PDA

View Full Version : Cost of newish C172 or 182 in Aus

Andy_P
13th Mar 2014, 09:20
I got the bug. Would say I am enjoying aviation more than anything I have ever done before. So much so, I have started looking at aircraft...

Being a noob to all this, just quizzing the price I should expect to pay for a newish 172 or 182 with a glass cockpit , say 500-1000 hours (ie, plenty of time to run). I say glass cockpit, just because I am looking for a reference point. I have done the maths, and its cheaper to rent, but the convenience of being able to use a plane when I want is appealing. So its pretty likely I am going to buy something. But,... I am not going to do so until I am licenced or unless I see a bargain. So as with everything I do, I start looking well in advance, and quite often its paid off with a bargain that you cant walk away from...

So what the rough price bracket I should expect?

Also, I cant find any detail on rego and insurance costs in AU. Can someone enlighten me? This may change my opinion altogether.

(BTW, there is a couple of aircraft on the market that fit the bill, hence the reason I ask)

airwolf117
13th Mar 2014, 09:23
I saw a 182S (the last one before Glass Cockpits), IFR, 1998 build year advertised for $200k.

Andy_P
13th Mar 2014, 09:36
I saw a 182S (the last one before Glass Cockpits), IFR, 1998 build year advertised for $200k.

There is a 182 g1000 with 1020hours total for $320K for sale at the moment, but I am pretty sure I have seen a later model one with less hours for $300k...

There is certainly some good low hour aircraft out there significantly cheaper than a new one.

Ultralights
13th Mar 2014, 09:52
182 with approx 500 hrs and G1000 equipped for $250K at YSBK

Andy_P
13th Mar 2014, 09:55
182 with approx 500 hrs and G1000 equipped for $250K at YSBK

Any more details?

Jack Ranga
13th Mar 2014, 10:07
Andy, there's probably a bit of room to move on that 250k as well, there are some cracking bargains considering the new price on a glass C182. Think very hard about the glass though, updates & maintenance cost!!

Ultralights
13th Mar 2014, 10:13
its rego is FNW, parked next to Bankstown helicopters, on the northern west end of the airport, or parked on the northern grassed area next to the red baron hangar. i will be there all weekend, flew it to Tassie last october, its been an outback bird, full of red dust.

Andy_P
13th Mar 2014, 10:32
Andy, there's probably a bit of room to move on that 250k as well, there are some cracking bargains considering the new price on a glass C182. Think very hard about the glass though, updates & maintenance cost!!

Yup, completely agree. There is one benefit to glass, I can lease to the flight school. Like I said, early days, just looking into it now unless I find a real bargain.

Still interested in rego and insurance, the only info I cant find anything about.

@Ultralights if that 182 is advertised you reckon you can send me some details?

Jack Ranga
13th Mar 2014, 11:25
You'll pay a percentage of the hull value, on a 2fiddy value maybe 1.5%, probably a bit more, ring QBE, they want your business :ok: rego is buggerall, a one off $130 I think it was? Check your PM's bro :ok:

Jabawocky
13th Mar 2014, 12:28
Andy P

Check your PMs also.

I have some advise for C182 buyers and glass. I know some VERY nice 182's that are a few years older but with all the gear updated, and they are awesome machines. You won't buy them but you can replicate.

Lots of bargains to be found in the USA, but you just need to know what you are doing to not get burned.

All the best :ok:

Arnold E
14th Mar 2014, 10:31
Be very aware of the likelyhood of SIDS inspections on 100 series Cessna's when finding that bargain. The one thing that I can absolutely assure you is that there is no such thing as a bargain aircraft.

Ultralights
14th Mar 2014, 12:14
Did you take a close look at it? Needs a fair bit of TLC that one.
actually, its not too bad, needs a wash and clean up, but flies really well, nice G1000 setup. interior is in good nick, everything works. flew it for 4 days around tassie, Vic and NSW, couldnt fault it. only thing i could find is a few missing static wicks, and a small dent in the horiz stabiliser leading edge. still flew like new.

Aussie Bob
14th Mar 2014, 21:49
There is no such thing as a bargain aircraft

I disagree. Whenever there are purchasable assets there are people needing to dump assets. I have seen quite a few bargains in used aircraft simply because the owners desperately needed out. Look hard and offer low. Research US prices.

Perhaps the bargain bit could be rephrased: Purchasing a bargain aeroplane will still cost you a motza somewhere down the track.

Nothing like an aeroplane, a beautiful woman or a racehorse to make an otherwise sane businessman part with his bucks.

Andy_P
15th Mar 2014, 01:19
Thanks Clearedtoreenter, an excellent post and some good tips there for a new buyer!

For me, the main reason I am looking at g1000 aircraft, is I can possibly lease to the flight school, which would help offset some of the costs. The cost of a 172 is more attractive to me personally, but the 182 offers a little more in regards to useful load and range. I eventually want to do a fair bit of cross country touring so the 182 is certainly a very good option.

Andy_RR
15th Mar 2014, 01:19
Everything that Clearedto writes almost would make one run away and order an RV10 kit...

Jack Ranga
15th Mar 2014, 05:00
Yes, it did :E

I dunno where he's doing his shopping though, a little on the high side, make that a lot on the high side :cool: