PDA

View Full Version : Good shot!!

BEagle
2nd Apr 2014, 15:07
The local rag reports that a 20 year old marksman, a Lance Corporal of the Coldstream, managed to take out 6 insurgents with a single round.....fired from 930 yards.

It seems that the round hit the trigger of an IED which then detonated, taking out the would-be bomber and five of his cronies.

The same sniper, with his first shot on the tour of duty, killed a Taliban machine-gunner from 1465 yards...:ok:

Good shooting - very well done!!!

CoffmanStarter
2nd Apr 2014, 15:26
Outstanding marksmanship at those distances ...

Here is the piece in the Telegraph ...

British Army Marksman Afghanistan (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/10735666/British-sniper-in-Afghanistan-kills-six-Taliban-with-one-bullet.html)

Capetonian
2nd Apr 2014, 15:56
Give that man a medal.

(No doubt the PC bunch will be bleating soon.)

Tankertrashnav
2nd Apr 2014, 16:06
As someone who couldn't hit the proverbial barn door I have always been somewhat in awe of snipers.

I have read a fair bit about the art in WW1 and am impressed by the lengths snipers took to set up their positions and conceal themselves from the enemy, whilst at the same time giving themselves a good field of fire.

Robert Graves recounted how one one occasion he put a small trench periscope up to try and locate a troublesome sniper and had it knocked out of his hand as the sniper put a round straight through the glass, which was about 2" in diameter. He sent it home to his mother to keep as a souvenir for him, but was cross when she returned it to the makers and had it repaired, free of charge, assuming she was doing him a favour!

kaitakbowler
2nd Apr 2014, 16:27
Cpl o Horse Craig Harrison got 2 at 2400mtrs in 2009.:ok:

Fareastdriver
2nd Apr 2014, 18:10
Give me a loaded 9mm and no wall, ceiling or floor is safe.

Lima Juliet
2nd Apr 2014, 18:19
It seems that the round hit the trigger of an IED which then detonated, taking out the would-be bomber and five of his cronies.

i take it he was aiming at the IED and it's not a miss that luckily hit it! :ok:

LJ

The Helpful Stacker
2nd Apr 2014, 19:11
Give me a loaded 9mm and no wall, ceiling or floor is safe.

Reminds me of the RAF Chinook crew who had to overnight at Gornji Vakuf. One of them left an additional ventilation hole in the armoury container and us Wing Warriors became the butt of 'RAF Weapon Handling' wind-ups for the rest of our tour.:*

VinRouge
2nd Apr 2014, 19:12
So, one enemy Kia and potentially 5 ambulance chasing "collateral" casualties.

Good job the Tories are cutting legal support! :ok:

Hope they are loving the their mangy goats in paradise!

Danny42C
2nd Apr 2014, 19:53
Well, they did have 72 apiece to work through !

barnstormer1968
2nd Apr 2014, 20:09
Top shooting, but also possibly very good for the people of Afghanistan too.
The chap in the vest wasn't long for this world anyway, but may have taken some innocent kids with him if he had been allowed to.

Why does it never occur to suicide bombers that if the job is such an honour and will lead to a glorious afterlife that their bosses never want the job :)

bill2b
2nd Apr 2014, 20:49
Sniper 1, by Dan Mills. Excellent read.

kaitakbowler
2nd Apr 2014, 21:11
To be picky, (on PPRuNe surely not), it was likely to be an 8.6mm round, or as it was a British weapon .338".

Those of you that were around in the 70's firing their 9mm personnel weapons may well remember the Indian procured ammunition, as well as causing numerous stoppages it was possible to plainly see the flight of the round as it arced down 25mtr range.

PM

Sorry for the (slight) drift.

Mad Monk
2nd Apr 2014, 21:34
I would agree with kaitakbowler, of recent years the .50 BMG (12.7×99mm NATO) and .338 Lapua Magnum tend to be favoured sniper rounds.
In this instance the No 1. L115A3 AWM would seem to be most likely.

Wile E. Coyote
2nd Apr 2014, 21:58
Pistol drift (sorry)

A 9mm Browning with decent ammo is a good pistol.... most of them are more accurate than the shooter (including me). Given the right ammo they are great but feed them crap and they can jam.

My favourite 9mm are the CZ75 and its clones, esp. the Jericho 941 and Tanfoglio TZ-75.

In two days training I fired over 1300 rounds from a CZ75 with just one jam, and that was because I limpwristed whilst shooting with my weak hand. My fault.

In my opinion, a personal weapon should be carried in condition 1 (loaded/chambered/cocked/safety on). I do not like Glock weapons; holstering a loaded Glock has resulted in more than one person shooting themselves in the leg/foot due to lack of concentration. Finger in the trigger guard... holster the weapon (Glock)... bang. Do that with a CZ-75 / Browning in condition 1 and all that happens is the trigger finger gets jammed against the trigger. Slight ouch but no bang.

US Army/NATO Beretta 92? No thanks. First round has to be double-action so goes low, second will be single action so goes high, third will be where I want it to. A friend who carried one said that he'd been trained to just fire off the first shot whilst drawing the weapon.... then number two would be on target.

Coyote.....

500N
2nd Apr 2014, 22:05
"A friend who carried one said that he'd been trained to just fire off the first shot whilst drawing the weapon.... then number two would be on target."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who taught him that ???????

NutLoose
2nd Apr 2014, 22:15
As someone who couldn't hit the proverbial barn door I have always been somewhat in awe of snipers.

You should know it's simply a case at aiming at everything but the said door, you are then guaranteed of a hit.

Anyone remember the ricochet marks in the armoury room at Aldergrove.

dead_pan
2nd Apr 2014, 22:23
A friend who carried one said that he'd been trained to just fire off the first shot whilst drawing the weapon

Ha! Gawd help anyone stood next to him.

Sounds a bit too wild west for me.

500N
2nd Apr 2014, 22:27
And me !

Where does he fire the first shot ?

Into the air ? (Dangerous)

Into the ground ? (Also very dangerous and as above, I wouldn't like to be next to him !)

Wile E. Coyote
2nd Apr 2014, 22:28
"A friend who carried one said that he'd been trained to just fire off the first shot whilst drawing the weapon.... then number two would be on target."

Who taught him that ???????

Someone who said that the first shot aimed at the target should hit it.

First round from a 92F has a heavy trigger pull as it's double action with a heavy trigger. Successive shots are single action with a decent trigger.

It's much quicker to fire off the first shot into the ground (or unaimed towards the target) than it is to manually cock the hammer... after the first shot, the 92F is a pretty damned good single-action 9mm. Shame that the first shot has to be double action.

dead_pan
2nd Apr 2014, 22:32
I have read a fair bit about the art in WW1 and am impressed by the lengths snipers took to set up their positions and conceal themselves from the enemy, whilst at the same time giving themselves a good field of fire

I did read once about the exploits of Major Hesketh-Prichard (sp), who set-up the sniper school for the Brits. Interesting chap - used to be a big game hunter before he joined up. His book "Sniping in France" is out of copyright now and is available for free on the 'net, if anyone wants to read more.

dead_pan
2nd Apr 2014, 22:37
First round from a 92F has a heavy trigger pull as it's double action with a heavy trigger

Presumably the 92F is not the preferred personal weapon of choice for those SF chappies, then? Too much faff for their liking, I'd suggest.

500N
2nd Apr 2014, 22:40
Sig Sauer anyone ?

Wile E. Coyote
2nd Apr 2014, 22:50
Sig Sauer anyone ?

P210 single-action.... a definite yes.

Presumably the 92F is not the preferred personal weapon of choice for those SF chappies, then? Too much faff for their liking, I'd suggest. I think the US SF use Sig P226 with is DA first shot SA succeeding, same as 92F? Guess they get lots of training/practice.....

500N
2nd Apr 2014, 22:54
Which is why I think some SF units use them !

A lot to be said for "first shot" on target !

H&K MP5 being a good example on the SMG side :ok:

tartare
2nd Apr 2014, 23:09
Agreed - outstanding shot, and a few less terries to deal with.
R/e tools of trade - MP5 and Sig Sauer - defintely!
And Accuracy International for distance work - reaching out and touching people since 1978 :E

Wile E. Coyote
2nd Apr 2014, 23:19
H&K MP5 being a good example on the SMG side

I got to play with MP5 in full auto :ok: very rapidly realised that I could only handle a quick squeeze of the trigger (3-4 rounds) if the shots were to be on target, a Figure 11 at 25 yards.

Instructor put a full mag. in one burst in a tight group at 25 yards on a Figure 11... :ok:

500N
2nd Apr 2014, 23:25
MP5 is far easier to keep on target than say a Uzi, Sten, F1 etc but that is my HO.

Practice makes perfect ! :O

That's why (I think the Navy version was the first) came out with the third safety catch placement of 2 - 3 round burst so the op didn't have to think about it.

tartare
3rd Apr 2014, 01:10
I understand that the technique with the MP5 is to stitch straight up or down the central body mass following the spinal column.
You are down - and you are staying down, so to speak.
At least that's what one of the moustachio'ed ones said in a documentary I saw about a certain embassy incident in the old country.
But then that might be a bit too much detail for sensitive souls here...

Roadster280
3rd Apr 2014, 02:33
What's all this talk about 9mm short range weapons - pistols & SMGs? The bloke used a sniper rifle, being a sniper and all...

Good on him!

tartare
3rd Apr 2014, 03:59
True - we drifted off thread a bit.
Googling the Accuracy International and anti-materiel rifles in general I came across some kind of South African beast (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denel_NTW-20)that fires a 20mm shell!
Mother of God - that's .70 cal.
In a single shot.
I am reading this correctly?

500N
3rd Apr 2014, 04:07
It's Single shot in the LONGER Version of the 20 cal x110mm and 3-round detachable box Magazine in the two shorter cal, one 14.5mm and the other 20mm but only 82mm long

It is a bolt action.

With big calibres and long heavy bullets, this sometimes makes them single shot as you just can't build a magazine that will take them (and feed them reliably, therefore it is sometimes easier to block off the mag well and make it single feed.