PDA

View Full Version : US SOF Change of Role

ORAC
24th Mar 2014, 08:57
Copy of a post from The Corner. No comment except to say that where he says "stuff" I believe he actual means "sh*t". Graphics link in the text leads to a version which can be expanded and comments on the UK as a "Green Economy", mind you it also bluntly describes Russia as a "Kleptocracy with nuclear weapons"......

The Worrisome Future of Special Operation Forces (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/373993/worrisome-future-special-operation-forces-daniel-pipes)

I just had the opportunity to spend an afternoon with a Council on Foreign Relations group at the United States Special Operations Command in Tampa, Florida. The famed Admiral William H. McRaven started the briefing, followed by his staff.

I expected to learn about Navy SEALs, Army Rangers, and their air force and marine counterparts. I thought I would hear about the exploits of this 67,000-strong command operating in 84 countries, maybe even about the taking down of Osama bin Laden. But that was not to be. Instead, he and the other officers talked at length about their new mission, starting with the command’s motto, “You can’t surge trust.”

It took some time for it to sink in because of their turgid language, but here’s a key paragraph from the Operating Concept for special operations forces (SOF) that was handed out to the CFR group: The Special Operations Forces Operating Concept captures the essence of the SOF heritage as it could be – as it should be in the year 2020 and beyond. The concept moves beyond the first decade of the 21st Century, when SOF primarily supported large-scale contingency operations by conducting counterterrorism operations to find, capture, or kill our adversaries. Although of great value to the Nation, these operations were never intended to be decisive. Operating through the Global SOF Network in support of our Geographic Combatant Commanders and Chiefs of Mission, SOF now have the opportunity to achieve strategic outcomes by working with and through interagency and foreign partners to understand and influence relevant populations. Translated into English, this says: Special Operations Forces used to be about capturing or killing America’s adversaries; its new mission is to shape public opinion. Or, it the words of a bullet point in the Operating Concept, the goal is “Elevating SOF non-lethal skills to the same level of expertise as lethal skills.” As radical a shift as this is, at least I could comprehend it. Not so the following graphic (http://c2.nrostatic.com/sites/default/files/SOF%20Map%20LARGE%20.jpg), which was projected onto a large floor for most of our briefing and which makes no sense to me:

http://c4.nrostatic.com/sites/default/files/pic_giant-embed_032314_SOF.jpg

Comments:

(1) I came away from this briefing unsure if the special operations leadership really believes this stuff or is mouthing it to distract the public from discussing its real mission.

(2) If it’s sincere, I worry about our future defense.

Haraka
24th Mar 2014, 10:22
Reminds me of the classic comment ( Stan McChrystal?)

" If I could understand that graphic, I could win the war"

MPN11
24th Mar 2014, 10:52
This Kindle book is part 1 or 3, all of which I picked up when they were in the "free" listing ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellow-Green-Beret-Asian-American-Stumbling-ebook/dp/B00695XWZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395658015&sr=8-1&keywords=yellow+green+beret

The author spent a fair slice of his career 'embedded' with other national forces in different countries in operational, Intel, advisory and 'hearts & minds' roles. So regardless of the complexity of the diagram ( :ooh: ) this isn't really anything new. Just, perhaps, a shift of emphasis within the multi-layered activities of SOF.

Boudreaux Bob
24th Mar 2014, 11:57
In McCrystal's Book he also quoted one of his Ops Officers who told him "At this rate, General, we will be able to kill them all in about 240 years!".

That was in reference to defeating the Iraqi Insurgency and Al Qaeda.

That is when it became an imperative to start working with various indigenous tribes, groups, sects, and others who could be convinced to step up if they knew the US Forces were genuinely intent upon leaving and were not there as Occupiers. It also required the release of some prisoners who had American Blood on their hands.

That same idea has to be used in Afghanistan as we have seen how the Brits and Russians fared when seen as foreign invaders/occupiers by the Afghani's.

Unless we take that kind of approach to SpecOps Operations we shall never be successful in large scale military endeavors.

SpecOps itself has many different missions.

Direct Action is the classic but they have since been tasked with other requirements which vary by which Unit is involved.

Bluntly put, we have added four wheel drive to the Ferrari. Perhaps it is time to put it back into the garage and do some restoration and repair.

Lonewolf_50
24th Mar 2014, 13:33
So regardless of the complexity of the diagram ( :ooh: ) this isn't really anything new. Just, perhaps, a shift of emphasis within the multi-layered activities of SOF.
Indeed.

What this amounts to is a subset of an old buzz word called "constructive engagement" on a global scale. The scheme of operations taps into the immense creativity and ingenuity of small SF teams all over the world. I first began to understand its purpose and reasnoning about twenty years ago. It a classic case of "smarter not harder" and part of why Rumsfeld, when he first became SecDef, had as one of his priorities an increase in emphasis on the SoF community at the expense of others. Cheaper and in seen as a huge "bang for the buck" model.

" If I could understand that graphic, I could win the war"
*Chuckle*
I was in a briefing once when Admiral Leighton Smith stopped the man beginning to expound on a very busy slide about the looming Bosnia operation. He said something like this.

"Some slides brief themselves. That slide holds an entire brief. Get with the Chief of Staff, brief me later. Next slide."

Canadian Break
24th Mar 2014, 20:01
"Special Operations Forces used to be about capturing or killing America’s adversaries; its new mission is to shape public opinion."

So, that'll be a 21 Century remake of "Hearts and Minds" then. I'm not sure, but I think I've heard that before. "Crab Stakes" anyone?

CB