PDA

View Full Version : China to Hobart Air Service

Stationair8
25th Mar 2014, 06:07
While googling MH370, I came across several items about the mayor of Hobart heading off to China to promote a direct airlink between the Apple Isle and China.

Good to see a proctive council out looking for future business.

500N
25th Mar 2014, 06:16
Interesting couple of articles and the $$$ spend figures are interesting.

Someone has their head screwed on straight :ok:

Capitalize on Cairns falling out of favour ?

Andy_RR
25th Mar 2014, 07:01
A friend of mine has been saying for a long time that Tasmania should become an independent, low-tax, small government jurisdiction modeled after the likes of Hong Kong. I think the idea has merit, given the geographic impediments the island has. All that's needed is a Kai Tak approach to give everyone a life-affirming thrill on the way in... :p

Ultralights
25th Mar 2014, 07:06
Tax and govern the state out of the resources industry, then try to save it by encouraging China to mine and harvest it instead? :confused:

500N
25th Mar 2014, 07:29
low-tax,Low tax because no one has a job, money is scarce and not enough people !

Getting tourists in, especially cashed up OS tourists is at least one way of getting money flowing in.

Tasmania has heaps going for it, one of which is mentioned in the articles, Salamanca market.

Rotor Work
25th Mar 2014, 08:51
From the Mercury Newspaper

Editorial: Airport plan high priority | The Mercury (http://www.themercury.com.au/news/opinion/editorial-airport-plan-high-priority/story-fnj4f64i-1226861601714)

IT is absolutely imperative that the runway at Hobart Airport is extended to cater for international flights. The runway extension — alongside minimising ludicrously expensive freight costs across Bass Strait — is the single-most important catalyst for Tasmania’s economic revival.
Access to international markets is critical for a range of sectors, including higher education, Antarctic and Southern Ocean studies, tourism, agriculture, aquaculture and many other export operations.
The advent of art collector David Walsh’s MONA at Moorilla has excited huge international interest in Hobart and Tasmania, and has become the foundation stone upon which the tourism sector has thrived in the past 18 months. Arrivals to Tasmania have increased about 10 per cent, cracking the magic one million mark for 2013.
A vast majority of this increase in tourists came through Hobart Airport. The biggest market growth has been tourists from China. The phenomenal Chinese economic revolution is creating a burgeoning middle class keen to enjoy the spoils and luxuries of the modern Western world, including international holidays, premium goods and services.

500N
25th Mar 2014, 09:15
Good article.

If Tasmania can fire up, that would be good for the other Southern states as well.

Rotor Work
27th Mar 2014, 00:45
Plane mystery solved: Hawaiians jet in to sample Tassie | The Mercury (http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/plane-mystery-solved-hawaiians-jet-in-to-sample-tassie/story-fnj4f7k1-1226865813416)

THE mystery plane that ­landed at Hobart International Airport tarmac on Tuesday afternoon is a charter flight with more than 200 people on board from Honolulu.
The private jet is from the world’s largest charter airline company, UK-based Thomson Airways.
After clearing Customs, passengers and crew were ferried to a number of destinations around Hobart.
Thomson Airways operations manager Siobhan Allem said the 757 aircraft was on a TCS Expeditions tour.
Ms Allem said the passengers were on an Oceania tour to French Polynesia, New Zealand, Tasmania, mainland Australia, Borneo and ­Vanuatu.
“The aircraft flew from Auckland, New Zealand, into Hobart where guests will spend a couple of days exploring the local surroundings,’’ she said.
They visited MONA, Port Arthur, Mt Field National Park and Bruny Island.
And some indulged on a private culinary walking tour.
The plane leaves for Adelaide today.

TBM-Legend
27th Mar 2014, 01:27
Take in Nant Distillery. Rated by Jim Murray in the top 50 whiskies in the world...[more than 2000 on the books]

Not bad for a Tassie creation...:ok:

500N
27th Mar 2014, 01:31
I checked with one of my customers down there.

It seems the Mayor of Hobart is a very popular guy, well liked,
head screwed on the right way and thinks outside the square.

A real shining light compared to the Greens / Labor.