PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen plane down

helicrazi
9th Apr 2014, 15:34
Appears to be a plane down in Aberdeenshire, lots of emergency attendance, any one know more?

incubus
9th Apr 2014, 15:48
A light aircraft has landed in a field in Aberdeenshire.
The aircraft touched down in a field near Stonehaven at about 16:00 on Wednesday afternoon.
It is understood the pilot was safe.
BBC News - Light aircraft lands in field near Stonehaven (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-26957977)

From STV:
A spokesman for Police Scotland said: "A twin engine light aircraft has made an emergency landing with one male onboard."
A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said the pilot is "complaining of a sore back."
Around 40 firefighters from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service are in attendance.

incubus
9th Apr 2014, 16:14
Picture on twitter (http://t.co/TEvNgN2iuF) - it seems to be a US-registered light twin which has put down in a ploughed field.

Unusual Attitude
9th Apr 2014, 16:30
Looks like a Navajo to me, good result pilot walking away. :D

UA

Chronus
9th Apr 2014, 18:04
Definetly a PA31 piston twin. Looks like he pulled off a good wheels up dead stick job, one Stb blade seems not bent . Must have lost both donks, bit unusual. Shouldn`t this be on another forum.

BOAC
9th Apr 2014, 18:32
From what I have seen recently it is in exactly the right place..............

vanhigher
9th Apr 2014, 20:57
No matter what happened that has to be a good result

BARKINGMAD
9th Apr 2014, 21:03
Short field landing?

Well done that man!

Cheerio
9th Apr 2014, 21:51
Aye, that's a few thoosand poonds o' prime malting barley that'll need to be payed...... You don't want to go tramping on an Aberdeenshire farmers freshly sown park.:p

ETOPS
9th Apr 2014, 22:34
Ferry flight from USA to France I believe..

Emergency plane landing in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, field leaves pilot injured | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2600871/Pilot-injured-emergency-landing-forced-bring-twin-engined-plane-ploughed-field.html)

Brian Abraham
9th Apr 2014, 23:16
Flown by the ginger headed one per chance? He has the necessary form.

fleigle
10th Apr 2014, 02:04
Great reporting...SINGLE SEATER, all of those windows are just for show!
Morons...
f

cats_five
10th Apr 2014, 06:18
Texture of the field looks a bit rough for it to have been seeded. One of the pics on the DM story has a bit of another field in the foreground which looks much smoother.

cldrvr
10th Apr 2014, 07:27
Did the ginger one run out of fuel once more?

Unusual Attitude
10th Apr 2014, 10:00
As much as I'm utterly fed up with poor journalistic standards nowadays, is it not often par for the course to remove all the seats to reduce weight and free up space for ferry tanks on such trips?

UA

dc9-32
10th Apr 2014, 10:05
Contaminated fuel by any chance ?
What was the last departure point ?

Crash one
10th Apr 2014, 10:57
"As firefighters battle to put out the blaze" nice one.

Unusual Attitude
10th Apr 2014, 11:02
Believe I saw somewhere that it had departed Wick en route France, would make sense as a stopping point for such a ferry trip. Suspect he ran into problems and was trying to divert to Aberdeen. Vectors for the 34 ILS would send him round Stonehaven way.

Regards

UA

Northern Listener
10th Apr 2014, 11:12
Yes, out of Wick.
You can pretty much guarantee his tanks would have been full if the fuel man there gets his way. (As he normally does)

But the fuel is trucked up from the London, often in tankers used for petrol stations. I'd also look at the lab paperwork too, very closely. ;)

NorthSouth
10th Apr 2014, 11:44
Then again he might only have stopped at Wick for a pee....

dc9-32
10th Apr 2014, 14:54
......or to sample the delights of Wick and I don't mean the town :-(

ifonly
10th Apr 2014, 17:49
Then again he might only have stopped at Wick for a pee....

One heck of a pee - I understand it may have been in Wick for a few weeks !

1974 Piper Chieftain (http://www.wingstream.com/aircraft/piston/piston-twin/1974-piper-chieftain-229.html)

Looked like it only had a couple of seats.

vanhigher
10th Apr 2014, 20:33
looks a right knacker to be fair .....

ksjc
10th Apr 2014, 21:06
What a heap. And it was flown across the N Atlantic? I've always considered myself a "can do" fellow but I would have declined that job offer on sight. Just me though...many braver souls out there It seems.

fleigle
11th Apr 2014, 01:32
Well it looks like it started its journey more than 4 months ago, lots of delays on the way.
You can look at this link to flightaware and see that, if you want to.
f
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N66886

long final
11th Apr 2014, 06:41
Think I saw that one in BGSF in January. Been battered by 70kt winds on the ramp. Amazed me anyone would fly it across. I thought it was heading for Thailand though!!

papazulu
11th Apr 2014, 12:13
looks a right knacker to be fair

Is that a polite way of describing a bag of cr@p? :}

It looks like it spent some days as meat-bomber to me. Surprisingly similar in "state of preservation" to a couple of ancient twin-turbine based in the UK, though.

PZ :E

debiassi
26th Apr 2014, 10:09
Unfortunately the clients want cheap chieftains at ridiculous money and just hope they make it across the large expanses of water so they can have their nifty little mechanics make them safe to carry patients around and make them a shed load of money.

If the aircraft is safe enough for the pilot, well thats an afterthought???
When you make a list of pre requisites, including putting in a cylinder due to a thirtysomething reading on an engine that is 80 hrs away from TBO, well thats just too much and they go and find another pilot.

With regards to going through Wick, whether the aircraft was stranded there for some time isnt in my opinion of any relevance, It was also stranded in Sondrestrom when the original Thai (Air Crew) felt enough was enough and they abandoned it. ( I wonder why)
Well actually here is why.

The pilots reported that the oil temps and pressures were decreasing.
They were running W100 with the ambient below -25 and they were correctly advised to change the filters and oil to W80 or preferably W15W50 multigrade.
24qts were despatched and the aircraft continued to Wick.
A second ferry pilot went to recover the aircraft who incidentally wasnt fat, nor did he have ginger hair.

Upon reaching, a popping sound could be heard associated with a valve/cylinder issue and a compression check on the Stbd engine showed 15/80.
A brand new cylinder was fitted and signed off by a licensed FAA A&P and the aircraft released back to service.

What happened thereafter isnt really for posting but save to say that Far North acted impeccably and the reports will undoubtedly show that this incident WAS NOT fuel related so please bear this in mind before casting any unfounded aspersions which may adversely affect someones livelihood.

I have been through Wick on more occasions than I care to remember and I can only recommend Far North and Andrew as a very professional fixed based operator who completely understands the needs of GA and professional pilots alike.