PDA

View Full Version : Cloud base and Cloud ceiling.

George Yogi
3rd Apr 2014, 08:27
Can anybody help me to understand , when exactly an aviator refer cloud base or cloud ceiling ? ( I understand the meaning between the two)
Why don't pilots talk about cloud base ? Always i hear cloud ceiling.:bored:

From METAR we get cloud ceiling and we can calculate cloud base from OAT and Dew point , but I have never seen Pilots worry about the cloud base.Minimum ceiling is mentioned in our Flying school SOP as a rule for allowing VFR ,IFR , X cntry Flights but a Cloud base would give more clear picture to the pilot right ? since it is calculated from MSL and we use QNH for Local flying. Am i missing some thing here ? All help and comments are appreciated :D

Straighten Up
9th Apr 2014, 15:34
Cloud base is the height of any cloud above the ground or water. Ceiling refers to the lowest level of cloud base which covers more than 50% of the sky.

The use of the preposition 'cloud' before ceiling may be confusing matters, it may be easier to think of aerodrome ceiling or route ceiling.

If you are referring to the vertical extent of the clouds above their bases, they are generally referred to as tops.

So you could have few (1-2 oktas) cumulus with bases of 3000ft with a high level cirrostratus at 15000 feet. In this instance the cloud base of the Cu would be 3000ft but the ceiling would be 15000ft. The tops of the Cs may be 17000 ft.

Hope this helps.