PDA

View Full Version : Continuous monitoring of those with Top Secret clearance

tartare
11th Mar 2014, 02:19
Looks like the cousins are taking some interesting measures (http://www.stripes.com/news/us-plans-to-scan-workers-with-secret-clearances-1.272121) to try and prevent another Edward Snowden.
I would have thought this would be very difficult to implement in reality?

SASless
11th Mar 2014, 02:28
In a Counter-Intelligence Seminar in 1984....I recommended doing "covert" Net Worth Studies on Holders of very sensitive access. It was deemed "illegal" under the Cooper-Church Legislation. When One accepts a "Security Clearance"....one accepts the extra scrutiny for Security reasons.

Later, that became acceptable.....long after several big disasters like the Walker Spy Ring in the Navy, Ames at the CIA, and the fellow at the FBI amongst others.

Our Traitors generally do it for the Money.....and in this day and time it is hard to hide your spending habits.

unmanned_droid
12th Mar 2014, 00:13
I particularly like the fact that information about a program monitoring those with high level security clearance to watch out for, amongst other things, leakers, is being leaked.

reynoldsno1
12th Mar 2014, 00:36
Presumably one needs Top Secret clearance to monitor those with Top Secret clearance, so who issues the Top Secret clearance ....?

Roadster280
12th Mar 2014, 01:22
Other people with TS clearance, obviously :)

ORAC
12th Mar 2014, 06:04
reynoldsno1............so who issues the Top Secret clearance ....? I could tell you - but then I'd have to shoot you..........

Wander00
12th Mar 2014, 07:26
There's the black Omega outside now...................

ORAC
12th Mar 2014, 07:47
Anyway, TS isn't a big deal; even the milkman at Century House is probably TS cleared. No, if you want to be seen as in the know you've got to have codeword clearance - the more the better. And if you know the word if you're not supposed to - someone will be interested in your email and dustbin.

For real Int on the other hand read the realtime stuff happening on the web. That's where the analysts get most of their stuff anyway. Humint is vastly overrated - as the run up to Iraq proved.......

Cynical, moi?

Thomas coupling
12th Mar 2014, 10:34
It's already happening folks - wake up and smell the coffee:

ALL medium to large sized public service providers (insurance/internet providers/some call centres/energy companies/telephone companies/etc etc) are required by law to fit a 'black box' that takes ALL incoming and outgoing calls and stores the "Communication Data" (CD) permanently.
Look up the definition of CD on t'internet sometime, it is amazing what info can be stored by these boxes. This info also records your source of transmission (IP address / land line / mobile numbers) whether you have a blocker on your line or not!
Most companies now record your calls. ALL of them eventually channel their info thru GCHQ if requested by the national authorities.
It is made much much easier for these people to track your activities if you have a google account because google are doing their own CD gathering and GCHQ simply subpoena them to hand the info over.
How Google collects data about you and the Internet (http://royal.pingdom.com/2010/01/08/how-google-collects-data-about-you-and-the-internet/)
Steer well clear of google!
One can argue that this is the only realistic way of staying ahead of the next terrorist attack, but it is a fine line, is it not between public safety and public loss of privacy? No?

racedo
12th Mar 2014, 11:57
One can argue that this is the only realistic way of staying ahead of the next terrorist attack, but it is a fine line, is it not between public safety and public loss of privacy? No?

Course having those who deem they need the power, organising an attack to gain even more power is just fiction.
Funny how Fiction is Truth.

gr4techie
12th Mar 2014, 12:07
Funny how Fiction is Truth.

I recommend the book "1984" by George Orwell.

Anyway I must dash, the CCTV shows the thought police have turned up to send me to room 101 for a thought crime.

Melchett01
12th Mar 2014, 13:05
even the milkman at Century House is probably TS cleared

How do you know about Century House - that's secret?!

Humming is vastly overrated

Agreed - it's why I stopped watching the Eurovision Song Contest.

racedo
12th Mar 2014, 14:45
I recommend the book "1984" by George Orwell.

That was just Fiction unfortunately some Govts assume this was a proposal.

SASless
12th Mar 2014, 14:48
In our system.....the guy who is the ultimate authority of what is "Classified" does not have a Security Clearance and has not undergone any kind of Government Background Check.

In this case.....the Welfare Man.....known as President Obama.

dazdaz1
12th Mar 2014, 15:26
Lets not forget where No 6 ended up. You have been warned:cool:

Willard Whyte
12th Mar 2014, 15:54
Lets not forget where No 6 ended up.

Well, we sent an heir to the throne to N. Wales too, so it can't be that bad.

Mind you, he did quit after a tour, so...

racedo
12th Mar 2014, 16:06
Well, we sent an heir to the throne to N. Wales too, so it can't be that bad.

To appease the natives and more importantly it was a :mad: hard place to get to for Papparazzi :E

racedo
12th Mar 2014, 16:07
In our system.....the guy who is the ultimate authority of what is "Classified" does not have a Security Clearance and has not undergone any kind of Government Background Check.

In this case.....the Welfare Man.....known as President Obama.

You really think they tell him everything...................

SASless
12th Mar 2014, 16:14
To hear Welfare Man tell it....they tell him nothing!:}

GreenKnight121
12th Mar 2014, 21:36
I particularly like the fact that information about a program monitoring those with high level security clearance to watch out for, amongst other things, leakers, is being leaked.

I particularly like the fact that an article about a program monitoring those with high level security clearance, written from unclassified for the record public statements from governmental officials (including testimony to Congress in an open hearing), as well as for the record public statements from private citizens, is being characterized as "a leak"!

Please, ud, continue your amusing rants.

racedo
12th Mar 2014, 22:43
To hear Welfare Man tell it....they tell him nothing!:}

There was me think US Intelligence was an oxymoron.....

SASless
12th Mar 2014, 23:11
The White House will be accusing me of bringing "Race" into the discussion.....as they do anytime there is a hint of criticism of the Welfare Man.;)

unmanned_droid
13th Mar 2014, 01:20
Yawn.

That wasn't even a rant.

The article clearly states information in the article has been gained from individuals wishing to remain anonymous because they haven't been cleared to talk on the subject. AKA individuals leaking information.

I'll paste the specific sentences here:

"The system could also link to outside databases to flag questionable behavior, said the officials, who spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the plans."

SASless
13th Mar 2014, 01:33
Did not keep them from talking did it?

Chris1012
13th Mar 2014, 22:12
Couldn't help but chuckle at your comments SASless, thinking of Valerie Wilson...