PDA

View Full Version : US pool pilot positions?

Fun Police
1st Apr 2014, 00:24
Greetings;
as a Canadian citizen living in the US (with lawful US permanent residency and both TC and FAA commercial licences) but working in Canada, i am running into tax issues. everything is above board but the withholding that Revenue Canada takes per cheque is hurting me financially. this on top of health insurance and other deductions is making life quite difficult.

i have nearly 8000 hrs of 350, 407, 500 (D, FF) doing lots of production longlining (seismic and drill moves), Class D certified, heli-skiing etc etc almost everywhere in North America. unfortunately, i do not satisfy the stupid Part 135 rule requiring 25 hrs of night VFR in order to fly passengers during day VFR (or does this still apply?). part 133 it is for me AFAIK...

are there pool pilot positions available (like the structure Canadian operators use that i am used to) in the US? i have not had to look for a job for quite a while and i am not sure where to start. i like the company i work for now and it would take some soul searching for me to leave.

any pointers to a list of operators or advice would be most appreciated.

thanks very much in advance!

FP

Boudreaux Bob
1st Apr 2014, 01:10
Call the nearest FAA FSDO and ask them about the 25 Hours of Night Question for Helicopter Day Only Operations. I am thinking the answer will probably be that you do have to have that experience.

Note the particular Regulation specifies "Aircraft" and does not specify "Helicopter" thus that Night Flight requirement can be in Airplanes and/or helicopters or any mix thereof.

Silly as it sounds, get checked Solo on a Cessna 150 or something similar and in a week of dedicated effort you can be done with it.

beebo
1st Apr 2014, 13:27
I came over recently from Australia (have a green card) and faced the same night problem. I confirmed back in Jan with Scottsdale FSDO that night hours were required for day-VFR operations…
I've combined my night training with an instrument rating as so many operators here seem to want that on the resume.
Good luck!