PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever operated into Bells Flat airstrip at Raoul Island?

Dodgy Boy
28th Mar 2014, 21:28
Several years (30 or so...) I recall hearing a flight on AKL information operating out to Raoul Island. From memory the registration matched that of a single engine Comanche which would probably be one of the few aircraft that could make it there and back without a refuel. Being the curious type I happened to look at Raoul the other night on Google earth and noticed that the airstrip is still there. Has anyone in Pprune world operated into it? If so I'd be interested to hear about your experience.

Big_saint
28th Mar 2014, 22:50
Im assuming that Commanche you heard out there was PMC? Other than that I've only ever heard of a heli making the trip with external tanks, for the search of that lost DOC member.

Big_saint
28th Mar 2014, 22:52
Apologies PMC only made it to NZ register in 2008 so maybe not 30 years ago

c100driver
28th Mar 2014, 23:11
ZK-DAA is single Comanche that was involved.

I don't recall any aircraft since other that rotary in support of DOC evacuation.

smylie
29th Mar 2014, 00:27
Pa750 Xl. Reg ZK TTL did a medevac around October 2007
Also recall a cessna 206? Diverted due fuel issues on ferry from USA to NZ but can't remember when. I believe the strip is usable in emergencies.

Corkey McFuz
29th Mar 2014, 01:13
A cessna 206 operated out of there for a bit 20 or so years ago on aerial survey operations of the area. ZK-EOP

Lindstrim
29th Mar 2014, 07:11
I'm pretty sure PMC has gone out there but didn't land, it carried enough fuel to return to NZ.