PDA

View Full Version : Progress Progress

jas24zzk
7th Apr 2014, 11:35
For those that aren't aware,
YCEM (Coldstream) is now a fully sealed strip.

There is still some fine loose stuff on top, awaiting another power sweep in about a months time, but very very smooth!

more details:-

From the pprune rules:
•No links to other aviation websites

:ok:

Old Akro
8th Apr 2014, 09:02
Does it still have a bend in the middle??

jas24zzk
8th Apr 2014, 09:22
Been some time since you visited Akro?

The bend was removed quite a few years ago, about the time the additional taxiway was installed.

YCEM is undergoing a heap of development at the moment. The sealing is the most recent addition to the New Flying School, AWIS, Drainage and Hangars.

smiling monkey
8th Apr 2014, 10:18
YCEM is undergoing a heap of development at the moment. The sealing is the most recent addition to the New Flying School, AWIS, Drainage and Hangars.

How about a new webmaster? :ouch:

kaz3g
8th Apr 2014, 10:33
Does it still have a bend in the middle??

Golly OK...you must have been around a long while ago. Not only has the bend gone, along with the "cross-strip", but the main strip has moved a bit, too.

I just hope they have kept the grass and perhaps even built it up a bit as it is much kinder on a TW than either gravel or bitumen.

Kaz

triton140
9th Apr 2014, 07:51
Good to see investments being made in GA airfields, well done to the Coldstream mob! :ok:

I had high hopes when Roger invested heaps in fixing up our 36R/18L, thought he might have planned on sealing it, but it's now pretty much back to where it was unfortunately. :{

VH-XXX
9th Apr 2014, 09:39
Sealing a strip properly is big bucks. Doing it properly depending on the width could set you back upwards of $30k per 100 metres.

How wide is the "new" strip now?

jas24zzk
9th Apr 2014, 11:57
Smiling monkey:-
You must realise that the YCEM website involves 3 different groups.
Yarra Valley Flight Training, Coldsteeam Flyers and Coldstream Airfield.

That takes a large logistical input, alll done by volunteers. If you think you could do it better, or could co-ordinate it better, I'm sure the people involved would appreciate your efforts.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
VH-XXX

The strip conforms to the relevant CAAP on ala design so the real width between the gables is 60m (?) the sealed area is about 10 m.
Seriously for anyone reading, if you can't stick it in the middle of the sealed area, then you don't even deserve a GFPT.

don't shoot me, i'm with triton140.
I'm simply promoting positive aviation developments at my home field.

________
Disclaimer
I have nothing financial to gain by telling you about these developments. I am JUST a pilot that flies from YCEM and am writing my posts to keep those who may be intersted informed.

Enjoy killing avgas guys

Old Akro
9th Apr 2014, 23:24
Good to see investments being made in GA airfields, well done to the Coldstream mob!

Here here!

And I'm embarrassed to say that the last time I went to Coldstream, Ian Sharp may have been mowing on a tractor.

Xray Tango
9th Apr 2014, 23:32
So, will lilydale be using the strip now when the rain closes there's ?

smiling monkey
9th Apr 2014, 23:47
That takes a large logistical input, alll done by volunteers. If you think you could do it better, or could co-ordinate it better, I'm sure the people involved would appreciate your efforts.

I'm not saying I could do better, but if you're going to provide a link to a website that is, at the moment, coming up with errors, then it doesn't leave a good impression. Just saying.

jas24zzk
10th Apr 2014, 11:46
Point taken.

I;m not on the website committee, but a few of them do read here, So i'm sure your points will be taken on board and addressed as fast as volunteers can.

I'm going to hold my thoughts neutral.

Come Visit...

Edited to add:

It doesn't leave a good impression with the mods when you break the rules about posting links to other websites, either.

To the annonymous mod...very interesting to see how the rules get applied. I found at least 50 links to other aviation sites within 5 minutes of looking and I wasn't even trying. Thank-you for ensuring I am posting within the rules and your contact and guidance on the subject

jas24zzk
10th Apr 2014, 11:49
Lilydale never closes...it just becomes shorter and type limited..............

Coldstream has been an all weather full length strip (without dogleg) for quite a few years now. Now it just more prop friendly to those without gravel training

:ok:

jas24zzk
10th Apr 2014, 11:51
Sharpie? LOL you ARE old!!!

Ian sent me on my first powered solo in RAI waaaaay back!

A definate gentleman!

VH-XXX
10th Apr 2014, 21:10
I hope they will be able to land their MU2 at Lilydale when it's ready!

kaz3g
11th Apr 2014, 12:23
Ian gave me a TW endo in BIK in about 1984.

Kaz

kaz3g
11th Apr 2014, 12:26
Trust me...Lilydale was closed for several days just a few years ago and that wasn't the first time.

Kaz

Xray Tango
12th Apr 2014, 15:32
Correct, a lot longer than a few days. They based the charter ops at mmb for several months to enable the snow charters. It's a very very ugly place when it rains. Wonder if refusing the ycem boys to use the lilydale strip after returning from the atc seminar one evening will stop him from using the Coldstream " sealed runway " during the wet season ??

jas24zzk
13th Apr 2014, 12:24
I doubt it.

YCEM has been an all weather strip for quite a few years now, and he's never asked to use it before...but then that may have been lease holder related.

The other thing that may have kept him away is that it was a gravel strip. Convincing pilots that 1000 rpm and feet off the brakes is MORE than enough to taxy with is a lot more difficult that one would assume.

With the change in lease holder YLIL might be more inclined to ask. The new lease holder is maintaining and building a good working relationship with the YLIL operators.

And not all YCEM boys were refused usage of YLIL for that seminar. I believe it was based on night recency into the strip on a case by case basis....I wasn't refused. (did a night renewal about a month beforehand)

--------------------------------

come visit. friendly place, talk planes..peer at planes...watch others learn planes(or others trying to recall what the instructor said)

Cheers
Jas

VH-XXX
13th Apr 2014, 12:34
You talked me into coming over for a look-see Jas. What day is the busiest with the most activity during the week, or do I just wait till the weekend? Is there a weekend BBQ or anything?

jas24zzk
15th Apr 2014, 09:54
Check your pm's mate

Alice Kiwican
15th Apr 2014, 11:02
Ahh memories! I did my first solo in RAI in 1988 and Sharpie sent me on my merry way with a PPL in 1989. He also did my tail wheel endo and aerobatics endo's in BIK!

Mish A
17th Apr 2014, 02:37
Memories.........

Did my first solo at YCEM in MIS in Feb 2011.

Still remember in April 2009 driving over the rise on Killara Rd and seeing the airport for the first time and thinking it's the most beautiful airport in Australia. Haven't been there for 18 months but I reckon it still holds the title.

I'm sure some of those training props will enjoy less contact with the gravel.