PDA

View Full Version : Dubai bank advice?

Beatsaregularjob
12th Apr 2014, 00:14
Anyone out there recommend a good bank in Dubai?

Are there any benefits for EK drivers by chance?

Cheers

Tight Seat
12th Apr 2014, 04:53
RAK Bank seem to be really interested in getting EK pilots to sign up.

Big Buddha
12th Apr 2014, 05:22
Standard Chartered and Mashreq are both looking good, I would say.

Mashreq can get direct company letters from HR, probably SC too?

777boyindubai
12th Apr 2014, 05:32
Forget HSBC at all costs. Citibank is good. As is ENBD

skysod
12th Apr 2014, 06:24
Don't know why HSBC always gets a slating on here, I've been with them for almost 5 years now and had excellent service!

irish777
12th Apr 2014, 12:43
Ditto to HSBC being truly shocking. It's a franchise operation and not really HSBC. Have had no issues with Emirates NBD and been pleasantly surprised how good they have been. They seem to have the most ATMs, branch in HQ is a bonus and they will come out to visit you and give you various free credit cards.

ekwhistleblower
12th Apr 2014, 20:50
Standard Chartered have been great, very competitive and good E website

moggiee
21st Apr 2014, 04:18
Don't know why HSBC always gets a slating on here,
Because they deserve it. They had one branch in Al Ain - but recently closed it so that (according to their letter) they can "provide customers with a better service".

When I requested a new ATM card they cancelled the old one (without warning) 2 days before I got the new one. When I asked them "why?" they said that it was "policy" and that I could get cash by "popping into a branch in Dubai" (a 260km round trip).

Enough said, I think.

BigGeordie
21st Apr 2014, 06:38
I've been with HSBC for about 10 years and always had okay, if not exceptional, service. Then again I've never asked them to do anything more advanced than issue the odd check (cheque?) book and get money out of an ATM. I also bank with HSBC in the UK and find it easy to be able to see everything on one website.

I used Standard Chartered for a mortgage a couple of years back and they were excellent but they have fewer branches/service centres than HSBC.

Jet II
21st Apr 2014, 08:06
Ditto to HSBC being truly shocking. It's a franchise operation and not really HSBC.

Funnily enough we have had no real problems with the local HSBC but as for HSBC Expat in Jersey..... :mad:

tman2014
23rd Apr 2014, 09:35
Emirates NBD has the best online banking platform, so I would definitely recommend it. You can compare banks in the UAE (http://www.bayzat.com) here.

Vortex Thing
19th May 2014, 16:16
Most of the banks in Dubai are bad at the best of times when it comes to level of service.

I have banked with 4 of of the below banks and still bank with 1 of these banks so speak from experience of how bad some of the things they can do to you and how easily they can mismanage your affairs usually at the least convenient time and with the most devastating effect.

Some however are much much worse than others.

Here are some banks that you may want to sat well clear of even with someone else's money unless you really enjoy a hard life:

Standard Chartered
ADCB
HSBC

They are shockingly bad!

The other mains ones:-
ENDB, NBAD, Mashreq, RAK Bank are much of a muchness. They are very bad at some things, terrible at others things and mildly passable at most day to day.

Then there is a host of local ones that I never hear good things about but also don't really hear bad things about but they seem to have a handful of us from each airline out here. I speak of the likes of DIB, ADIB, etc

Good luck! VT

BANANASBANANAS
19th May 2014, 19:48
I have been with Emirates NBD since I got here 18 months ago. Generally happy enough with their service. The on line banking works well too. My only real gripe is that they recently moved the goalposts on minimum salary required to get priority banking and I now fall just the wrong side of the line. Oddly enough, 2 days after I got the email telling me that I no longer earned enough to qualify for priority banking they almost doubled the credit limit on my credit card. Go figure!

The branch in EGHQ is very convenient for the first couple of months after you join as you will be very busy and anything that saves time is a bonus. Thereafter, unless you will be working in EGHQ, it's less of a benefit.

They were also very good at replacing my debit card when I lost it - but I was still a priority customer then so maybe I wouldn't get the same service if it happened now.

scandistralian
20th May 2014, 04:07
I cancelled my credit card with NBD when they increased my credit limit without asking me, also in the process of migrating to a new bank due to the removal of Priority Banking privileges. I started the process with HSBC Premier, but also gave it a miss, as the expat service seemed to be just as clueless as any local bank here.

Has anyone noticed the exchange rate with NBD when you transfer USD abroad? It is ridiculous.

Anyway, if someone finds the perfect bank, please let us know!