PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 and BMI

GBOZR
20th Mar 2014, 10:58
Hi chaps,

Need to get my Class 1 done so I can decide to put the money towards my CPL training and MEIR. I'm confident I'll pass everything but the BMI side of things.

My BMI Currently lies just over 35 (the limit I have been told) and I'm on the way down. I'm not a fat guy, I'm broad and stocky with quite a bit of muscle. I've played Rugby and Football most of my life and continue to exercise regularly.

I've been told that the CAA won't even think about passing you if you are over that number 35. I've read about the extra examinations and flight tests and have no problem doing these! I have no problem operating my Grumman AA5 safely, which aren't the widest of airframes.

Just wondering if anyone has a Class 1 with their BMI over 35 or has any experience in this field. All comments appreciated.

Ollie Onion
5th Apr 2014, 10:01
35 is the limit for issue of the Class One medical using the standard exam, although the good news is that I believe you can still get a class one issued if your BMI is above this with some further testing. As you say this may involve more rigorous cardio testing like a stress test, a mechanical evaluation etc. I also had a mate who was issued with his Class 1 medical but with a restriction of 6 monthly medicals until his weight was reduced to a level acceptable to the CAA. Basically the CAA will normally work with you to get a medical issued, once you have the initial class one issued then the 35 bmi is no longer a restriction for renewal. My advice would be do all you can to get yourself under the 35 for the initial atleast and if you are concerned then call the CAA medical department, I have always found them very open to these sorts of enquiries.

Cheers