PDA

View Full Version : Cosolidation of the Airline Market

Paddle Steamer
19th May 2002, 06:09
An article appeared in the Business day 14May.It now appears that SAA will continue to discuss the purchase of SAX and are in the process of restructuring the balance sheet( read selling off of assets)with SAA taking over the debt burden of SAX.Further to this is the confirmation that the merger of Airlink and SAX is now off,according to the article. Airlink seem to be sitting back and wiaitnig for the dust to settle and then separate talks on a possible merger of whatever remains of SAX. Anyone know anything more concrete than a newspaper article?

spacedaddy
21st May 2002, 11:27
I'm wondering what will now happen with Airlink buying virtual control of the new Air Namibia. I am told that Airlink only wants Air Namibia to become a regional feeder for SAA and that it was planned for two embraer's to be placed there and drop completely the European route. This does not make Namibia happy.
I also wonder if Airlinks supposed wetleases to Flywell (zim) and Zambian Express under (again) supposed franchises have been orchaestrated to make Airlink seem to be a more attractive catch for SAA. Mr. Foster must want a lot more than SAA is willing to give.
Does anyone know any more about this?