PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Insurance

The Flying Stool
19th Mar 2014, 13:59
Hi All,

Please could anyone explain to me how insurance policies work for privately owned and business aircraft? Up until now, all of the flying I've has been in either flying school or club based aircraft where insurance policies are organised by those organisations and therefore, I've had very little involvement with it.

Essentially, I've been offered the use of a privately owned aircraft on a dry lease basis.Essentially the aircraft in question is owned by a private individual who rarely uses it for more than 5 hours per month and he's offered me the opportunity to use it for personal and business flying for around 15-20 hours per month. Basically, I'm unsure how insurance would work in this situation.

Does aircraft insurance cover all of those named on the policy in a similar way to car insurance does with named drivers or are blanket policies more common that cover anyone who is suitably licensed and experienced?

Can anyone advise me?

Thanks

TFS

Mach Jump
19th Mar 2014, 14:22
Private aircraft insurance varies widely. You need to check the policy and see what it says. You must either be named on the policy, or covered by a blanket clause that says something like 'All pilots with the permission of the policyholder' or all pilots with more than 100 hours total time logged' etc.

Take the opportunity to check all the other documents as well, as private owners may not be so careful to keep things up to date.

MJ:ok:

douglasheld
19th Mar 2014, 14:31
Yes, exactly. The insurance document should be in the aeroplane together with the CofR, the W&B worksheet, CofA and the MEL, etc.

If it's not there or you don't understand it positively, you shouldn't fly that day.

Bob Bevan
20th Mar 2014, 16:10
Owners / operators of aircraft must have in force sufficient insurance to meet the minimum legal cover requirements for their potential liability that may arise from the operation of the aircraft. For light aircraft such potential liabilities generally relate to third parties or passengers.

That said, even though the owner has this responsibility, it is imperative for pilots to check the correct cover is in force before flying an aircraft belonging to someone else. This is not just for their own protection but also to protect the interests of such third partoes and passenegers. The key things to check are:

That a policy is in force in respect of the aircraft. The mandatory insurance certificate should provide this proof, stipulating the aircraft details and the cover effective dates.
That you are covered as a pilot, either by being specifically named in the policy or by the policy having an ‘Open Pilot Warranty’ which means any pilot can fly it that meets certain criteria (e.g. licence type, hours, hours on type etc).
That the purpose for which you will be using the aircraft is permitted by the policy.
If you are carrying passengers, that the liability cover is arranged on a combined single limit basis, otherwise the level of cover for the passengers may be too low to provide realistic protection for them or you in the event of damage or injury.
That the overall level of liability cover is sufficient. Remember the law only stipulates a minimum requirement which may not be enough cover given the damage awards now be made by the courts.

I can bore for England (or Wales to be more precise) on this subject to please feel free to drop me a PM / email or post on this thread if anyone has any queries.

Cheers

Bob

ChickenHouse
21st Mar 2014, 09:10
There is not much to do, simply grab the planes log book. In there you have to find ARC, airworthiness certificate, registration certificate, noise certificate, radio registration certificate, ELT registration and the certificate of insurance, which will tell you the basics.

If these documents and the POH are not in the plane, don't go flying, as in a ramp chek you are in deep ****in trouble anyways.

Jim59
21st Mar 2014, 23:37
I've just checked my certificate of insurance. It does not state who may fly my aircraft. That information is only in the policy document that is not required to be carried in the aircraft.

If you want to be sure you are covered in someone elses aircraft you will need access to the policy as well as the certificate.

xrayalpha
22nd Mar 2014, 07:53
Slight thread drift:

Where does it say you must carry your insurance around with you at all times?

(most people around here are microlighters, or ex-microlighters, and try to keep the weight down! Indeed, of all the gear require to be able to rent a microlight, exhibiting - but not carrying - copy of insurance is what is required.)

Bob Bevan
24th Mar 2014, 20:00
In reference to the last two posts:

a) Neither the original EC requirement nor the subsequent UK regulations (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1089/pdfs/uksi_20051089_en.pdf) prescribe the format nor content for the insurance certificate. They merely state that if asked by the CAA and owner / operator must supply “an insurance certificate or any other evidence of insurance relating to an aircraft operated by the air carrier or aircraft operator for aviation-specific liability in respect of passengers, baggage, cargo or third parties”. There was an attempt a few years ago to come up with a standard certificate but it was not finalised. Thus it may well be that you need the certificate and the schedule to cover all the bases.

b) The above UK regulations do not state that the proof of insurance need to be in the aircraft, simply that the owner / operator must be able to provide them within a ‘reasonable period’. That said it would probably be a lot less hassle to provide them on demand that to risk the ire of an overly zealous inspector!

Hope this helps.

xrayalpha
24th Mar 2014, 20:36
Hi Bob,

I keep scanned copies on Google docs - for aircraft and cars. Plus passport etc.

You get seven days at a police station of your choice for cars, that'll do for aircraft!

Maoraigh1
24th Mar 2014, 21:03
There is not much to do, simply grab the planes log book. In there you have to find ARC, airworthiness certificate, registration certificate, noise certificate, radio registration certificate, ELT registration and the certificate of insurance, which will tell you the basics.
If these documents and the POH are not in the plane, don't go flying, as in a ramp chek you are in deep ****in trouble anyways

You don't carry the engine/airframe/prop LOGS. You may not need an ELT.
We have a folder in the plane with Radio, Insurance, Permit to Fly, and a DGAC approved manual. (French build).
I'd check insurance docs very carefully before flying a privately owned aircraft. For example, what is the deductable in an accident?