PDA

View Full Version : CAA PPL(A) conversion to EASA??

Training Risky
13th Mar 2014, 10:46
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a bone post, but I have been through CAP 804 and I still can't figure out if I can start flying again on my old CAA PPL(A), issued by converting an FAA PPL(A) in 1998.

Background: I haven't flown an aeroplane since 2000. I stopped flying helicopters in 2002 as a QMP(H) to go into a ground branch of the RAF until now. TT 550 hrs: 200 fixed-wing, 350 helicopter.

The exam question is...can I rock up to my local flying school with my old CAA PPL with some cash, do some refresher training, get a Class 3 Medical and carry on flying G-registered Cessnas and Robins as though nothing changed since 1998?

Or should the CAA be expecting a large cheque from me for a JAR-FCL licence?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Thanks!:ok:

worldpilot
13th Mar 2014, 14:00
In terms of flying an aircraft, nothing has changed since you stopped flying in 2000.

However, it sounds as if your PPL licence is not valid any more and that means you have to renew your licence before you can fly as PIC.

It is pretty straight forward on what steps to take and this has been clarified in several threads in this forum. So do a search and your hits will be high on this topic.

Basically, you need to get an examiner to test your skills to command an aircraft and then sign you off. For more information, check CAP 804 and search the forum.

WP

DLT1939
13th Mar 2014, 14:08
You will also need to convert your renewed CAA PPL to an EASA PPL if you want to fly EASA aircraft with full privileges after 7 April.

This site is helpful:

http://www.higherplane.co.uk/faq.html

see also EASA Q's on the same site.

BillieBob
13th Mar 2014, 14:32
Your CAA PPL(A) is still valid - it remains valid for life. What has expired is your Single-Engine Piston (SEP) Class Rating; to renew this, you will need to attend an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) and complete sufficient refresher training to pass a proficiency check (content of the prof check is at CAP 804, Section 4, Part L, Page 51). The amount of the refresher training is at the discretion of the ATO (or RTF until April 2015). Before the CAA will renew the rating, they will require that you also hold at least a Class 2 medical (no such thing as a Class 3 these days).

Once the class rating has been renewed, you're good to go with full PPL privilege in any SEP aeroplane until 8 April 2014. Thereafter, you can fly EASA aircraft (i.e. those with an EASA C of A) only with the privileges of a LAPL(A) (aircraft below 2000kg with no more than 3 passengers) but you retain full PPL privileges on 'Annex II' aircraft (mainly historic aircraft, homebuilt, ex-military, microlights, etc.).

To retain ful PPL privileges on EASA aircraft after 8 April this year, you will need an EASA licence (see CAP 804, Section 4, Part P). This does not mean that you have to give up your CAA licence as you can hold both and it's probably a good idea to do so.

GipsyMagpie
13th Mar 2014, 14:36
Renew your sep(a) class rating (training as required). Then get your licence converted to easa. Simpuls. The bit you want in cap 804 is the icao conversion section (obviously). And yes the medical is needed. Look up Doc Waldron on the AME list. Top chap who can advise mil to civ medical requirements. If you get stuck PM me.

BackPacker
13th Mar 2014, 15:28
Don't forget to sort out your LPE at the same time. Let the examiner tick the proper box on the renewal form, or a separate 1199 form.

With the EASA conversion, all your ducks have to be in the same row, facing the same direction, standing at attention, before the CAA can move.

wb9999
13th Mar 2014, 17:35
Are CAA FRTOL's issued for life or do they have a 10 year expiry like the JAR licences did?

Training Risky
14th Mar 2014, 17:41
Thanks for the help fellas,

I can see that I will ned to write a cheque to the CAA for an EASA licence for GA within UK only.

Whose idea was it to join the EU anyway:mad:

Is there ANY benefit to GA from EASA/JAR for the extra money you pay?

Cheers all.

Mach Jump
14th Mar 2014, 17:57
You will also find that the Group A Rating (SE aircraft of all types) that you used to have has now been restricted to piston engined aircraft only. (SEP)

And even if we were to leave the EU, we are still stuck with EASA (or EAA as it is to be known. The 'Safety' bit is to be dropped.)

Is there ANY benefit to GA from EASA/JAR for the extra money you pay?

None, that I can see. :*:mad:

MJ:ok: