PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Sunderland or Princess

Suffolk Lad
13th Mar 2014, 08:25
Hi, foment some time I have been thinking of building an Rc flying boat. I rather like two one is the Sunderland and the other is the Princess. I always like to see my future models in the flesh so to speak. I have seen the Sunderland flying but wondered if anyone knew where it's home base is? The Princess three were built but never carried a passenger does anyone know if they were all scrapped or if there is one or part of one somewhere?

Simtech
13th Mar 2014, 16:09
As far as I know the Princesses were all scrapped. There's an interesting article about Saunders-Roe and the Princess in the current (April) issue of FlyPast magazine.

There is a Sunderland in the RAF Museum at Hendon. It's normally accessible to visitors so you can go on board and have a look around the inside. There's also a Sandringham (effectively a civil version of the Sunderland) at the Solent Sky museum in Southampton. I'm willing to be corrected (as always) but I don't think there is a Sunderland (or Sandringham) in flying condition anywhere in the world at the moment.

joy ride
13th Mar 2014, 20:57
I think I remember seeing a Sunderland on display at Duxford, but you can walk through the one at Hendon. I went to Solent Sky with my Dad (ex FAA) a couple of years ago and went inside the Sandringham and later a curator allowed us to climb up to the flight deck. Quite a view!
You Tube footage of them, and Princess.

Suffolk Lad
13th Mar 2014, 21:31
There was a Sunderland that had been turned into a faux Sandringham as it wasn't done by Shorts that was flying at several shows back in the 90's but seems to have disappeared. I am not sure where it went. I knew there was one at Hendon. I didn't know about the one at Duxford must have missed that one. I will have to toddle along and have a good decko. Always good to go there as one of my favourites is there as well in the shape of TSR2.

Thanks for the help guys.

treadigraph
14th Mar 2014, 07:40
Definitely a Sunderland at Duxford.

The flying Sunderland/Sandringham is with Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Fligjht at Polk City in Florida, though I don't belive it has flown since it arrived.

Unfortunately he is closing the collection to the public very soon, though no doubt he will host open days from time to time.

The two Princesses were were scrapped in the late 1960s.

Planemike
15th Mar 2014, 12:26
The two Princesses were were scrapped in the late 1960s.

All three were scrapped.......

Planemike

3rd_ear
15th Mar 2014, 13:29
Alas, no Sunderland, but a hell of a coinkydink that this thread started just now - Vintage Aircraft (Fantasy of Flight in FL): Fujifilm X System / SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53313650)

henry_crun
15th Mar 2014, 18:57
I once saw a Princess flying. I was in Henleaze, Bristol and she was doing a pass over Filton, or rather Patchway, where the ten Proteus engines were built. No doubt a courtesy visit.

http://mike-wsm.org.uk/zpp146.jpg

I've never seen anything so totally improbable, she was absolutely enormous, three decks supported by those tiny looking wings. Just like a large building flying over. From where I was there was no discernable sound, very unlike the other big guy who flew over frequently in those far-off years.

All the best with the model, if in doubt do both. :ok:

Methersgate
15th Mar 2014, 19:54
You can walk through the Sunderland at Duxford.

I am old enough to have seen a "cocooned "Princess but not a flying one. difficult but very spectacular r/c model.

Mechta
15th Mar 2014, 23:18
There was a proposal to convert the Princess to nuclear power, which maybe why they were cocooned for some time, in the hope something would come of this.

Had the Princess been successful, the next step would have been the Duchess:

Giant transport project from 1950's, page 1 (http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread198736/pg1)

Sad to hear that the Fantasy of Flight is closing. I really enjoyed the visit a few years back, with the sight of the Fieseler Storch in the air being the icing on the cake.

joy ride
16th Mar 2014, 13:37
24 RR Conways in one plane, that's a noise I would like to hear! Er, perhaps NOT while trying to sleep!

I recall another SR proposal called the "Dollar Princess" referring to possible earnings on Trans-Atlantic work and/or sales.

AdamFrisch
16th Mar 2014, 15:24
Like mentioned, Kermit Weeks has or had one he flew over at Fantasy of Flight in Florida. Museum is shutting down in April, but the collection will stay.

WHBM
16th Mar 2014, 17:49
I believe the one at Kermit Weeks' museum in Florida, which I've seen and walked through a couple of times in recent years, is the same one that flew in the UK in the early 1990s (including overhead my house in London - what a roar !). Kermit flew it himself over to his museum in Florida in 1995. I believe it participated in the opening ceremony of the 1996 Olympic games in Atlanta, but hasn't flown since.

It's a shame his museum is closing but whenever I've been there it only had a handful of visitors, and didn't seem to come anywhere near covering daily operating costs. It has a very nice café in the entrance lobby but when you are the only one sat in it you know it can't last.

Suffolk Lad
16th Mar 2014, 19:23
Harry what a great photo. It seems the Sunderland/Sandringham that Kermit has in Florida is the same one that I saw and have a photo of. The Sunderland is a big secure looking flying boat. The Princess is an amazing design it is an airliner for sure with that fuselage and then with the hull of a boat stuck on the bottom. Might make a small model of it first something around 5- 6ft wingspan. Swaying towards the Princess in case you hadn't guessed.