PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Scots boys

thing
5th Apr 2014, 13:08
I'm off up t'top end Scotland for a week's flying at the end of May. Regarding the restricted area over most of Scotland during the week; what's it like getting a transit of said area or do you just sail over it at 5,000+? I'm going to be based on the Moray Firth and will probably have a look at the Islands over to the west while I'm there. I think there's a general consensus that landing on the sand at Barra has to be done.

Also are there any hidden gems that we need to see while there? We'll be looking at 600m minimum being as it will be summer (he said jokingly) and we will be probably be two or three up.

Incidentally already done Oban, Glenforsa and flown up the Great Glen to Inverness.

dont overfil
5th Apr 2014, 15:47
You can fly over the top or get permission from Tain range to fly through. This is usually granted. I don't have the info at hand but the activity is limited to a few hours in the middle of the day.

Try Plockton and walk into the town for lunch. Fabulous sea food at the Plockton Hotel.

Kirkwall on Orkney is a must for an overnight. I would recommend the Highland Park distillery tour then spend the night at the Ayres Hotel at the harbour.

So many places to visit there's not enough room here. Finally just a personal view. Don't bother with Cambeltown or Broadford.<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/66461/7322503698"

http://<iframe src=

D.O.

thing
5th Apr 2014, 16:36
Kirkwall on Orkney is a must for an overnight. I would recommend the Highland Park distillery tourI was planning on Kirkwall anyway but it looks like a must do now! Thanks for the heads up on Plockton.

Edit: Just looked at your photos and thought, 'Crikey it looks almost tropical...'...

astir 8
5th Apr 2014, 17:20
Comment about seafood at Plockton hotel is endorsed.

Don't sail over Scotland at 5000' You'll miss the all good bits in the highlands!

(Stay above the RAF's level though! That's normally 300 feet or less agl)

dont overfil
5th Apr 2014, 19:25
Quote:
Kirkwall on Orkney is a must for an overnight. I would recommend the Highland Park distillery tour
I was planning on Kirkwall anyway but it looks like a must do now! Thanks for the heads up on Plockton.

Edit: Just looked at your photos and thought, 'Crikey it looks almost tropical...'...
Ah! Some are. I was trying to post the sunset shot over the Peedie Sea from the hotel. Looks like you have a few extras!
D.O.

FC80
6th Apr 2014, 12:12
Just a few nuggets of info, hope they help!

The Highland Restricted Area is only active 1500-2300 local Mon-Thu.

Tain Range may be able to give you crossing of R610 C or D - but they are only outlying parts and not the main, enormous chunk of it covering pretty much the whole of Northern Scotland. The only way to get access to that is to phone the low flying booking cell and any time I've tried I've normally been told to naff off.

Cruising over at 5000 feet will, thanks to our unique climate :E, often be IMC and on a day with any wind, rough as guts! It's a very mountainous area, generally speaking. Icing may be an issue apart from a couple of days in July as well.

Hope you get good weather for it, it's the most spectacular part of the UK and can be stunningly beautiful if the met plays ball!

thing
6th Apr 2014, 17:28
Thanks all. I was flying up there last May, although it was only an overnight stop. The weather was perfect, hoping for the same this time!

Maoraigh1
6th Apr 2014, 19:35
Cockpit view videos of flying in the Highlands, and landing at a few airfields.

Mull is "Usually the last May Bank Holiday."

https://www.youtube.com/user/Uisgebeathamadadhrua

NASTYNAS
6th Apr 2014, 21:04
remember. 119.875 for a great basic service;)

Sam Rutherford
7th Apr 2014, 15:01
Apologies for 'slight' thread hijack - but another question for our northern neighbours.

What happens to their airspace after independence?

Perhaps there's an easy answer, or is that another unknown at the moment?

Fly safe, Sam.

piperboy84
7th Apr 2014, 15:39
What happens to their airspace after independence?

I,m sure our very own Hitler of the Highlands, Air Reichmarshal Eck has a cunning plan.

jaycee46
7th Apr 2014, 15:47
Just to add to Sam's slight thread drift, as well as airspace, there are questions of licencing, aircraft registration, ATC etc, etc.

Slippery Eck, The Sainted Nicola and their separist pals don't seem to have many answers to this one either! No surprise there then!

I'll probably get a call now - not Scottish enough!

Plockton for the nosh, Mull, because it's Mull, or Dornoch if you fancy a game of golf, are all worth a visit, while you still can!

thing
7th Apr 2014, 20:19
Anybody ever done Fair Isle? Anything there worth seeing? Just popped it up on Gogglerth and there doesn't seem to be much there.

riverrock83
8th Apr 2014, 09:03
On independence - what they said was that initially nothing would change. NATs would still be contracted to continue the service they provide and admin would still be handled by the CAA down South.
I suspect that Scottish registrations would eventually appear, and airport designations would change from EG-

Most things are EASA controlled anyway so not a huge amount would be able to be changed anyway.

Bigger question would be about organisations which operate both sides of the border, like the LAA. Would it cease to exist north of the boarder? Would there need to be an LAA (Scotland) created, with higher fees for all of us up North?

Of course - we could stop all this speculation by putting an X in the correct box :ok:

But this has been discussed on here in other threads.

Maoraigh1
8th Apr 2014, 20:38
Anything there worth seeing?

Birds. Seabirds mainly.

thing
8th Apr 2014, 22:49
Ta, will probably give it a miss then.

Unusual Attitude
9th Apr 2014, 09:43
remember. 119.875 for a great basic service

I can second that, I had the whole frequency to myself about a month ago at 8am on a Sunday morning en route from Perth to DTV!! Pretty much 1 to 1 service!!! :E

Still had to ask me my type 3 times though.......!!

fisbangwollop
9th Apr 2014, 17:34
Unusual Attitude.....
Quote:
remember. 119.875 for a great basic service
I can second that, I had the whole frequency to myself about a month ago at 8am on a Sunday morning en route from Perth to DTV!! Pretty much 1 to 1 service!!!

Still had to ask me my type 3 times though.......!!

Looks like I will have to pin up a photo of the wee bomb on the sector so some of our recent recruits can understand what your machine looks like :cool::cool::cool:

India Four Two
9th Apr 2014, 18:55
Ta, will probably give it a miss then.

You're obviously not a twitcher then. ;)

Seriously though, how can you miss out on landing on Fair Isle, when you are passing by?

thing
9th Apr 2014, 20:02
I'm not passing by...just wondered whether it was worth heading up there from Kirkwall bearing in mind I've a few other places to visit and not a bottomless pocket!:)

Unusual Attitude
9th Apr 2014, 20:03
Looks like I will have to pin up a photo of the wee bomb on the sector so some of our recent recruits can understand what your machine looks like

Thanks Fisbang, you might want to hold off though as its mid rebuild right now, gonna look a whole lot different when its done! I'm certainly keeping the carbon fibre industry going right now thats for sure!! :\

dont overfil
10th Apr 2014, 10:37
I'm not passing by...just wondered whether it was worth heading up there from Kirkwall bearing in mind I've a few other places to visit and not a bottomless pocket!:)
No landing fees at Fair Isle or indeed most of the other small islands.

D.O.

140KIAS
10th Apr 2014, 19:23
+1 for DO's suggestion. Definitely visit the outer islands including Westray / Papa Westray. At the end of May its going to be light until quite late - probably at least 10pm if not later.

mad_jock
10th Apr 2014, 19:30
You need to drop into the fair isles if nothing else but to send a postcard to yourself from the post office.

The postmaster runs the airfield as well.

The cliff walks are out of this world.

thing
10th Apr 2014, 23:26
I can see me finishing up at Unst on the Shetlands at this rate...

mad_jock
11th Apr 2014, 07:10
And go and slide down the talcum powder pile in the harbour.

There is worse things you could do.

hambleoldboy
12th Apr 2014, 17:52
"No landing fees at Fair Isle or indeed most of the other small islands."

False.

Contrary to the fees list on the Fair Isle web page the landing fee is now £20 and will be gleefully pocketed by the NT for Scotland Warden.

Similarly on Foula which has even fewer facilities the fee is £20.

You must absolutely not interfere with the sacred Islander flights on any of the islands served by them. The risk management / duty of care / health and safety / hi vis jacket / ppr / basic service morons have seen to that...

The best places to visit are Sollas beach (free) or Lamb Holm.

dont overfil
13th Apr 2014, 09:19
Our shareoplane did a tour of as many of the small islands as possible a couple of years ago.

Maybe I should have said fees not collected.

D.O.

timewhite
13th Apr 2014, 15:05
Could I ask don't overfil why Broadford is not worth bothering with? I was thinking of flying up from Fishburn via Oban to Plockton this summer, and had thought of making the hop over to Skye.

dont overfil
14th Apr 2014, 08:47
Broadford has no facilities at all and is used as a storage yard by the council. It is about three quarters of a mile from the village which has little to offer. Portree is about 25 miles by road.

If you could organise a hire car to be delivered to the airfield it could be OK.

Landing fee was £25 + VAT for a C182 two years ago.

PPR is a must. On one occasion we were in the area and decided to have a closer look. On hearing us a council worker drove his van on to the runway. Just for devilment we got close on the way back and he did the same again. The runway is in good condition but watch for the land yachts!

D.O.

fisbangwollop
14th Apr 2014, 18:48
Loch Lomond Sea a Planes now have a Cessna 208 Caravan based at Broadford doing daily scenic tours around Skye. If you need an update on conditions there give them a call, number in their web site. :cool:

http://www.lochlomondseaplanes.com

timewhite
14th Apr 2014, 21:02
Thanks to dont overfil and fisbang, very helpful.