PDA

View Full Version : Factoring Taxi time to CV

fingureof8
3rd Apr 2014, 12:56
Gents,

I wonder if anyone can help in telling me the document that stipulates how many mins. per flight you can add to a CV for taxi time, to account for the fact we do not log chock to chock time.

Thanks

Herod
3rd Apr 2014, 14:00
Back in the distant past (mid '70s) the CAA allowed, I think, 5% to be added on to RAF logged hours when applying for a licence. Probably worth giving Licencing a call.

oggers
3rd Apr 2014, 14:31
As far as military credits go, your military hours as logged are all the CAA will recognise these days. Ref CAP804 section on Military Credits.

If you have been logging hours in a civvy log book as well, chock to chock, I assume they are perfectly legit for the purposes of a CV but they won't count towards military credits.

fingureof8
3rd Apr 2014, 14:38
In my case, I have a licence so that isn't an issue. I just want to know if I can factor flying time verses chock to chock for a CV or job application?

Haraka
3rd Apr 2014, 14:45
I pulled my (few) military hours across on to my civil book c.1983. No chock-to-chock mark up allowed then , even following a check phone call. Polite laughter.....:O

MrBernoulli
3rd Apr 2014, 14:56
I have a photocopy of a letter sent from HQ Personnel & Training Command at RAF Innsworth to PSF at RAF Brize Norton, dated 6 Nov 1995, that covers this. It is titled Recognition Of Military Aircraft Taxying Time In Civilian Aviation and was obviously intended to help address the (then?) UK military practise of only logging flying hours from start of first T/O to end of final landing, " ... these times being inextricably linked with Service engineering procedures."

Of particular note within the letter is that "... the CAA has stated that they would recognize military taxying times if they were recorded accurately, either separately or within the totals of the military pilots log book."

"While the overall average is likely to be much higher, the MOD could only guarantee that this minimum taxying time would have taken place during each sortie. These minimum taxying times would vary within the aircraft groupings and the suggested allowances are set out below:
Fixed Wing Training Aircraft: 10 mins
Fast Jets: 10 mins
Multi-engined Transport Aircraft: 15 mins
Display Flying: 5 mins
Wheeled Helicopter - Airfield operations: 5 mins
- Field operations: none
Non-wheeled helicopters: none
Aircraft Carrier operations: none
It has now been agreed that all pilots leaving the Service could, if they so wished, have a certificate signed by his/her last Squadron Commander. This certificate could then be inserted into Section 6 of RAF Form 414 - Pilots Flying Log Book. While this recognition of taxying time is unlikely to be necessary when applying for licenses, it could be of benefit when being assessed for company seniority or when applying for command in those airlines that operate a minimum flying hour restriction."

"... so long as the 'notional' and approximate nature of these taxying times is not concealed, and there is no representation that they are actual times, there should be no legal obstacle."

I drew up a certificate that listed each RAF aircraft type I had flown, the number of sorties flown in each type, a note of the taxy allowance for each type (from the list above), these two being multiplied to produce a total taxy allowance for each type. Adding those totals resulted in a grand total from all my RAF flying. My last Sqn Boss cheerily signed it - job done! :ok:

But under all this EASA bullsh1t of today, who knows what the f4rk would be allowed? :rolleyes:

BEagle
3rd Apr 2014, 15:04
As I've told people repeatedly - KEEP 2 LOGBOOKS!!

One being your military log book, in which military flying is recorded in accordance with military practice. The other being a civil logbook, in which ALL flying is logged chock-to-chock, in accordance with civil practice.

Then there's no argument!

PS: MrB - see you in the pub ce soir?

MrBernoulli
3rd Apr 2014, 15:05
BEagle, yes, the pub is most definitely on the agenda for later this evening! :ok: