PDA

View Full Version : Struggle for be a heli pilot.

Sycamore Seed
3rd Apr 2014, 18:40
Hi everyone.

I am new in this forum and I would like to consult your opinion. About what happening to me.

I told you a bit about my history...
I was electrician in 2008 in Spain and everything look good to me to try to get my dream become a heli pilot so I move to barcelona I take a ATPL(H)(JAA) course (I did 119h in R22, 25h in AS355 and 60 in EC135 sim).
Everything going very well in Spain was a lot of opportunities for pilot without experience as I will be.
I finished in 2010 and everything in Spain turned wrong. The crisis start and I was not able to get a job as pilot there.
After two year calling, visiting and emailing companies in Spain I give up and I decided to move to Uk and try to pay the credit (I got a credit to pay my course) and save money. but after two year I am struggle just for pay the F*ck credit. And I am worry because my IR will be expire in 3 year.
I feel I'm not going in the right direction. I am trying to understand where, when and what I'm doing wrong.
Only I want to be seat in a cockpit...

What do you do in my position? Just give up?
I did a lot of mistakes... What can I do to fix them?

Thanks everyone.[/SIZE]

MartinCh
4th Apr 2014, 08:17
Hola!

What have you been doing? UK based companies have been hiring for offshore copilots whole 2014 and more.
Have you applied to all, especially Bond?

You have CPL and Lots of Twin IR sim and flight training. Must've been expensive total course cost.

Ps: ingles - loan (credito), make a mistake.

DO NOT let your IR lapse. Try to renew it only in SIM. Else it'd cost you much more later.

bestview
4th Apr 2014, 09:17
@Martin := not exactly right.

If you are a low timer and didn't go to Bristow -> Bristow is no option at the moment.
Other companies don't have low time (<1000h) pilot jobs at the moment, they did have it a few months ago, but they managed to fill all the co-pilot positions with experienced pilots.

Sadly, Sim time doesn't add to total flight time so 144h is low, but then again even if it was 344, we are still called low time pilots.

In America sometimes low timer jobs come up but don't know if you want to marry a stripper ;).

Good luck :ok: !

Art of flight
4th Apr 2014, 09:28
I'd ask the North Sea companies, though they really are looking to train pilots themselves and even then it's hard to get a job with them.

I really don't think you've got a chance of getting much else unless you can find the money for FI and hours building.

Sad to say, but I think you should walk away and get on with your life, unless you can get lucky with the NS.

EI-tom
4th Apr 2014, 15:51
Hey Sycamore Seed,

This is where the passion for flying comes in, good things take time so chin up, don't stop the job hunt and above all stay current because you never know when you'll get lucky! There are a few of us in the same situation as you so you're not alone, it will happen..eventually!

helimo
4th Apr 2014, 16:00
Try to get your R44 rating. In my opinion the most important rating for a low time pilot. Lots of companies use it for pipeline inspection and sightseeing tours. That is a good way to get the first hours. Right place, right time and you can easily fly 250-500h within a year. Donīt wait to get a co-pilot position. There are lots of guys between 500-1500h going for the IR right know.

good luck !

MartinCh
5th Apr 2014, 04:06
Bestview,
Sure, if not many or no sub-500hr guys were hired last year, then yes, wouldn't have worked out.
Ok, Bristow and their upselling of " Bristow academy graduate" status to boost enrollments.. But bond has hired as well newbies with euro twin IR and CPL.
The number of hours on twin and also SIM, isn't as common in UK based grads. Little something to stand out applying, if nothing else.
Yes, the reality is that people with lot more total time and with more recent IR competing for the jobs. So yes, no so bright.

As mentioned, the integrated course minima are now against you, regarding total flight hours.
If all UK companies showed no interest in low hr cpl/IR last year, then I don't see it positively.
Way too few hours and not cashed to time build and do FI course, it is indeed sticky position to be in for yourself.

R44 rating is handy for scenics and low cost charter, but likely to face the too few hours dilemma. Schools more likely to hire own instructors etc and places like the one in Canarias, want 500hrs for raven scenics job.

USA have more low timer jobs but the work rights and also 200hr heli for Robinson teaching as well as ratings conversion. I'd say Nigerian passport would be handy, s76 TR next week paid for.. That's the unlikely options.

Sycamore Seed
5th Apr 2014, 15:32
Thanks for all the advices.
In the north sea I'm not lucky for the moment and I think is very unlikely the take me for this job with my flight time.
I thought in all of them before I'm thinking again on them but I still find the same problem I don't have money to do it. I'm not sure what is going to happen with my IR maybe in 3 year you are going to have less competency to get a job.

MLHeliwrench
6th Apr 2014, 20:28
Hello,

Have you considered Central/South America? There is increased mining exploration work in Peru especially. Ususally a American or Canadian company with the contract, but they like to have Spanish speaking First Officers in the mediums/heavys.

Sycamore Seed
7th Apr 2014, 20:34
South America. Yes I though and planing go there, like 2 year ago. I rang a lot of companies from Mexico,Panama,Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador,Peru,Chile,etc, but their answer was: when you are here with the nacional licence in your hand we can talk then. but with a short flight experince as you have, It will be complicate.
Then I called a few school to convalidate my licence and calculate more or less how much is going to cost me every things and it was quite expensive for me aound 10k euros at less. Complety unaffordable for me.

I searched again a bit for companies operate helis in Peru, ecuador and colombia.
I can find any vacancy.

MLHeliwrench or any one. know the names or web sites of them?
I would like to contact them and see what they say.

Thank.