PDA

View Full Version : NON-EASA Licensing requirments?????

ramone001
12th Mar 2014, 23:22
Hello All,

I am new to the forum so please stay with me, I have tried searching the forum without gaining anymore more clarity in terms of licensing.

At the moment I am just polishing off my ATPL(H) exams in term of resits and without any work commitments complete my required flying hours and hopefully obtain my license.

Now, obviously putting work visas to one side just for the moment, it is very apparent and understandable hours/experience is one of front runners to jump out on your CV.

However due to going through the motions of an entire career change in very short space of time I need to lean on the valued experience of some of you guys to put what I believe to be plan in to some sort plain context.

Like I said hours are the key and starting at the bottom ladder is really not an issue. But my wife and I both agreed we may as well go build the hours abroad while we are at it and see the world a little.

So...... My initial thoughts, take my new shiny license build a few more hours get my FI and hop the pond to Canada (where we would like to go) and maybe instruct there or whatever it takes to build hours.

Then this lead to the thinking why not go straight to Canada do the FI there and try and look for work or maybe strike some sort of deal with the training company.

OR FI in the USA then Convert to the Canadian Equivalent OR FI in the UK get what would appear to be the Magic 1000 hour bench mark or not FI all.

As I am sure you can appreciate how all of a sudden this can get very confusing. I have looked at the CAA's the FAA's and the Canadian Aviation's website, but sometimes its just better the lisense to peoples experience.

I really this is a very long winded post and I am very grateful for people just reading it let alone responding to it for the simple questions.....

>What is the best way to go abroad, Canada, USA even Australia?
>Can I credit any of my EASA ATPL(H) exams and so on.

Like I said I am aware of the required VISA and its importance, in addition plan to spend some time driving around meeting and greeting face to face.
But need a better understanding of International licensing requirements before we can decide, That is where we will go and that's how we are going to do it!!!

Many thanks,

:confused:

ersa
13th Mar 2014, 04:57
You can convert your EASA CPL were ever you like and it goes without saying spending more money do it.

Your EASA exam credits are not worth anything overseas unless you actually have a EASA ATPL .

The BIG issue for you is getting a Visa to allow you to work overseas, without this your wasting your time and money.

I am not saying you will not get work overseas, but with out any experience and a brand new licence your wasting your time.

You would be better off trying to get an instructor rating and get some hours that way....or maybe do scenic flights at the weekend for an operator in the UK.

The same old equation is faced by all new pilots how to get experience when no one will take a gamble with you.

I choose a flying school to do my licence with a scenic operation and pushed and pushed until they gave up and gave me a job.

If you or your partner has a skill that allows you to gain a resident visa overseas then that would be another option

paco
13th Mar 2014, 08:00
The Australians will accept an EASA licence with just a law exam - the Canadians will expect you to take the written exams, as will the FAA.

The instructor route is not always the best way - if you take the money you would use for that and do a longline or a mountain course instead, it might help, as just a CPL (including hours) is not always enough. Having said that, if you have the proper motivation, there's usually a job for a good instructor.

As the man says, though, immigration is your biggest worry. Although most companies in Canada are hiring, pilots are not necessarily being treated well, what with averaging hours, etc.

You may have some other qualification that would help? We always tell our students to get another language (or two) - the work invested is a cheap upgrade for a low hours pilot, and it allows you to fly in other parts of the world than the approximate 21% that speaks English.

Phil

ramone001
13th Mar 2014, 10:04
Thanks guys really appreciate your feedback, Australia in terms of going abroad maybe a little more do able initially or even Spain.

I correct in assuming the US and Canada require you to have an FAA conversion/license which in turn requires you to sit all 14 exams again, however if you have done your ATPL exams and then work through to 1000 hours there is no need to sit the exams? If so then it will almost certainly look at building the hours first in one one way shape or form and the re-looking at non EASA locations later on.

I agree with what you are saying Paco the instructor route is not always the best route, as you said stringing your bow with Mountain or long line experience is always a plus. With that said and I realize it is a lot of money I do believe doing an FI as the ability to maybe make you a better pilot in terms of left seat and stepping up your game a little.

The long and short of it, hours, hours, hours.

Thanks Guys

paco
13th Mar 2014, 12:57
And when it comes to hours, quantity is better than quality - do the cheapest hours you can get.

If you have an ATPL plus 1000 hours you still have to take the 14 exams - you just don't have to do an approved training course - but that's not a good idea given the abysmal state of the exam questions.

Phil