PDA

View Full Version : China's PLA to operate under ADF...seriously?

Buster Hyman
4th Apr 2014, 03:23
China to take our orders in war games (http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/china-to-take-our-orders-in-war-games-20140403-361k9.html)

Anyone else see an ulterior motive here? I'd love to know what Washington has to say about any use of US military technology in this.

500N
4th Apr 2014, 03:36
It raised my eyebrows but, it says the "humanitarian rescue components"
of the exercise.

Now Aus (ADF) and China have conducted an exercise together before - in China - to do with SAR and emergency responses etc etc. And then you have the current warm and fuzzies going on in Perth / RAAF Pearce with Australian Aircrew (pilot) on board the Chinese aircraft and taking orders from Aus.

A RAN Ship also did an exercise with Chinese Navy ships about a year ago.

So, IF they were to be commanded by anyone, it wouldn't surprise me if
they preferred to work with Australia than anyone else.

It wouldn't be Japan so who else does that leave that they respect AND
don't have a current on going dispute with ?

TBM-Legend
4th Apr 2014, 03:57
It's not what they learn about us but what we learn about them...

Sun Tsu says stay close to your friends and closer to your enemies!

Heathrow Harry
4th Apr 2014, 11:21
Two-way street

We learn their strengths and weaknesses and vice versa - and who knows, we might learn something useful

500N
4th Apr 2014, 15:09
The RAAF monitored the Chinese Navy Ships that went through the straits early this year. It's not like the Chinese don't know we watch and listen to the exercises they conduct.

Sun Who
4th Apr 2014, 16:38
TBM -Legend said:

Sun Tsu says stay close to your friends and closer to your enemiesNope, he actually said " Know yourself and know your enemy and you will always be victorious."

Pedant mode off:}

Your point is still well made matey.

Sun.

MrBernoulli
4th Apr 2014, 20:13
Sun Tsu says stay close to your friends and closer to your enemies!I think that particular quote is often attributed to Sun Tzu, but it actually seems to come from The Godfather Part II (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Godfather_Part_II). The following Sun Tzu wisdom is probably closest to it:It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.

But your point is made. :ok:

onetrack
5th Apr 2014, 04:46
There's no military component in the exercise, the media has used "war-games" in the title, as a classic misleading, news-selling cliche.

It's in everyones interest to ensure that processes, commands and information dissemination techniques are standardised - or each chain of commands SOP's are understood, so that they can work together more effectively in joint SAR operations.

I'll wager a lot is being learnt already, from both the Chinese and the Australians sides, in the current SAR operation for MH370.

No-one is about to share their deepest defence secrets with another country, despite what the media tries to make out. And the bottom line is - vast amounts are already known about other nations capabilities, it's just the latest cutting-edge technology and its operational limits, is where the fuzziness begins.

Heathrow Harry
5th Apr 2014, 08:27
The Naval arm of the PLA seems to have adopted USN carrier deck ops as a standard without ever participating in a "war game"

probably sat up all night reading all the bumf produced by teh PR dept in Washington and watching "Top Gun"

Just This Once...
5th Apr 2014, 09:01
Anyone else see an ulterior motive here? I'd love to know what Washington has to say about any use of US military technology in this.

Probably offered even more US military technology, some blank digital media and a pre-paid envelope to Fort Meade…

Heathrow Harry
6th Apr 2014, 13:16
if they could get past the Israelis, the Europeans and the Russians

all offering some of Lenin's Rope at knock down prices

Surplus
6th Apr 2014, 13:43
So, the Chinese ship that got the aircraft locator beacon hits was outside the 'designated' search area. Could the Chinese possibly have a more accurate datum to search? Just good luck that they got the hits the day before the guaranteed battery life ended? I wondered after week 1, how the major powers would narrow the search down to a smaller area, without giving away capabilities. OTHR anybody?

Radar, Chinese OTHR, 5800 kHz, April 05, 2013, 1321 UTC - YouTube

Don't watch all of it, Sun is correct, it's boring.

Sun Who
6th Apr 2014, 13:51
That has to win the prize for both the geekiest and the most boring video ever posted to PPRUNE.:bored:

Sun.

Surplus
6th Apr 2014, 14:04
You ain't an ESM operator then? They love that sort of thing!

onetrack
6th Apr 2014, 14:15
Could the Chinese possibly have a more accurate datum to search? Just good luck that they got the hits the day before the guaranteed battery life ended?I could pretty well guarantee you that a lot of very busy Chinese laddies have been poring over the Immarsat numbers and constantly refining them. I'll wager they've also done the same with all the Malaysian radar results.
The Chinese are gung-ho, they're not about to sit around and wait for someone else in the Western world, to give them the figures and calculations.
Don't forget there's probably around 5M Chinese who have been educated to high technical levels in Western countries.

Sun Who
6th Apr 2014, 14:21
You ain't an ESM operator then? They love that sort of thing!
20 odd years working ARAR/ARAX and Yellowgate chap, and I still think that waterfall video is 4 1/2 minutes of my life I'll never get back. :} Interesting to someone though I s'pose. ;)

Sun.

Surplus
6th Apr 2014, 14:49
ARAR/ARAX, there's a blast from the past, at least you got a good fire control call and a brg. Not many geeks missed a snoop either.