PDA

View Full Version : Practical RT Test

Mach Jump
18th Mar 2014, 20:51
Do any other National Authorities in EASA require a Practical RT Test before licences include RT privileges, or is this another UK only thing?

LS-4
18th Mar 2014, 21:52
"Practical RT test" = Language Proficiency Test?

If so, other states require testing as well (i.e. Nordic countries).

Whopity
18th Mar 2014, 22:43
"Practical RT test" = Language Proficiency Test? Not so, they are seperate.
Radio operator certificates are issued in accordance with Art 37 of the ITU Regulations
37.17 2) Each administration is free to fix the number of examinations necessary to obtain each certificate.

37.30 2) For aircraft radiotelephone stations operating on frequencies allocated exclusively to the aeronautical mobile service, each administration may itself fix the conditions for obtaining a radiotelephone operator's restricted certificate, provided that the operation of the transmitter requires only the use of simple external switching devices. The administration shall ensure that the operator has an adequate knowledge of radiotelephone operation and procedure particularly as far as distress, urgency and safety are concerned.

Mach Jump
18th Mar 2014, 23:15
"Practical RT test" = Language Proficiency Test?

No. In the UK, to include RT privileges the Candidate for a pilot licence has to take a Practical Test with a specially authorised examiner, using special equipment, at specified locations, consisting of the simulation of a flight on a computer screen, and performing the RT exchanges for various scenarios.

It's my impression that the UK is the only Authority that requires this kind of test, and that other countries accept that practical competence is demonstrated during flight training.

I quite like the practical test, but it can be a pain to organise, and costs the Candidate around £80-100, so if this is a hoop that only the UK are making their Candidates jump through, then in the brave new world of the 'level playing field' either it should be made compulsory throughout EASA, or scrapped in the UK.

MJ:ok:

localflighteast
19th Mar 2014, 01:18
In Canada for a PPL you need to get a restricted radio operator license which is a multi choice test administered on behalf on Industry Canada.

I think it cost about 50 bucks for the license, its good for life but can be revoked if you do something stupid like swearing at ATC.

Whopity
19th Mar 2014, 10:33
it should be made compulsory throughout EASA, or scrapped in the UK.The requirement is from the ITU. EASA is not a signatoriy to the ITU so it is down to the individual member States that are ITU signatories.

Other countries in Europe have a pracrtical test but not necessarily the same as the UK. In the 80s the UK provided two options, Continuous Assessment or the RTF Practical. Two different standards emerged, Continuous Assessment had turned into a guaranteed tick in the box, so was abandoned in favour of the establishecd test.

If you read the various threads relating to RT then we have a large proportion of the indsustry who couldn't give a stuff. Everyone has their pet praseology that they consider sacresanct. On a busy day at any UK airfield you hear some much unnecessary garbage, perhaps its time to give it all up and have a free for all, now we can all speak English we should be able to sort it out!

Mach Jump
19th Mar 2014, 11:20
...perhaps its time to give it all up and have a free for all,...

Hahaha I'm not sure anyone would notice the difference!

MJ:ok: