with what he says
and the way he comes across.

CoffmanStarter
15th Apr 2014, 20:00
Sun Who ... Anyone can nominate a candidate for an Honour but the "process" is more geared to the submission of citations along with a formal nomination form for review by the Awards Committee ... so not really a popularity contest poll ... and that's a good thing IMHO.

For general info ... here is the official reference on the process :ok:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/245406/How_to_write_a_nomination.pdf

Sun Who
15th Apr 2014, 20:21
Thanks Coffman.

Looking at the guidance for nominations, I think Simon would be a strong candidate.

Sun.

eastern wiseguy
16th Apr 2014, 01:00
Any possibility that he may have turned one down?

And if he hasn't.....why hasn't he been so be knighted?

smujsmith
16th Apr 2014, 20:22
I've had the great pleasure of being in this mans company, but never formerly met him. It was an honour, and certainly a man I could doff my cap to as a Knight of our realm. To that end I've attempted a petition, which might be accepted, its worth the shot, and I will update the results when I receive them. Good post though, blue, brown or navy blue, we all swore the same oath of allegiance I believe.

Smudge :ok:

NutLoose
16th Apr 2014, 20:32
Good on ya :)

Tashengurt
16th Apr 2014, 20:41
Well done Smudge. If he gets it I shall ever claim it was my idea!

smujsmith
16th Apr 2014, 21:16
Tash,

surely the concept is all yours. If it's accepted I will post a link to sign it. I really do hope it is accepted.

Smudge

Heathrow Harry
17th Apr 2014, 13:51
"the reference to "senior officers' incompetence" suggests a lack of awareness of the full story surrounding the efforts made to encourage the Welsh Guards to disembark from RFA SIR GALAHAD"

as I understood it is was relatively junior officers who insisted on staying on board

NutLoose
17th Apr 2014, 16:35
BOI here

http://www.rna-10-area.co.uk/files/boi_rfas_tristram_galahad.pdf

spekesoftly
17th Apr 2014, 17:15
Tonight (Thursday 17/04/2014) on BBC1 at 23:35 BST.

smujsmith
17th Apr 2014, 21:44
Whilst waiting for the government to respond, I managed to get this one on Change. Org;

Please join this campaign: http://chn.ge/1kFyqTe

Perhaps it could be a bit more eloquent, but I think a straightforward statement is all that's needed. Simon Weston needs no description from the likes of me. Hopefully it will get some support. 99 needed to get it going.

Smudge

Tashengurt
17th Apr 2014, 22:12
Done. fb'd it too.

Fortyodd2
17th Apr 2014, 23:21
Signed with pleasure.

goudie
18th Apr 2014, 07:06
Done. smuj, well done mate. Perhaps a thread on jetblast would ensure more publicity.

NutLoose
18th Apr 2014, 08:56
Signed :) into double figures now

CoffmanStarter
18th Apr 2014, 11:05
Done ... also put out on Twitter :ok:

smujsmith
18th Apr 2014, 13:11
Keep it going lads, as of 1415, 25 signatures, and rising.

Smudge:ok:

CoffmanStarter
18th Apr 2014, 14:18
30 ... and going up :ok:

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/ffcb9a8716be4bfbb468b3f1d2ae01fc_zps1db7e87b.png

God ... You're a fine looking chap Smudge :eek:

500N
18th Apr 2014, 14:41
Done.

He deserves it.

NutLoose
18th Apr 2014, 14:57
Yep, I chortled at his picture too Coff, have posted the link elsewhere to drum up some more support.

thing
18th Apr 2014, 15:07
Done. 42 now.

smujsmith
18th Apr 2014, 17:56
Coff and Nutty,

Please respect my mugshot, I'm getting on a bit now, I once cut a fine figure and was accepted for RAF service :eek: 50 is now history chaps. Keep at your friends etc. we can make this work between us. Tash has set a hare running.

grizz
18th Apr 2014, 18:05
Added my signature to the growing list!

500N
18th Apr 2014, 18:18
Perhaps a thread on jetblast would ensure more publicity.

Goudie

That is a damn good idea :ok:

Why not other forums as well like Rotary ?

I'll leave it to the OP to do unless someone says otherwise.

smujsmith
18th Apr 2014, 18:55
500N,

How do we put this on other forums, is it simply starting new threads ? I'm all for drumming up more support for tash's original idea. Can a MOD suggest how we can link this across fora? If someone steers me, I will comply. 65 now gentlemen, lets break the ton tonight !!!!!!

500N
18th Apr 2014, 18:58
smuj

Just create a thread - preferably with a good and suitable heading (ie not some boring thing no one will read) and then cut and paste the forum
or better still, cut and paste a bit of info on Simon and a direct link to the vote.

I'll do Jet Blast if you like. Will await reply.

I am sure Lightning Mate, RGB and myself can gee up a few of our non mil mates on JB to get on board !

smujsmith
18th Apr 2014, 19:00
500N,

Thanks for that, I will look for your lead on Jet Blast, and see if I can follow on other threads. Thanks in advance.

500N
18th Apr 2014, 19:05
Give me an hour or two to think something up / put something together.

500N
18th Apr 2014, 19:36
Added to Jet Blast.

If any of you think something should be changed, added or whatever,
please say so.

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/538202-one-man-worthy-high-award.html#post8440472

I notice we have 69 votes now which is good.

smujsmith
18th Apr 2014, 19:49
500N,

73 since yours went live, a better job than I could do. Thanks for the help here. I'm sure its a cause worth chasing. Lets hope we get many more now. Hope Nutloose is happy with his OP.

500N
18th Apr 2014, 19:59
smuj

No worries.

Would just like to thank those on this thread who I plagiarized words from
- for a worthy cause of course :O

I have a bit of a personal interest.

I was going to "try" to join the Paras in 1981 instead of staying at School but didn't and also watched the Falklands War and shock every night on the news - with every other person in the "house" and clearly remember it as it occurred during my formative years.

smujsmith
18th Apr 2014, 22:12
500N,

Amazing how Para's keep reappearing in my life. On Joining the RAF, as a Halton Craft Apprentice, my Flt Cdr was a Flt Lt Gordon Blackburn, an ex Vulcan Navigator by trade but previously a Para, who, having experienced a rough landing on Salisbury Plain, and whilst lying semi conscious with a broken jaw, decided he would rather be operating the aircraft than jumping out of it. He had the chunk of loose jawbone mounted on a key ring to remind him why he joined the RAF. Of course, as a Hercules GE I did many trips where people who would rather jump out of, rather than land in, an aircraft I had declared fit for flight occurred. Where I live we have several ex paras, all "getting on a bit" but all game for a laugh. Anyway, thread creep obviously happening. We're heading for the ton rapidly now. I just hope it takes off, the government petition site has not even replied.

Fingers crossed

Union Jack
18th Apr 2014, 23:04
In the belief that Simon Weston lives in Cardiff, may I suggest that Smudge contacts the Clerk to the Lieutenancy of South Glamorgan in order to ensure that the Lord Lieutenant is properly aware of the proposed nomination of one of his "constituents", not least in the hope that he would swing his weight behind the nomination of someone who was named as the nation's most heroic figure earlier this year.

The guidance in the attached link may also be helpful:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nominate-someone-for-a-uk-national-honour

No email address readily available but Clerk to the Lieutenancy's postal address is:
c/o Cardiff Council
Mansion House
Richmond Road
Cardiff CF24 3UN

Jack

smujsmith
18th Apr 2014, 23:14
Thanks for that Jack. I will have a good read, and see if I can make head or tail of it.

500N
18th Apr 2014, 23:26
Smuj,

Re the suggestion above, I would get as many high offices holders on board as possible.

Maybe also contact the welsh guards association and some of the charities he word for ?

Trout99uk
18th Apr 2014, 23:41
Done :ok: Hope it all goes well.

500N
19th Apr 2014, 06:10
Total is currently 98 so min 2 more required :ok:

Exrigger
19th Apr 2014, 06:30
Total now 100

smujsmith
19th Apr 2014, 08:27
110 signatures as of 0922 chaps, well done so far. Obviously the word is starting to spread. To that end I have sent an E Mail to Brian Keane, the General Secretary of The Welsh Guards Association, I'm hopeful that he will support the petition. I will report back and hopefully some more useful suggestions will be forthcoming. Thanks for the support so far, I'm sure Tash will be pleased with the progress.

smujsmith
19th Apr 2014, 19:14
202 as we go to press, I bet there's more who could sign up? Thanks to all who have "taken the pledge" so far. Keep spreading the word chaps, perhaps we can influence something in our country for once.

Tashengurt
19th Apr 2014, 19:32
I am very pleased Smuj. All credit to you though, you took my wee kernel and made it grow!

500N
19th Apr 2014, 19:35
Smuj

Over two hundred, that's great.

Those links worked !

smujsmith
19th Apr 2014, 19:46
500N,

A few more "tricks up the sleeves " yet, hopefully. How many do we need to be successful ? I'm thinking along the lines of the current RAF established strength, including reserves. Now, if they all signed we might get some traction. Keep at it all, noses to the grindstone. Tash, see what you've done, mobilised a team no less. Well done one and all, this is what service camaraderie is about. Thank you all for supporting the original suggestion from Tash. It's yet another honour to serve. 240 now and rising. Well done all for your efforts.

Please join this campaign: http://chn.ge/1kFyqTe

PS, Nutty, what have you started ??????

smujsmith
20th Apr 2014, 14:58
One short of 300 at time of posting. Must be some more PPruners who could assist. No apologies for the bump, we need every tick we can get. I have just enjoyed a family lunch to celebrate my 61st birthday, all in the pub were agreed to sign up, maybe I'm embarrasing to some:eek:

anotherthing
20th Apr 2014, 15:03
just signed... 300th signature :ok:

smujsmith
20th Apr 2014, 15:05
Smashing, anotherthing, and thank you. Please spread the word, and thanks again.

Rigga
20th Apr 2014, 22:43
For what its worth my wife and I watched the Prog and wondered then why he hadn't been awarded this honour.

We also wondered if he had already been offered it (or similar honour) but maybe he'd declined it?

I've added my vote to the Change list anyway.

smujsmith
21st Apr 2014, 09:51
Well done Rigga. 350 plus now, and I'm sure more to come. Thanks to all who have supported it so far, here's the link again to save page flipping ;

http://chn.ge/1kFyqTe

As of 2230 this evening 384, hopefully a good number for a few days. Well done all who have used their contacts to "get the vote out". More to come I'm sure.

smujsmith
22nd Apr 2014, 17:40
400 now Gentlemen. Anyone ever done a petition before, and how many do we need ? Looking for some advice here, it seems a bit slow today!!!

uffington sb
22nd Apr 2014, 17:58
Just signed as 401 :ok:

NutLoose
22nd Apr 2014, 20:38
I don't know, for it to be discussed in parliament I think reqs 100k.

E-Petitions and the Backbench Business Committee - UK Parliament (http://www.parliament.uk/e-Petitions-and-the-Backbench-Business-Committee)

smujsmith
22nd Apr 2014, 21:18
Blimey Nutty,

That's a long way to go. However, as the Carpenters might say "we've only just begun", I hope that this is like a network thing (chain letter?), where as you get someone's signature, they tell two others . I've written to loads of people who may have influence now, so that's just a matter of waiting for results. 500N has also used his best influence to attract some support. I suppose give it some time is the answer. Thanks for the info though, I've just upgraded the target, considerably.

500N
22nd Apr 2014, 21:20
Then again, you could just submit an application and someone might
think it has merit on it's own, without any need for additional signatures !

Tashengurt
23rd Apr 2014, 13:03
There didn't seem to be a link on Arrse which has got to be a rich seam for signatures.
There is now.

:ok:

smujsmith
23rd Apr 2014, 13:19
Well done Tash,

I tried to post one on there, but it seems to have lost my login. I'll have to create a new one soon. Thanks for the help, 447 as of a few minutes ago, steady progress.

A quick update, as of 1000 this morning 24 April we have 508 signatures. Lets hope we can get some more a lot faster. Its a long way to get 100,000. But there's no rush, and hopefully, as more sign on, more will be made aware of it. Thanks to all who have signed and spread the word.

Smudge

John Nichol
24th Apr 2014, 18:03
I think it would be reasonable to say I've shared a number of quiet beers with Simon - and quite a few very noisy ones.

I have let him know about this petition - and I'm fairly sure his response will be humble, grateful, and largely unprintable!

To those of you who didn't know, Simon was awarded an OBE some years ago for his charity work.

And reference the quote about the family in the restaurant saying unpleasant things about him - Whilst I have witnessed the like of these unpleasant comments whilst out drinking with him, I can also say that 99.9% of the good people of this land are totally respectful, welcoming and rather in awe of him. Which is curious, 'cos he really is a beer-swilling Taff.

NutLoose
24th Apr 2014, 18:21
There's nowt wrong with beer-swilling....... As for the Taff bit, well we all have some form of cross to bear ;)

smujsmith
24th Apr 2014, 18:42
John Nichol,

Thanks for that input. I'm sure that some perspective from someone who knows the man is invaluable. I suspect that Simon Weston is like many "real" ex servicemen who still have a grasp on reality, enjoys a few bevvies and is still doing so much for serving and ex injured servicemen. Beer swilling, well, who hasn't been there ? Anyway, as a personal friend of the man, perhaps you could assure him that our petition is no attempt to glorify him as some sort of Saint. It's more to do with recognising what is valuable and important to our nation in these days when even a win on "strictly come dancing" might elicit a gong from a "vote grasping" political party. Its time that the people decided who was honoured, not a politician with ulterior motives. As for the beer swilling, if he is ever near a pub I'm in, I would gladly fund a couple, for the honour. Thanks again for your post, I hope my response makes sense.

PS, if you are the John Nichol, Tonka Nav, we have actually met, in the back of a Herk many years ago. :ok:

John Nichol
25th Apr 2014, 09:09
Simon has responded thus:

"flattered....yak,yak......yup, still beer-swilling.........yak,yak......made me smile.....yak,yak....cross to bear - British by birth but WELSH BY THE GRACE OF GOD!!!"

& Smuj - I'm not sure if I am "the" John Nichol.....but I certainly am "a" John Nichol former GR1 Nav. And I certainly remember throwing up down the back of an Albert at 250ft on many occasions when I was on TCW as a Cpl!

Tashengurt
25th Apr 2014, 10:03
But has he signed?

smujsmith
25th Apr 2014, 11:53
John Nichol,

Thanks for that info, sounds like fun. Maybe he will make you laugh more when you take him for a "Knight" out. I know, Hat, coat.

smujsmith
1st May 2014, 19:20
Just 413 to make the thousand, I'm sure many can "rustle up" a couple of friends to get to 1000. I have the official form, I'm hoping to submit it with 1000 supporters. Sorry to bump this again, but I'm hoping for a bit of help.

smujsmith
8th May 2014, 21:20
Sorry gentlemen, I have my teeth into this now. We now have 600 signatures, but the going is slow. I plan to leave it live until the end of the month, then submit it with the official submission for awards. It would be nice to achieve a thousand signatures, so if any one can drum up a few more it would be great. I'm now holding my breath.

redsnail
9th May 2014, 14:30
Signed and put it on my FB page. :ok:

smujsmith
9th May 2014, 17:35
Thanks Redsnail,

That's what we need, a boost to get us to 1000, I know it sounds a low number, but when I sort it out and a thousand people support the official recommendation, they have to listen, surely.

ewe.lander
9th May 2014, 18:48
Well done Smiffy!

Fellow Herc mate has added my vote, the Welsh Geezer is so worthy (well, maybe Tom Jones in 'Mars Attack' is too?), but Simon has been an inspiration to all serving and ex-mob, forget Sportsmen and dodgy 'Captains of Industry', Simon deserves it!

Typical that the Tonka Nav threw up in the back of Albert.......

smujsmith
9th May 2014, 20:03
Well done Ewe, as they say these days. And thanks for your support. We will stick at it for a bit.

DevX
9th May 2014, 20:59
One more signature from a fellow Taff. :ok:

Chugalug2
9th May 2014, 22:20
Smudge, signed and 634 now. Sorry, a bit late on parade and I first had to scroll through the thread to realise that it carries this link to a petition:-

http://chn.ge/1kFyqTe

Might that be edited into your OP Nutloose? Then anyone opening the thread could be told that a petition to award a knighthood to Simon Weston is running and can be accessed via the link.

I realise that there is a dedicated thread on JB, but I rarely stray from this forum and I suspect many others here are the same. It might bump the supporters up through your 1000 mark a bit quicker Smudge...

smujsmith
9th May 2014, 22:32
Chug,

You are spot on correct, come on Nutty, edit your OP to include the link, it might help. Thanks for your support Chug and all others from the Mil Forum.

Brewers Droop
10th May 2014, 09:22
Simon Weston is an inspirational character who fully deserves such recognition.

I think my admiration comes in three main areas. Firstly, I am inspired by the spirit of a fellow comrade and professional in dealing with the reality and personal horror of war with honour, humility and courage. Secondly, Simon has done more to represent the vulnerable in society, particularly in the area of disfigurement (Changing Faces, BlondMcIndoe, Healing Foundation etc). At the same time challenging and even changing our stereotypes within society for the better. And finally as a human being – like many I am part of a generation that as a youngster watched the Falklands War and the subsequent horror of Simon’s demise on TV. I then spent my informative years and subsequent military career watching this inspirational character pick himself up, overcome adversity and then use his experience to help and inspire others. A true role model.

The Gov website says a knighthood is “awarded for having a major contribution in any activity, usually at national level. Other people working in the nominee’s area will see their contribution as inspirational and significant, requiring commitment over a long period of time”. Sounds like Simon to me...

Finally, if not already highlighted, I'd recommend the following short relativelly recent Interview BBC News - Simon Weston voted Britain's most heroic figure (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-25999454)

camlobe
10th May 2014, 19:45
Late to the table, my apologies. #649.

Can't think of anyone more deserving at present. Well done Smudge et al for getting this up and running.

Camlobe