PDA

View Full Version : USMC's New Policy Doctrine

Boudreaux Bob
5th Apr 2014, 11:09
The United States Marine Corps is about to issue its new Doctrine Policy which makes it an "Expeditionary Force" that is to be highly mobile, light, fast reacting and moves on beyond the traditional concepts of Assault from the Sea.

Hard Corps: Marine?s ?Expeditionary Force 21? To Be ?Fast, Austere, & Lethal,? And Expensive « Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary (http://breakingdefense.com/2014/04/hard-corps-marines-expeditionary-force-21-to-be-fast-austere-lethal-and-expensive/?utm_source=Breaking+Defense&utm_campaign=aa89e31869-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4368933672-aa89e31869-407864117)

Flugplatz
5th Apr 2014, 20:14
We had the same sort of thing with 16 Air Assault Bde on a much smaller scale. Going in it works okay but it seems that being in place, such formations then get bogged down with the work they've been given. Then they get heavier units attached. Ideally those heavier units gradually take over and the mobile units go back to being mobile. Doesn't always happen and they end up heavily committed with insufficient equipment/firepower. 'Insufficient' is probably a relative term if we are discussing the USA! :)

I remember a NATO Ex. in Norway, seeing the USMC Amtraks miles inland but at least having their armoured protection and mobility. Hope they don't cut back on the USMC armoured capability, or at least attach some M1s? I assume they are not thinking of cutting back on their own air support?

Flug

Mr C Hinecap
5th Apr 2014, 21:06
They have been working towards getting back to their roots for a while. Ops in Iraq and Afghanistan had turned them into a chubby shadow of their former self and they knew a back to basics was needed to remain relevant. I thought there would have been more about operational energy in there as it has been a huge effort in their R&D world. They were spending more time defending their logistics tail than stabbing and strangling the bad guys, most of that being fuel moving around.