PDA

View Full Version : Rolls royce data monitoring tv program

TURIN
24th Mar 2014, 19:43
For those of you with access to the BBC iplayer.

Bang Goes the Theory. BBC1 19:30-19:57 Monday 24th March.

Big Data. Series presenting science behind the headlines. "How big data monitors Rolls Royce jet engines."

It may be an education. It may be a dumbed down load of nonsense. If the latter this thread will be deleted by yours truly in embarasment. :O

TURIN
24th Mar 2014, 20:08
Well, not brilliant but some good stuff on data mining through social networking. Perhaps this could be moved to JB or Computer forum.

lomapaseo
24th Mar 2014, 20:47
It belongs in the technical corner unless they screw it up

ground_star
24th Mar 2014, 21:22
Having been a consultant on the IT side of RR, I'm amazed they have anything working. The people running the IT stuff are a bunch of utter halfwits, outsourced ones at that haha

DaveReidUK
24th Mar 2014, 22:33
The programme did appear to imply that engine data was streamed continuously to R-R, which we know is not the case.

NWSRG
24th Mar 2014, 22:52
Data can be streamed real-time, but the airline has to choose the option as far as I know. I've seen a presentation given by one of the RR guys professionally, and the system is pretty impressive. It is actually tied into as-built records of every engine, and can dispatch components based on the failures identified via the remote telemetry. They use an IBM EAM software package to support the whole thing.