PDA

View Full Version : garmin aera 500

wicks747
15th Mar 2014, 23:02
Hi guys I am currently using an aera 500 for sheep spotting work and wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to quickly mark a point on the map (like the M.O.B button on earlier garmins). The only way I can find to do it from the manual is to create a full waypoint which is a bit time consuming and requires several steps. I would appreciate anyone with a bit more experience with the area models input thanks.

fujii
16th Mar 2014, 01:00
I don't how many steps you're taking.
Touch screen at the point you want.
Touch menu.
Touch create waypoint.
Touch numeric.
Touch OK.

You can use the number provided or give your own.
There is also the option of alphabetical naming before you touch numeric.

wicks747
16th Mar 2014, 09:43
Yes that's true but it's a lot more difficult than pressing a single button. Ideally I just want to leave a dot on the screen where I saw a mob of sheep so the next time I fly past I know where to look and can tell if they have moved off.

VH-XXX
16th Mar 2014, 09:49
You're not wrong, that is a little complex. The Garmin 296-396 etc do it with the press of a single button "mark." (Plus enter perhaps)

fujii
16th Mar 2014, 10:23
If that's what you need, Oz Runways is much simpler. It is much easier than using the small Aera 500 screen.

wicks747
17th Mar 2014, 09:59
The garmin has it's good points like I have loaded all the paddock corners off co workers normal gps using the basecamp program and can now create flight plans that draw a boundary line of the paddock and the bread crum trail on the garmin is ideal. But still open to the idea. What dose oz runways run like with no 3/4g coverage. Where I'm based is very remote.

VH-XXX
17th Mar 2014, 10:08
You don't need 3/4G coverage to use OZRunways. You do need to download the maps first on wireless or 3/4G. If you forget to download the maps prior to your flight with no coverage, then the maps won't appear.

Just make sure you buy the cellular model of the iPad, but don't bother adding a sim card unless you need the weather radar overlay.

fujii
17th Mar 2014, 10:20
I have an iPad two with WIFI. The WIFI is not needed in flight as I use a Dual 150 GPS receiver with a Bluetooth connection to the iPad. Works a treat. You can zoom in on the map and very easy to add waypoints. Gar in updates are expensive whereas Ox Runways is $79 per year for the VFR version.