PDA

View Full Version : Banner towing over Old Trafford

Good Business Sense
28th Mar 2014, 17:47
So how does this work with the rules in terms of a single engine over a congested area (I presume single engine) and the minimum height/distance required over/from a large gathering of people ?

Seen it along a beach/shoreline etc ... but over a big city?:=

Cough
28th Mar 2014, 18:14
Drop the banner (if allowed) and ditch aircraft in the canal?

Can't say its the best idea though:ugh:

Good Business Sense
28th Mar 2014, 22:01
ditch aircraft in the canal?

Doesn't get by the rules

Empty Cruise
28th Mar 2014, 23:43
Just explain to the AAIB afterwards that 'I take full responsibility. It is my job to do the flight as I best can, and today, we simply weren't clinical enough. It's not for want of trying, but sometimes, these things go against you'.

Trust me, all will be fine ;-)

PURPLE PITOT
29th Mar 2014, 08:34
Carb ice. Got a lot of people off in the past!

10002level
29th Mar 2014, 08:57
A while since my light aircraft flying days, but I recall that you cannot fly within 1,000 feet of an open air gathering of over 1,000 people except with written permission from the CAA. Didn't one of the cricketers (David Gower?) fall foul of this many years ago?

Good Business Sense
29th Mar 2014, 09:20
Rule 5

(d) The land clear rule
An aircraft flying over a congested area of a city, town or settlement shall not fly
below such height as would permit the aircraft to land clear of the congested area
in the event of a power unit failure.
(e) Flying over open air assemblies
Except with the written permission of the CAA, an aircraft shall not fly over an
organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons below the higher of the
following heights:
(i) 1,000 feet; or
(ii) such height as would permit the aircraft to land clear of the assembly in the
event of a power unit failure.

Better have your specs on !

solent
29th Mar 2014, 12:06
Can't wait to see the C680 Banner towing!!

Booglebox
29th Mar 2014, 17:56
Here's the banner in question:

http://i.imgur.com/L45rwxX.png?1?5419

deefer dog
30th Mar 2014, 13:56
The banner letters being towed in that photo are made by Gasser in USA. They come in two sizes, either 5 ft or 7 feet high. I don't know the vicinity but would guess that these were 7 ft letters which can easily be read when flown at and above 1000ft. If the glide clear was possible I am sure the flight was legally flown - assuming of course the aircraft was approved for banner towing, and the number of letters being towed were in accordance with the operators towing manual.

It is a non event from an aviation perspective - only of interst to footy fans.

winkwink
30th Mar 2014, 18:00
Doesn't really matter. It didn't crash and the fe#kers won.