PDA

View Full Version : An opportunity for Tiger, Virgin, Jetstar, or one of the other regionals.

glenb
19th Mar 2014, 12:26
Wouldnt it be great if one of the Airlines with an extensive route structure, offered the flight nurses, doctors, and pilots of the RFDS a staff discount. These girls and guys work out in these remote communities on reasonable, but certainly not extravagant salaries, often with a young family. They are generally working in areas thousands of kilometres from their families and relatives. Its not a cheap job getting a young family back home. A staff discount isnt seriously going to affect the shareholders returns. Someone in one of these Companies, please start sowing the seed. Cheers.

NoseGear
19th Mar 2014, 14:04
Mate, I have never been associated in any way remotely connected with RFDS, however, I think the work they do is of the highest order. I think your idea is a wonderful one, however, you are appealing to people whose heart has been replaced by an abacus....I sincerely wish you the best of luck in this endeavor and I would happily eat my hat if one of these airlines came to the party, which all of them absolutely should as part of their corporate and social responsibility. :ok:

Car RAMROD
19th Mar 2014, 16:12
why do you want rfds personnel to get preferential discounts??
why not the rest of the ga mob and other low income earners who have to pay extortionate prices on some routes??

last rfds people i met have told me they get accomodated freely in the remote places. Do not pay utilities. Get fuel vouchers for their cars. Heck they have even had their belongings relocated at no cost to them. Getting paid above what comparable aircraft type operators pay.

I don't believe they have told me porkies, so it does sound like they have it tough. Lets save them a few dollars on an airline ticket out and then put the price up for the rest of us to offset their discount.

yeah, they do a good job, but then again so do many other people who probably deserve a cheaper flight out on an escape back to reality more.

Capt Claret
19th Mar 2014, 22:51
What is the business opportunity for any, or all, airlines who offer such a discount?

It'd be great too if in Aus we could offer the jump seat to fellow aviators. Neither idea will ever grow legs IMO.

Blueskymine
20th Mar 2014, 00:27
Yep and those poor doctors out there doing their bit. It's a tough gig earning about 2k per day working somewhere like hedland.

Hell, even the rfds pilots are earning more these days than airline pilots.

Yes it's a noble cause. However the folk who are doing it
are not doing it for free. They are paid fairly, and accordingly.

Staff travel should be afforded to remote general aviation piston pilots. They are the ones who really need it!

Anthill
20th Mar 2014, 22:25
The airlines are not turning a dime at the moment. It may be a nice gesture to offer a discount to RFDS personnel, but why should a company subsidise the travel desires of RFDS staff? What about other professions that make a valuable social contribution in remote areas, such as Teachers? Maybe RFDS staff should arrange with their employer to have a certain number of travel sectors per year included in their EBA?

Wally Mk2
20th Mar 2014, 22:47
This idea was looked at some time ago, some sort of staff travel offered to the RFDS under certain conditions so it couldn't be abused but didn't lead anywhere probably 'cause pretty much like 'Clarey' said, besides Aussies love to cut off people at the knees when it comes to any ideas where somebody is getting something they can't get.

Wmk2

TBM-Legend
21st Mar 2014, 01:03
...anyway who'd pay the FBT ??

Oktas8
21st Mar 2014, 11:24
anyway who'd pay the FBT ??

A donation to a registered charity, whether in cash or kind, should not attract FBT for the recipient. Whether the donation is used at the coalface (helping sick people) or for business costs (staff travel) is not relevant.

I sound like a tax accountant don't I? But I'm not. Could be wrong, then...

haughtney1
21st Mar 2014, 12:15
It'll never happen in Oz….cos this is in the cultural DNA…

Dr John Buttsworth on Australian Envy - YouTube

Square Bear
21st Mar 2014, 13:39
It'll never happen in Oz….cos this is in the cultural DNA…

So glad to see that the "entitlement generation" is alive and well.

Oh, can you organise my mortgage to be paid along with the free travel.

FMD:ugh: