PDA

View Full Version : Faa cl604/605 faa tr in flight

baobab72
29th Mar 2014, 19:11
Hi
I hold both a jaa/easa and an faa atpl's with a CL604/605 type rating on the european license and more than 1500hrs on type as pic.
I asked the trto in montreal for a quote to transfer the tr from the jaa to the faa license and i received a pretty steep quote, in the order of 12000-14000 usd and that was comprised of 2 sim sessions including the checkride and an abbreviated ground school! - i even investigated the option in dallas but i was redirected to montreal - so i was wondering if it would be possible to do it in the actual airplane as i did so for my previous tr on the learjet. The instructor was an faa examiner.

Many thanks for any hint.

Baobab72

HEMS driver
30th Mar 2014, 00:30
Yes, it is possible. It can be done with an FAA DPE (designated pilot examiner) who is authorized in the 604/605.

There are others, but I noticed this DPE in Georgia.

BLANTON, TOBY R.
BROOKS GA 30205
Phone: (404) 386-2643

FAA Office: SO35 (http://av-info.faa.gov/FindFSDO.asp?RO=SO&DO=35)

Aircraft: BE-76-76, CE-172-172, CL-604-604

Here is the master directory: Federal Aviation Administration - Designee Locator (http://av-info.faa.gov/designeesearch.asp)

The DPE above is listed under SO-35, the Tampa Flight Standards Office.

Good luck.

B200Drvr
31st Mar 2014, 04:46
Next time you do EASA/JAA recurrent include the FAA portion. Any reasonable TRTO would do that at a minimal cost, as You already hold the certificate and TR.

baobab72
31st Mar 2014, 06:07
Hello everyone
Many thanks for your replies, keep them coming!
As far as the so called FAA portion, there used to be such a thing in the past up until about 4 years ago, now it is all gone, no more combined checkrides or training! An extra session on top of the recurrent plus the fas checkride are needed and that if associated with a full jaa recurrent otherwise the training sessions become two!
There are only three sims for the 605 in the world, montreal, dubai and dallas, so they can basically do as they are pleased!
To me the only valuable option would be doing the ride in the real plane! I am sure i could get away with it for less than 8000 usd!
Any hint is highly appreciated!

Baobab72

StressFree
31st Mar 2014, 06:51
Baobab,

Theres a 605 sim at FSI Wilmington, Delaware, USA.

BizJetJock
31st Mar 2014, 07:57
I am sure i could get away with it for less than 8000 usd!
I wouldn't bet on that; the checkride is going to take around 2 hours flight time plus the examiners fee and expenses. You're unlikely to save anything and it could actually cost more!

as fragged
1st Apr 2014, 09:02
Hi baobab,
The problem is that they, the sim provider, can only check in accordance with their FAA appproved courses. Sounds like you have been quoted a previous experience course.
I doubt you can complete a check in the air, however you maybe able to dry lease the sim and get the examiner and yourself into the sim. 'Independent' DPEs generally are not bound by the Part 140something courses that the sim provider is.
The only other option I see is either an FAA recurrent; or will an SIC rating do instead of a PIC one?.....
Hope this helps,
As fragged