PDA

View Full Version : Are SO jobs worth it

annita
18th Mar 2014, 22:50
Hello all,
Its been a while.
Just spoke to a friend who has been offered a SO position.

What are your thoughts on this, he is fresh out of flight school and wants to start somewhere.

Upgrades are slow in this company but i told him as the current situation is, its better than nothing.

All comments are welcome….

captain.weird
18th Mar 2014, 23:08
It depends on the salary (can you pay the bills?), will you get sufficient hours to log, what of company is it (major with chances to grow up?), for how long will you be a SO etc..

annita
18th Mar 2014, 23:26
As mentioned , upgrade is slow and the salary is not the worst I have seen , between 40k-43k USD and long flight which I believe he will be able to log some time.
Besides , not many others are hiring

schweizer2
19th Mar 2014, 15:33
Just out of flight school? Most likely worth it! Feel free to pop me a pm if he decides not to take it and I'll be happy to pop an application in.

Not many hiring, I am guessing he is not paying for the type rating.... heck sounds like a great start into aviation for 2014!

Aleboni
19th Mar 2014, 15:40
Which company is this?:confused:

lyubko
19th Mar 2014, 16:59
Sorry for my stupid question , but what is the meaning of SO - Senior Officer or Second Officer ?

captain.weird
19th Mar 2014, 20:47
If it is a major and he can grow up on the list from SO to FO to SFO to Captain, why not? Is it a building up airline (stepping-stone) or a very well maintained airline?

annita
19th Mar 2014, 23:23
They been around for 4 decades and they take the occasional SO.
The guy took the offer, happy for him.

Torque Tonight
22nd Mar 2014, 13:42
As an unemplyed ab-initio, he would have been an idiot to turn down any paying job offer. He did the sensible thing.

LVL_CHG
22nd Mar 2014, 14:04
As long as he could afford it (and I think most certainly would on that salary) he would have been stupid to not have taken it.

I worked as cabin crew in a company I wanted to work for for a year and yes I had to scrimp and save to make ends meet. They however then rewarded me for my loyalty!

There's a lot to be said for loyalty, networking, proving your worth etc that a lot of people neglect nowadays and just expect to be handed "their profession" straight away post training.