PDA

View Full Version : An Invitation to do the Right Thing

Pixy
30th Mar 2014, 10:33
A growing trend seems to be to allocate leave in small block of 4 to 7 days in a month. This allows the company to then fill the remaining days of the month with a full roster up to the productivity level without too much effort.

Essentially what would have been days off has been replaced by leave at no cost to the company.

I doubt the benefits of this not-so-subtle tactic have been missed by the company who must delight when they can apply it.

However it’s dishonest.

I would argue that this amounts to little more than theft of either leave or money.

In a 31 day month the productivity threshold is 92 hours, in a 30 day month 89 and so on. The formula being Productivity Threshold = 3 times Number of Days in the Month minus 1.

Surely then it follows that the logic of the formula is dependent on the number of days available to be worked in a month. If leave is awarded in that month then those days are not available to the company. They contractually belong to the employee. To be fair, and protect the employee from being exploited and overly fatigued, the Productivity threshold should be adjusted accordingly.

For example in a 31 day month where leave is allocated at 5 days, then the days available to be worked are 26. Productivity threshold should then be (26 x 3) – 1 = 77. Hours worked above 77 should attract Productivity Pay and if they do not then this money is effectively being denied.

Is this not entirely consistent and fair? In former days a similar protection and honest policy was in place. It could still be easily applied by allocating 3 hours per leave day towards productivity.

I invite the company to look at this approach or something similar. It would give us all renewed faith in the corporate moral compass and espoused high ethics when dealing with employees.

Simply put: It’s the right thing to do.

BYMONEK
30th Mar 2014, 10:41
Absolutely agree. Write to the Company, PPRune can't change it.

aussiefarmer
30th Mar 2014, 12:02
I totally agree.

However, I am afraid that your invitation will most likely be answered with another in the following terms:

"if you don't like it..."

Now, a more constructive answer from my side. Unfortunately the industry is heading towards more productivity at lower costs. This is a fact and I believe it is not going to change in the future.

Nevertheless, what Emirates should be doing, is to take steps in the right direction to motivate its employees with affordable initiatives that succeed the goal of making people happier and more loyal to the company. Until now, I haven't seen any of that "corporate moral" and "high ethics" that you are talking about. And, I have to admit, I already lost the hope to witness any steps in that direction one day, when the ones who lead the troops are unaware of this axiom of corporate and workforce management.

ByeByeDubai
30th Mar 2014, 12:38
Spot On!
100% agree something like this is needed. What I find sad is that we don’t expect ethical behaviour because we have been conditioned for so long into being ripped off at every turn.
What you suggest is entirely reasonable. Maybe even legally arguable.
Why do we sit idly by taking whatever is dished out with hardly a murmur? A few brave and principled people do write in or bring up their objections when they can. The rest sit mute hoping others will do the work for them.
Perhaps they deserve what they get.

FcU
30th Mar 2014, 12:49
You're inviting the company to give back what they took away years ago. Leave used to be credited at 2.5 hrs per day and productivity was paid when your credit hours exceeded the threshold. This was removed and is never coming back. At the risk if sounding uncaring, you joined a company that doesn't give a rats about your invitation. If you don't like it blah blah blah and tell all your friends interested in joining what they are getting into.

120feet
30th Mar 2014, 14:45
It is very easy to make changes that do not affect you. It sounds like a great idea by simply saying, "We can save $$$ if the pilots work 30% more and we don't pay them for it." However, to ask office staff to work 30% more (Come in on Saturdays.) would not work well because you would not only have to face them everyday but you yourself would have to work 30% more. (Go the extra mile.) You could perhaps motivate them to do it short term to help the company but long term would result in poor moral. This poor moral of the pilots is far, far removed from the office walls, and since it does not show up adversely in the performance of the company, it is deemed as a good change. If you look at the changes that have occurred in the past 7-8 years with the exception of the Bonus most have been targeted at the flight crew. Simply because it is an easy way to save $.

donpizmeov
30th Mar 2014, 15:22
Is that you Iver?

CaptainChipotle
30th Mar 2014, 18:18
This is a great post and I agree with it. However, it would imply that I have faith in the company to do the right thing. That answer, without a doubt, is absolutely NOT.

disconnected
30th Mar 2014, 20:15
Pixy: A well reasoned and articulate post.

We should ask where our HR department is. Aren’t they meant to protect the interests of employee and employer? They are quick to discipline and deduct but silent on issues like this.

Maybe they excuse themselves as being powerless but I doubt they even try.

The fact that a lot of them are from first world countries and profess to be professionals in the field makes them accessories to this exploitation. They cannot claim they didn’t know any better. In most places aiding and abetting carries similar guilt and penalties. I wonder how they sleep at night.

BeCareful
30th Mar 2014, 23:18
I wonder how they sleep at night.

Like a rock.

See, you're a pawn. You have no voice, and you have no rights. If you don't like it... don't let the door hit on your a$$ on the way out.

There is a steady stream of drools coming from the likes of Ryanair, easyJet, and the other debt-laden Euro-kids who need to pay off their type ratings and line training... so you're easily replaceable.

You are here to be exploited, plain and simple... If they could get away with treating (and paying) us like the Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi construction workers, they would... Instead, their goal is simple - they want the absolute maximum utilization for absolute minimum cost they can get away with. That's why it's all done in small increments. The trick is to get us as close to the breaking point without going over and having the masses pack up and leave.

So to answer your question... they're only doing their jobs, and they sleep like a rock... because you're still here.

fliion
31st Mar 2014, 01:12
Good post above...the problem (I think) is we now have operators who will do everything they can to the opposite of what a company would want as a cathartic exercise ...but within the books limits...ie starting the APU on touchdown, S/E TAXI FOR 10 seconds etc....All costing the co. $

Cat & mouse it should not be.

Mice are crafty too

f.

cerbus
31st Mar 2014, 08:19
When has the company ever "done the right thing."?

Trader
31st Mar 2014, 08:28
Had a long email chain with Ed , when he was here, about this (specifically about he fact that office staff did not come in and work weekends after leave to cover the days they missed)--his response, literally, was we get to fly to nice places and stay in nice hotels!

EVERY wash up I bring this up--HR simply shrugs.

Alconguin Crusader
31st Mar 2014, 10:50
In a previous post I said I had 7 days vacation and 3 days of my PPC and flew 89 hours for the month. This lead some Limp D1ck Emirates pilots to say that we have vacation pay here and they see nothing wrong with this concept. Oh and by the way I should leave the company.
This is the attitude that will keep the company doing to us what they are doing. Most Emirates pilots don't see anything wrong with this so nothing will change here, ever, and we deserve everything we get.

ManaAdaSystem
31st Mar 2014, 10:55
Q: How much IQ does it take to put EK in the headline?
A: More than most EK pilot posters have.

This is still not the EK forum.