PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal Crash at Wonderboom

Vlamgat
17th May 2002, 11:42
:mad: :mad: :mad:

As you all can see, I'm Jobless too like the most of you. Now I'm sitting at home brooding and getting fat!! However, You need to know this when flying into Wonderboom!!

The Aircraft was fully fuelled three pax o/b and OAT +- 25 deg.
The ATC cleared the aircraft to taxi holding. RWY 29, he then proceeded (as most crash reports states) to taxi To holding. RWY 11. He did his runup and called ready. The ATC cleared him off RWY 29 with standard departing procedure. The pilot lined up RWY 11 and started rolling, only to realise that there was visual traffic in the opposite direction. He turned right abruptly at very low speed, stall and spun the aircraft into someone's Lapa.

The ATC was only suspended for two weeks and is now back on active Non-supervised duty. There has been numerous complaints and incidents with this particular ATC. I have heard of someone actually standing on his stoep at home, having a sundowner, with his handheld, and flying an entire circuit without there even existing such an aircraft!!

I thought that only people that are qualified and competent would be able to be an ATC??

Fly Carefully at FAWB

Regards

Paddle Steamer
19th May 2002, 05:57
This is another indication that our aviation scene is becoming(or already is)just like the rest of africa.The sad thing is that many "african orientated" aircrew automatically adjust to standard survival techniques when operating outside SA...this no longer applies and should now become a matter of course.:(

doubleu-anker
22nd May 2002, 21:07
Very sad indeed. I am aware that 20/20 hindsite is easy of course.

I don't know what happened on the day of the accident but it is always good practice to to repeat back the t/o clearance including the cleared t/o R/W, others will hear this also and take note. Having done that reconfirm to yourself by, eg compass heading or R/W markings that indeed the cleared R/W is indeed the correct R/W.

Unfortunatly they are not the first and they will not be the last, to fall into this trap, if indeed that is what happened.

DownIn3Green
26th May 2002, 02:11
So we all believe Vlamgat? Where is the PPrune spirit of telling this tosser that he must provide actual facts prior to slagging ATC or anyone else for that matter.

If the account is true, why is the target of the post not on the pilot for going the wrong way?

We are the ultimate authority, after all...

Gunship
26th May 2002, 07:46
Downin3green I pressume you are an ATC... I must remind you, you are in the Africa forum mate ... especially a South African topic ... you might appreciate the "new" South Africa as I am sure is the case here. :p

I used to operate from Wonderboom since 77 (as a schoolkid) till 96 and all I can remember it's HIGHLY professional ATC's.

Unfortunately things have changed for the worse ... I am busy compiling another thread and you might find that interesting re GHANA AIRWAYS and The SOUTH AFRICAN AIRPORTS COMPANY / IMMIGRATION / CUSTOMS at JHB International. :mad:

Have a good day and spare a thought to somebody that post a thread like that ... he is just giving his thoughts ... I mean this a rumour site is it not ?
:D

Vlamgat
26th May 2002, 10:24
Three greens Down and Locked??

Maybe, however, your Amber "in travel light" might have blown, giving you a false indication!!

Stick to at least getting us safe in the air, we'll try our best to do the rest!!

The pilot was taking evasive action, best he could, all the ATC could do after he botched it was to grip his Mic. Tighter!!

And stop moving the damn sector Boundaries!!

A double Ginnintonnix a day keeps the stress away!!

Cheerio!!

C Yeager
1st Jun 2002, 18:56
[FONT=arial][COLOR=blue]Vlammie .....you surely make a few very wild accusations .... which I trust you are able to back up ...

Food for thought ...
1. An ATC Clearance/ instruction MUST BE readback in full.
2. Cross checking oneself & the ATC is never a bad idea ...in many a case cross checking is a must ......Singapore (SQ006) departing off a closed runway and Dynasty EA34 DEPARTING off a TAXIWAY in Canada (totally non aligned with the active runway) are two recent examples of where airlines have got it wrong .....I can name countless more examples where ATC had "boo boo's" - it has happened & it will most likely happen again - before our dear God help shape us into pilots and ATC's he made us HUMAN and as such WE WILL make mistakes.
3. Have a heart for the ATC at this time ....imagine how he/she feels right now ...there was so much said in the press blaming the ATC ......if a SA ATC is not competent I am sure ATNS will do something about it ..they apply stringent standard's measures. There was a mid air collision in about 96/97 at Rand ...miraculously nil injury ....anyway the solo student in the circuit was totally to blame ....the ATC did his job 100 % ++ and some ...however as a pre-cautionery ("we have nothing to hide" act) ATNS suspended the ATC pending a couple of dual sessions and a full re-check ....the instructor of the solo student was (to the best of my knowledge) not even on the airfield or monitoring to student's progress - nothing was said / done to instructor / flying school .....
4. I can vouch for the fact that seeing an aircraft at the holding point Rwy29 or lined up Rwy29 at Wonderboom from the Control Tower is very difficult at the best of times ......so IF this condition existed / combined with that IF and IF etc etc etc ...it is quite possible for the ATC not to have noticed the C177 depart Rwy11 until it was too late ...point is - for every so called reason as to why the ATC slipped up, there is a valid mitigating circumstance that could have taken place.....
5. Bottom line ....incident started with the pilot that taxied to the wrong holding point ....
NEVER ASSUME ...BECAUSE THOSE THAT ASSUME make an ASS out of U and ME