PDA

View Full Version : Anyone lost a canopy?

vee-tail-1
29th Mar 2014, 22:13
Bit of a mystery this ...
Walking in the Preceli hills near Rosebush in Pembrokeshire last Thursday. I came across a Socata Rallye cockpit canopy, probably from a later model Rallye. It was lying in the grass and the only damage was a fist sized hole in the left side rear lower corner of the Perspex. The frame and locking handle seemed undamaged, and fairly clean. No identifying markings that were visible. Hard to estimate how long it had been lying there, but probably months rather than years, since things get covered in green moss if left for any time around here.
No one in the village knows anything about it ... one old guy in the pub thought it might have come from the Liberator which crashed in 1945!
No sign of the rest of the Rallye aeroplane so it's a bit of a mystery.
Perhaps someone lost a canopy on route to or from Haverfordwest?
Or was there a forced landing in the Precelis recently? ... Lots of very straight and flat logging roads to land on.
If no one claims the canopy it may well end up covering someone's rhubarb patch! :)

Blind Squirrel
30th Mar 2014, 03:33
I lost the pilot's side window of a rented C152, south of Ipswich, one evening about twenty years ago. It had been kept on with speed tape alone, which seemed to do the business until I was startled by (i) a loud ripping noise; and (ii) my laminated VFR half-mil of Southern England and Wales whistling rapidly out of the orifice thus created.

If you come across either of them, let me know.

Windy Militant
30th Mar 2014, 22:07
It was lying in the grass and the only damage was a fist sized hole in the left side rear lower corner of the Perspex.

Hopefully not made over Castle Martin or Manorbier! :eek:

vee-tail-1
31st Mar 2014, 10:26
Now there's a thought ... shot down over Pembrokeshire!

Actually it's getting a bit crowded over here at times with UAVs at Aberporth.
My home town is under the UAV designated test area ... sometimes we hear a sound like a chain saw coming from something invisible very high in the sky.
Course it could be Dai Jones on his paraglider :eek:

Windy Militant
31st Mar 2014, 17:45
If it was dangling in a a tree it'd be Barney the Plumber from Cenarth! ;)