PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff Heliport closing

Brilliant Stuff
22nd Mar 2014, 15:16
Are you aware Bristol International have pulled out of Cardiff and therefore it's closing end of the month????

Shame since it's nice complex but expensive.

heli1
22nd Mar 2014, 16:31
Assume you mean British International/ Veritair? Of correct ,it will make a nice base for another operator.

Brilliant Stuff
22nd Mar 2014, 17:57
Yes British International / Veritair.

Maybe the Police could move back to that locale....

spencer17
22nd Mar 2014, 17:57
I remember the place from a couple of years ago when flying for the Ryder Cup, very nice facility and good location to serve the southwest.

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2014, 18:04
A great shame. It's one of UKs better helicopter facilities.

Chris P Bacon
22nd Mar 2014, 18:56
So have Veitair moved to one of the Patriot/London Helicopter Centre bases, or somewhere else in Wales?

rotorspeed
22nd Mar 2014, 19:30
Agree shame. Excellent facility. Anyone know what's happening to the site? Is it being sold or redeveloped?

Bravo73
22nd Mar 2014, 19:45
According to Wiki (and elsewhere), the heliport is owned by Cardiff Council. Veritair are 'just' the operator.

So, maybe if Veritair are moving out, a new operator can move in.

Brilliant Stuff
23rd Mar 2014, 20:29
Owned by Council. They will be looking for replacement.

thwock
24th Nov 2014, 13:58
Any news on this.
Big disappointment with all the international rugby traffic

heli1
24th Nov 2014, 17:46
They were still operating during the recent NATO summit and the city council remains committed.

Owz
27th Nov 2014, 19:23
Was there today and can confirm it will be closed by BIH on 30th Nov 2014.
Cardiff Council should pull the lease. BIH still have 18 years left but with no one there its a white elephant. Shame!!

Brilliant Stuff
28th Nov 2014, 19:48
So who pays the penalties for the early release from the lease??

Great shame for the guys working there!! I only used them in earnest recently and they always rolled out the red carpet for me.

It will be a great loss to the industry!!!

Good luck chaps with your future.

Brilliant Stuff
28th Nov 2014, 19:49
I guess the Police could move back into it again, it would be more effective than St.Athan especially now Pembrey is staying.

2nd Dec 2014, 16:16
Heard a rumour to support that idea!

101BOY
7th Jan 2015, 15:51
Did the heliport close at the end of Nov? If it did, any ideas on alternatives - not Cardiff Intl?

Thanks

helihub
8th Jan 2015, 19:36
It did close, yes. Sorry can't help with alternatives, but you don't say if it is just for landing, for fuel or what other requirements you have 101BOY that were previously available at the HP

g-mady
12th Jan 2015, 19:45
Polo aviation... Just across the water...

Brilliant Stuff
24th Jan 2015, 18:36
Swansea is a gamble but Pembrey is always good though you might have to wait for a Hawk to finish off his training run before they let you in.

Otherwise Polo south of the Bristol Airport.

Fareastdriver
24th Jan 2015, 18:57
I have operated offshore support out of Haverfordwest before, use that.

Owz
26th Jan 2015, 07:56
I found a site on the east side of Cardiff last week and landed there. Had a really nice welcome and there is enough room on the front lawn by the fountain. Take a look:- St Mellons Hotel - Luxury Country Hotel Between Cardiff & Newport (http://www.stmellonshotel.com/)
If you want somewere on the west side of Cardiff then you have http://www.miskin-manor.co.uk/ a dedicated helipad there to the south of the back lawn, and the owner Colin is a Helicopter pilot himself. again you always have a nice welcome.

101BOY
26th Jan 2015, 19:09
Thanks, Miskin Manor looked good when I recced it last week.

Brilliant Stuff
29th Jan 2015, 18:31
Haverfordwest isn't open on Weekends.

oldgit
29th Jan 2015, 19:32
Why would anybody use Haverfordwest when they want to go to Cardiff anyway? They are 70 nm (and at least 2 hrs driving) apart. A bit like saying land at Shoreham if you want to go to Oxford!!! And yes, I know there is an airport at Oxford!!

Hyds Out
29th Jan 2015, 20:00
And there I was thinking that Oxford Airport was near London with their branding?

Helinut
30th Jan 2015, 16:24
Not wishing to extend the thread creep, but Haverfordwest IS open at weekends. It is just NOT licensed.

Going back to Cardiff, my experience was that it was quite useful for those who used it. However, aside from Rugby matches, FA Cup Finals when Wembley was closed, it was never very busy.

The airport is a disaster for GA. Can't recall ever going in there with a hele. Does anyone have any experiences?

However, the Council have paid for the heliport and it would be a shame to lose it: it is in a wonderful position for getting into Cardiff. Does anyone know the background? I thought the second version of Veritair got taken over by Patriot. At one stage, they seemed to want to take over the World (or a least most of the UK). Julian will no doubt want to retire by now, but they could have got someone else to front it up.

I did speculate about a float-equipped flying school being based there........... I am out of touch these days, but I guess the PPL training market is not very lively.

heli1
30th Jan 2015, 18:51
Julian Verity retired some time ago and Veritair was already under the ownership of Sir Peter's ambitious aviation plans.However he allegedly wanted Cardiff Council to subsidise the running costs of the heliport,which the council own ,and Veritair closed the operation when they couldn't reach an agreement. The city council is looking for a new operator but the Veritair lease still has some time to run .......real mess.
Meanwhile ,whilst other options exist on both sides of the Bristol Channel,the problem is fuel .The Helicopter Museum at WSM has crew fuel( bacon sarnies etc) but no avtur , as the previous fuel provider closed his business and not enough throughput to warrant setting up fuel in house. With Filton closed too there is a potential need though,to avoid the high charges at Cardiff and Bristol Airports.

Brilliant Stuff
31st Jan 2015, 16:31
I shall have to recheck on Haverfordwest, maybe I was caught out by the winter schedule or some such when I wanted to go there...

Helinut
4th Feb 2015, 14:13
As you know BS, I am based at EGFE these days.

At weekends the radio is manned by the flying school and training and private flying goes on. I believe Jet A1 is available, but getting it to your (relatively) large bird might require some pre-arrangement at weekends. As you know, my current steed sips Mogas from the local garage, so the Jet A1 thing should be checked.

The airfield did rather go into hibernation over a rather extended period over "Christmas". That may be what caught you out..........

It is a shame to hear the fate of the heliport, as detailed by heli1. It was useful to helicopter operators and the city, and occasionally pivotal. It is no surprise that the 2 parties are playing hard-ball, but once you no longer provide the service, the customers have to find alternatives.

South Wales has VERY limited GA facilities. It is a great shame.

I would not have thought that the length of the lease would preclude another operator from moving in. If they have both "walked away" in effect the contract no longer exists.

Dragpin
21st Aug 2015, 09:31
Any further news?? Loads of enquiries for the Rugby World Cup

chopjock
1st Sep 2015, 19:21
Any further news??

Still closed, bits of the roof falling off and the rain coming in. The windsock is working again though!:D

jpdm
3rd Dec 2015, 11:25
Any idea whether we can still use it as an unlicensed landing site? We don't require fuel or handling, just somewhere to drop passengers as close to Cardiff city centre as possible and park for a few hours.

Anyone know who would be best to speak to at the Council?

Thanks!

Owz
8th Apr 2016, 12:13
I have today been told Cardiff Heliport will be reopening with a new landlord very soon.
Has anyone ells got any more information?

MPR
11th Apr 2016, 13:11
Helihub have just published this update..... HeliHub UK ? Change of control at Cardiff Heliport (http://helihub.com/2016/04/11/uk-change-of-control-at-cardiff-heliport/)

egfc2002
20th Jul 2016, 21:36
Well Cardiff City Heliport [ former Tremorfa Heliport] is open again so start booking in!. Under the ownership of Cardiff City Heliport Ltd with Mr Roy Steptoe from Caernarfon Airport fame in charge the heliport is open SEVEN days from 0900-1800 in summer and 0900-1700 in winter. The website Home - Cardiff Heliport (http://www.cardiffheliport.com/) is taking shape so please take a look. You can call them on 02920-465880 if you wish and no doubt the friendly team will try and help you.

Brilliant Stuff
3rd Aug 2016, 11:26
Also the Wales Air Ambulance are basing a 135 there any moment now if its not already there...

I was told the prices are the same as before.

Also Paul who used to run the office is back as well, so all-round good news.

ShyTorque
3rd Aug 2016, 17:03
Great news. To learn of a helicopter base opening up again (rather than closing), always is!