PDA

View Full Version : Aussie pilots care to comment?

VH-XXX
17th Mar 2014, 11:08
I came across this tonight.... just thinking about John Q etc and how much trouble THIS guy would be in if he was flying in Australia! There's some interesting stuff in there, well worth the watch.

5jWMHUiyyx8

Flyting
17th Mar 2014, 13:06
Australia...........imagine he did that **** in the UK.......:ooh:

Art of flight
17th Mar 2014, 13:08
Cattle ranching with R22s springs to mind.

CYHeli
18th Mar 2014, 07:00
On the face of it, if it was here in Aus, CASA would have reason to ask questions, but if they are associated with the 'gators' and have a lawful reason for doing it, what issue? Airwork, pop out floats over water, etc.

There are only a couple of low flying bits, the IGE hover over the water and then the 100' @ 60 KIAS over the canal, both could be argued as airwork. Maybe, :=

It looks like a lovely place to fly and very accommodating to the heli community, good for them.:D

There are plenty of examples of poor flying on the net, this isn't one of them. Do we really need to question everything we see, or leave that to the Chief pilots or check airman of the country of origin? Just my thoughts.

VH-XXX
18th Mar 2014, 07:44
Do we really need to question everything we see

Quite the contrary... it looks fine from a stupidity perspective and within the US regs; you just wouldn't get away with it in many other countries.

Arrrj
18th Mar 2014, 08:20
I'm an Aussie pilot ! :ok:

So what ?...yawn.:zzz:

Although, after flying with one of the Pprunners from London (top bloke) in his lovely heli down the Thames (etc), I now know that the poor guys in the UK have it MUCH worse than we do in AUS.

CASA are only concerned about dangerous flying...stupidity (showing off) is not always that, but it can be.

All the best,
Arrrj

(I agree with CYheli...).

PS - it's a helicopter...not a A380 !

captpugwash
18th Mar 2014, 10:57
Only thing wrong with that flight is its so lame...grow some gonads...:ugh:

topendtorque
18th Mar 2014, 11:02
mmm oh well, photographic evidence, Looks like a Joy Flight = Charter = 500' over open area etc. = CASA tough audit = tears. Same same most any country I guess.

btw, who's the John Q to whom you refer?

VH-XXX
18th Mar 2014, 11:19
John Quadrio is the reason why we don't like videos of ourselves finding their way onto Youtube.

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/434049-warning-beware-camera.html

John Quadrio | Assistance to the Aviation Industry (http://vocasupport.com/casa-and-actions-against-the-industry/john-quadrio/)

http://www.**********/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13110&sid=2fe01e8beb1e4f78ce44a2c8c501309b

SASless
18th Mar 2014, 12:19
If what the OP's video shows being done bothers you....then it is "you" that has the problem. Other than it being a Robinson....at least it was an R-44....I fail to see anything illegal in the video...or patently unsafe. Even the low level flying was done at a comfortable height....and it appears all heights were legal when near People and "things" on the ground.

I guess some folk just cannot understand that Helicopter flying can be "fun"...and safe at the same time.

It is not a matter of "Rules" being broken......but rather a "Mindset" that needs breaking.

Before you criticize you should first at least know what the hell you are talking about!

dubbleyew eight
18th Mar 2014, 13:26
sasless let me explain. we pilots in australia have absolutely no problem with the guy's flying.

our regulator though are a bunch of foaming at the mouth tossers who see any flight a dire risk to safety.
you as a normal sensible person would not believe the bastardry they get up to.
in australia the guy would have his licence cancelled for low flying and a raft of other imaginary offences.
You would not believe our CASA until you saw them in action.

John Quadrio has his licence cancelled for a flight with a few steep turns.

Bravo73
18th Mar 2014, 13:53
'Gator baiting in a single? :ooh:

He is a) braver than me and b) has a greater trust in Mr Lycoming and Mr Robinson than me.

Gordy
18th Mar 2014, 14:56
Bravo73
Gator baiting in a single?

Not a big deal. Used to fly a contract with Florida Dept. of Fish and Wildlife where we would fly and identify nests to be "retrieved", we would then hover while the airboats went in. The gators normally just moved to one side.....
Oh...and you do realize that people swim in the waters right.... They will take a dog but rarely a human.

krypton_john
18th Mar 2014, 20:19
If you did that in NZ someone would give you a DB.

John Eacott
18th Mar 2014, 20:31
There's a thread about John Q's flight and subsequent prosecution: Warning: Beware the Camera (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/434049-warning-beware-camera.html). The advent of phone cameras and YouTube has a lot to answer for!

W8, I'd take exception to your comments about CASA FOIs, I've been lucky enough to have worked with a splendid bunch over the years here in Victoria. Apocryphal tales from interstate have made me aware that others haven't always been as fortunate :hmm:

topendtorque
18th Mar 2014, 22:16
Ah yes, thanks that John q, I was thinking of another.

I too doubt I've met a co**head CASA FOI, well, perhaps one was a bit strange a few years back, I gave him the nickname "three dogs", cos everyone else has two dogs see. He has long gone from CASA.

The problem with flying charter below 500' AGL is that so often the pilots who do it have found the job as their very first job, are not trained to handle down wind problems and they crash with spectacularly horrific results. (bungle bungle flight not long back)

So, unless there is a dispo to do a particular charter as a joy flight B500' I will join the chorus of saying the flight is illegal and should be jumped on by CASA who would be acting irresponsibly if they did not...

As far as your South American gators are concerned afaik they are very much like our fresh water crocodiles, complete and utter pussy cats compared with the real ones, our salties. These animals are protected in the wild except for hazard reduction and licensed egg collection which is now done in a steel cage lifted by helicopter with egg collector inside, but still their population has exploded, thus many people are being taken by them. It is a most irksome situation as virtually no northern fresh water waterhole is safe, all rivers are unsafe.

hillberg
18th Mar 2014, 23:22
BFD:eek: PART 91. GET OVER IT .:=