PDA

View Full Version : EMS Helicopter Causes Airliner To Land At Wrong Airport

Boudreaux Bob
28th Mar 2014, 13:12
A Southwest Airlines 737 landed at the wrong airport in Branson, Missouri while "looking out for an EMS Helicopter". No injuries or damage done to the aircraft, passengers, or EMS Helicopter.

That cannot be said for the two Airline Pilots who are on Administratively Leave.

Lost in Branson: A Southwest Flight Causes Big Confusion at the Wrong Airport - Businessweek (http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-24/lost-in-branson-a-southwest-flight-causes-big-confusion-at-wrong-airport)

OvertHawk
28th Mar 2014, 13:26
Hmmmmm... I don't think the EMS helicopter caused anybody to land at the wrong airport!

I think failure, by the crew, to correctly identify the airport caused them to land in the wrong place.

It should surely be within the capability of a professional crew to deal with traffic information about a helicopter (whether conflicting or not) whilst at the same time landing at the correct airport.

Why make a fuss about this phraseology? Because it turns an airline screwup into a helicopter problem - people will read that headline and think it's a helicopter issue. Which it clearly is not.

OH

Art of flight
28th Mar 2014, 13:47
I take it they did the whole approach and landing without reference to anything in the cockpit that might have been in line with company SOPs for approach and landing. How unlucky to find an identikit airport near the intended destination with the same runway direction and length, terminal buildings in the same place and navaid frequencies exactly the same......or not!

S76Heavy
28th Mar 2014, 14:15
This should not even be in Rotorheads. 2 plank drivers not paying attention to where they were going, nothing more. Happened before, will probably happen again. Good CRM training case, fortunately only hurt pride.

Old and Horrified
28th Mar 2014, 15:48
Try here:

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/531795-swa-lands-wrong-airport.html

Gomer Pylot
28th Mar 2014, 20:48
When you do something like that, you need an excuse, and any excuse is better than none.

cattletruck
28th Mar 2014, 23:44
With all that automation who needs flying skills. Asleep at the wheel no doubt.