PDA

View Full Version : Old lifetime PPL(A) SEP licence question

Tomek61
2nd Apr 2014, 15:32
I have the old CAA PPL(A) SEP licence but have not flown for quite a few years.

All I want to now do is to fly microlights.

Can anyone please tell me whether I can still use this licence (subject to microlight differences training) going forwards with a GP counter-signed medical declaration as would only be needed for flying MLs in the UK?

I don't wish to now fly anything other than MLs in the UK only and no EASA aircraft.

Thanks in advance.

Mach Jump
2nd Apr 2014, 20:41
Hi Tomek

Add a Microlight rating to your old PPL by doing a Flight Test in a Microlight with an Examiner, and sending off the form to the CAA. (With the appropriate fee of course!)

MJ:ok:

Whopity
2nd Apr 2014, 21:00
If its a genuine old pre 1999 UK PPL then you can exercise the privileges on a Microlight without doing anything. Your biggest problem is maintaining that licence because you can't count Microlight hours towards SEP revalidation. Any flying would have to be done on an Annex II aircraft as it will not be valid to fly an EASA aircraft. Maybe you should just obtain a NPPL Microlight if thats all you want to do.

Mach Jump
2nd Apr 2014, 21:19
He would still have to renew his SEP with a flight test and probably send it to the CAA for renewal if it's over 3 years. Adding a microlight rating to his original Licence will be cheaper than the issue of an NPPL.

Tomek61
3rd Apr 2014, 10:10
Thanks for the great advice so far.

As I want to use the medical declaration route, I wonder whether the only realistic option is to convert to an NPPL(A) Microlight for which I would get some credit for my old PPL(A) (I think). If I try and do anything with my old PPL I think I'm right that I would need to revalidate my Class 2 medical and I don't really want to jump through those hoops again.

Following on, if I do the above, does anyone know whether the NPPL would then survive all of the EU transition arrangements such that no other licence conversions would be required (assuming MLs only within the UK)? I think this is the case as MLs are Annex II.

Thanks again.

Mach Jump
3rd Apr 2014, 15:42
...If I try and do anything with my old PPL I think I'm right that I would need to revalidate my Class 2 medical...

Only if you want to renew your SEP Class Rating. You can add a Microlight Rating with just the Declaration.

The fee for adding the Rating is about half that of having a NPPL issued and you end up with what amounts to the same thing, as your old licence remains valid for Annex II aircraft.

The NPPL will also continue into the Promised Land of EASA as the only means of initially gaining a stand alone Microlight Licence.

Tomek61
4th Apr 2014, 09:36
Thanks for the further info MJ.

I assume that this is based on the exemption contained in ORS4 No 995? If so, then I guess that if that exemption ceases to valid in the future then I could just apply for an NPPL ML at that point?

Mach Jump
4th Apr 2014, 14:05
Yes.

There is no reason to believe that the Exemption will not continue indefinitely, and I suspect that it will eventually be written into the ANO as an amendment.