PDA

View Full Version : CASA TO DO OR NOT TO DO??

A posse ad esse
11th Mar 2014, 11:41
Curious.......

I have almost completed my ATPL studies and with my wife being Australian I would be interested in relocating to Aus.
My question is this; I've got an EASA PPL and would like to know from those informed whether or not it's easier to go down the CASA route in terms of converting MY PPL and then completing the CPL/ME/IR and FI(r) or just completing it all in the UK prior to me emigrating?

Before anyone shoots me down:ugh: ....Yes I do have the right to live and work in Australia:8.

Howard Hughes
11th Mar 2014, 21:11
My suggestion would be do everything under EASA first, if ever you want to go back to Europe you'll be jumping through a lot of hoops before you can convert your CASA licence!

Australopithecus
12th Mar 2014, 01:02
You might want to contact a few flight schools here to compare costs. If you cannot see ever wanting to work in Europe it might just be cheaper down here. (I have no idea of relative costs)

I will emphasise that it is much better to have both work options available to you as often one economy will do better than the other. You cannot predict which one that will be.

dubbleyew eight
12th Mar 2014, 01:25
under the guise of EASA synchronisation CASA have inflicted on Australia what is a total utter clusterfcuk.
$240,000,000 spent on getting the rules "right" and no end in sight. the work so far is a total schemozzle.

do your stuff under EASA.

ad-astra
12th Mar 2014, 03:07
The added complication is if you wish to fly with the likes of QF or VA.
I don't think they accept an Australian ATPL that has been 'converted' from a foreign licence.
Smarter people here will give you the answer.
Good luck

Australopithecus
12th Mar 2014, 03:57
Not to worry about QF: they will likely be decades from hiring again, if ever.

Plus, how would they know if you had a converted licence? The European ATPL is every bit as genuine as a home grown one, FFS

chickendrummer
12th Mar 2014, 05:31
They ask for your ATPL theory exams results.

Capt Chambo
12th Mar 2014, 06:45
The added complication is if you wish to fly with the likes of QF or VA.
I don't think they accept an Australian ATPL that has been 'converted' from a foreign licence.
Smarter people here will give you the answer.

I work for one of the above mentioned carriers with an Australian ATPL, granted on the back of a JAR ATPL, (and after doing the necessary CASA specified exams)

captainng
12th Mar 2014, 11:15
why dont you look at doing it in one of the australian jar schools like the royal aero club in WA. you might be able to get both licences with only an extra flight test somewhere either aus or uk.

i have convertered my aus atpl to jar atpl and it was expensive even 14 years ago. now i am trying to get my aus atpl reactivated and again more cash. but at least the aus licence doesn't lapse and the rating stay active, all you need is an lpc.

flying in aus would be cheaper than uk but not america.