PDA

View Full Version : Manston possible closure

P6 Driver
21st Mar 2014, 09:04
On Wednesday, the owners of Manston Airport announced a 45 day "consultation" period had begun to discuss the permanent closure of the airport. Since then, the Chief Exec has said that flying operations are unviable after 8th April.

If anyone would like to sign, there is a petition available on the link below to help try and save the airport and keep it open. It might not work, but it can't do any harm!

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-manston-airport

About 150 jobs are at risk as well as the TG Aviation flight training organisation and club and the two aviation museums on airfield land.

treadigraph
21st Mar 2014, 11:52
Thanks P6, signed...

First place I ever landed an aircraft, hard to miss that runway - it will be greatly missed if it is allowed to go.

SpringHeeledJack
21st Mar 2014, 12:32
How this airport has never really been promoted as an alternative freight hub for London and the SE is a mystery. I know that it has been mooted, but bearing in mind the congestion at LHR/STN you'd have thought that it would've been made reality. It's strange also that Lydd just down the road seems to be marketing itself as a passenger airport with an extended runway and terminal being built.

SHJ

douglasheld
21st Mar 2014, 13:38
Rip my favorite London area airport... I wonder where their Boeing/Steerman is going to go?

Twitcher
21st Mar 2014, 14:07
Kent's Manston Airport could close as early as 9 April, its chief executive Charles Buchanan has said.

BBC News - Manston Airport 'could close within three weeks' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-26662484)

Phileas Fogg
21st Mar 2014, 15:29
Rip my favorite London area airport

LOL, Manston is nearer to Belgium and France that it is to London :)

joy ride
21st Mar 2014, 17:08
Signed. Hope it helps.

LTNman
21st Mar 2014, 17:16
Kent's Manston Airport could close as early as 9 April, its chief executive Charles Buchanan has said.

So what will happen to the other companies based at Manston that need an open airport? I am sure they will have plenty to say about being forced to close down with only 3 weeks notice?

joy ride
21st Mar 2014, 21:13
If there is any chance of a developer turning the land into a big housing estate I doubt the interests of those companies will carry much weight.