PDA

View Full Version : Valid PPL prior to commencing ATPL examinations?

Rocket_Man
13th Mar 2014, 14:13
Hello,

I'm a bit confused here.

I have a PPL issued back in 2007 but did not renew it before the 5 year expiry date. I was unable to continue the path towards CPL due to medical reasons (my eyesight) but after the EASA took over, I finally were able to obtain the class one medical! And so the journey had to continue...

I signed up for the ATPL distance learning, and my plan was to sit the first module's exams whereafter I'd renew my PPL plus the SEPL rating before sitting the final ATPL exams.

BUT I then came to realize that it might not be possible to sit the ATPL exams without a valid PPL so of course I contacted my training provider who responded that it was NOT possible. I had to renew my PPL asap!

At the same time I contacted the UK-CAA and a few days later I recieved a responce telling me that "it is not a requirement to hold a PPL prior to commencing the ATPL examinations".

I've spent the last couple of days trying to locate any valuable information on the subject, but are unable to find anything. I have been through the CAP-804 several times, but without luck.

The simple question would be: Can I, or can I not begin the ATPL examination without a valid PPL?
But of course any info/inputs will be very much appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance.

Alex Whittingham
13th Mar 2014, 15:38
You certainly need to hold a ICAO PPL or higher licence to start a CPL Modular course, which would include the ATPL theory course you are doing. The UK CAA at least interpret 'hold a PPL' as 'hold a current and valid PPL'. Most people would also interpret this as applying to any CPL Modular course, in other words you need a current and valid PPL to start both the theory and the flying.

There is no specific requirement to hold a current and valid PPL to sit the exams, nor is there requirement to hold a current and valid PPL as a precondition to licence issue. You only need it to start a modular course.

I think that, assuming it was current and valid when you started the course, you will be OK.

Rocket_Man
14th Mar 2014, 13:59
Hi Alex
Thanks for your reply.

However I can still not find anything stating that one would need to hold a PPL prior to commencing til ATPL examinations. The only info I'm able to find on the subject is that: CAP 804, section 4, part L, page 7

Applicants for an ATPL(A) who complete their theoretical knowledge instruction at a
modular course shall:
(a) hold at least a PPL(A) issued in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago
Convention

As I understand it the requirements for the applicant is to hold at least a (valid) PPL to complete the ATPL examinations.

Anyways, I'm currently awaiting clarification from my training provider and the CAA. They might shed some light on it.

Regards,

Alex Whittingham
16th Mar 2014, 00:50
There is no requirement to have a PPL to sit the exams. Your problem may be that you had to have a valid and current PPL to start the theory course. If you didn't there will be a problem. The CAA may accept you if you make it current now, you are pretty much in their hands.