PDA

View Full Version : ATO wanted, to re-train PPL(A)

Turb
6th Apr 2014, 11:32
I am looking for an ATO which has experience in re-training lapsed PPLs. I have searched this forum but the threads which are more-or-less relevant are all a bit old.

I qualified in 1994 and held UK CAA PPL(A) (single engine) and RT (restricted) licences. I have flown 330 hrs PIC and 57 hrs dual, so just under 400 hrs in total, with my last annual stamp in 2002. I am 62 years old. I have flown 21 types but most of my time was in a Turbulent. I have flown to France, Spain, Portugal and Morocco, both in the Turb and in a Cessna 172 with folding bikes in the back. I never did much local flying, I always wanted to go somewhere. But I am strictly a fair-weather flyer.

I am looking for an ATO which will help me plan a re-training course which starts as if I was ab-initio but then takes me through each stage at a speed which is appropriate to any residual ability which I might have. I expect to spend as much time as a novice on some parts of the training but I hope to cover other parts more quickly, and I don't want to be forced to spend several hours doing something which I can demonstrate I already know how to do. I want to end up with a licence which is valid for EASA and non-EASA single-engine aircraft up to 4 seats including 3-axis microlights. I need an organisation which really understands the licensing law (some people I have spoken to clearly don't) and will supply at least one reference from a person who they have successfully re-trained and re-validated.

The ATO could be near to my home in Gloucestershire or it could be literally anywhere if I can book three or four days' intensive training at a time (weather permitting) and stay locally.

I have found one possibility but I would like to cast the net wider before making a choice. Any suggestions?

I also need to study air law again - I have a feeling it's changed a bit!

Jude098
6th Apr 2014, 12:08
Hi
I fly out of Glos.
James Peplow (07855409512) has the only (I think) EASA ATO at Glos. He uses a PA28 Warrior and an tail dragger Citabria. Aircraft Differences Training - EASA Approved Training Organisation, Tailwheel conversion, PPL training, LAPL, IMC Rating, PA28, PA28RG, Warrior, Citabria, post PPL qualifications, safety pilot, complex aircraft (http://www.aircraftdifferencestraining.co.uk/)

Jude

Turb
6th Apr 2014, 12:56
Thanks Jude098. I'll speak to him next week.

stevelup
7th Apr 2014, 08:12
Speak to Phil Mathews - Cotswold Aero Club - 01452 713924

He is, to all intents and purposes, a legend.

Johnm
7th Apr 2014, 11:19
Another recommendation for Phil Mathews:ok:

http://www.cotswoldaeroclub.com/

late-joiner
7th Apr 2014, 14:20
Also based at Kemble and Oaksey are Freedom Aviation
Freedom Aviation - Flying Club Training Learn to Fly PPL IMC IR(R) and Night rating and Aircraft Leasing (http://freedomaviation.co.uk/#!/page_home)
Very good value.

Turb
7th Apr 2014, 14:30
Thanks to all who have replied. I am getting back in the saddle on Thursday, weather permitting. First time for 12 years. Now, let's see if I can remember... it's pull back on the stick to slow down and push both rudder pedals to brake, and if you are talking to a female ATC you have to say "dear" at the end of each transmission... or something like that. I expect it will all come back.

Jude098
7th Apr 2014, 14:48
If any ATC ended with "dear" to me as a female pilot I might have something to say back to them lol.

Where did you decide on?

Turb
7th Apr 2014, 15:31
So long as the Tower doesn't tell you to not bother your pretty little head when you just done a PAN call I don't think you should worry too much.

I am going to go back to my roots, tail dragging off a farm strip. It's your fault, sorry, suggestion :)

If you don't hear from me again it'll mean it's all gone horribly wrong. I will either have pranged the kite, or the instructor will have suggested I take up knitting, or my wife will have looked at the bank balance.....

Jude098
7th Apr 2014, 20:07
Had 1st flight in a Cubby. There's a share going at Glos :) But maybe the wife might check the bank balance.

Have fun

Turb
22nd Apr 2014, 20:09
Re-training all done and signed off; class 2 medical done. Into the post tomorrow morning goes a letter with ten enclosures for the CAA to peruse. I hope they understand their systems because I do not. I have found the flying challenging and enjoyable. The paperwork has been a pure nightmare. I suspect it's not the CAA's fault. At the risk of being accused of talking politics I would hazard a guess that it's Europe that has fouled up the procedures to the point where a reasonably intelligent person like me struggles to understand them.

Jude098
22nd Apr 2014, 21:20
Well done.
Where are you flying from now then?

Turb
23rd Apr 2014, 07:56
@Jude - That's the next step. Three options:
1. Join a group. Most likely outcome. I have flown a lot of different aircraft and owned shares in a Robin DR400 and a C172 at different times - I would prefer a 4 seater.
2. Find a strip with a hangar and buy my own plane. Planes are not too hard to buy; the difficulty is finding the strip! If I do this it will probably have to be a 2 seater on a permit (or even something like a Kitfox) because I don't think I could afford the running costs of a 4 seater on my own.
3. Form a group to buy land and build a strip. The best group I ever belonged to was the Waveny Flying Group which owned Seething airfield. Owning your own place as well as the plane can be a wonderful arrangement and during my time the WFG was very well run by some very astute people. My home includes a field but it's only 200m long and the approach is awful. So I would have to hunt for a site. At the moment, if the location is right and the application is done right, it's possible to get planning permission much more easily than in the past. I have one friend with his own plane who is renting a field and a very poor quality barn at the moment and we have already discussed buying some land. But it's a lot of work to get something like that "off the ground" so an established group is the most likely option.

I'll start looking in earnest when I get my new EASA and NPL licences from the CAA.

dubbleyew eight
23rd Apr 2014, 13:22
well turb good on you for getting back in the air.

btw I wouldn't dismiss buying a turbulent for honest enjoyment.

Turb
24th Apr 2014, 10:52
But my wife would object to sitting astride the rear fuselage and clinging on to me motorcycle fashion; also I'm not sure about the weight and balance. On second thoughts, for the sake of domestic harmony, I'd better scrap the reference to weight and concentrate on the balance.

Turb
8th Jun 2014, 15:20
Well I now have my new licence, but I have 4 complaints about the CAA.

1. My experience suggests that it is impossible to contact a real person and enquiries are fobbed off.
2. I read their website carefully and sent a cheque for £106.00 with my application on 23 April. After 17 working days - not the 10 which they claim- I received an ungrammatical email on 16 May telling me that the fee would be £160- in other words they wanted another £54. I telephoned the number provided and the person at the other end demanded £89. I decided to pay this because the email made it clear that if my application was not completed within 30 days it would be cancelled and I would be charged £108 as a cancellation fee plus a fee of £25 for refunding my original payment. I have therefore paid a total of £195 which means I have been overcharged either £89 if my original calculation of the fee was correct or I have been overcharged £35 if their calculation is correct. I wrote to the individual who sent me the email on 16 May but I have never received a reply.
3. My original licence included an SLMG rating - this has been omitted from my new licence.
4. I also had a microlight rating and this has also been omitted.

Throughout this very unpleasant experience the tone of all the CAA's communications has been condescending and borderline agressive.

I saw an article in one of the flying magazines a few months ago which said that following the red tape challenge the CAA was going to change its ways and become more user friendly. Does anyone have a copy of that article because it included the name of the relevant Government Minister and I want to write to him.

Johnm
8th Jun 2014, 16:29
The relevant government minister is Grant Shapps