PDA

View Full Version : Crosswind fun & games

Hotel Tango
1st Apr 2014, 09:07
I'm sure some of you will have seen these already. But in contrast to some of the, er how shall i put it, benign videos posted here I thought this deserves a watch. I certainly enjoyed it - and the skills of the crews.

Crosswind difficulties - winter 2013/14 - YouTube

Lightning Mate
1st Apr 2014, 12:32
Nothing unusual there I'm afraid, and any pilot who can't handle it shouldn't be in the office.

Hotel Tango
1st Apr 2014, 17:17
:rolleyes: First prize goes to you Lightning Mate. I was waiting for a response like yours. It did take 3 hours though, which is pretty good going by normal PPRuNe standards :) Now where did I say that it was unusual? Where did I suggest that perhaps some pilots couldnīt handle it? (then again, a certain carrierīs crew couldnīt manage it on a calm day at SFO)! For sure if they couldnīt handle it they shouldnīt be flying. It still requires skill, whichever way you look at it. Nothing wrong with appreciating that. Itīs just an entertaining video to watch. Lighten up Lightning Mate!

Wycombe
1st Apr 2014, 21:40
Proof if it were needed that aligning a runway 33/15 in the UK was always going to be a test of pilot skills!

ruddman
1st Apr 2014, 23:42
And to think people have the nerve to suggest the guys up front are glorified bus drivers. :mad:

Well, try THAT in ya scania.

Awesome stuff! :D

Andy_P
2nd Apr 2014, 00:26
As someone who is currently trying to learn how to master the crosswind landing, these guys/gals have my ultimate respect!

llondel
2nd Apr 2014, 03:03
What effect does a crosswind landing have on the tyre life? I would think it scrubs a fair bit of rubber off, much more so than that lost during spin-up on a dead straight landing.

tjamesbo
7th Apr 2014, 19:00
Very Entertaining footage ,superbly shot , best shots of "hairy landings " I have seen, may not be hairy to the crew up front but bet most of the Pax thought it was quite hairy

Semu
12th Apr 2014, 03:30
Normally, not much, since the goal is land with zero drift in most conditions. The B747 is certified to land in a crab (sideways, if you like) on contaminated (slippery) runways. I've yet to try it, but I am a bit curious as to the effect on the tyres if you managed to find the one part of the runway with good traction for the touchdown.