PDA

View Full Version : High altitude combat aircraft seen today.

Hangarshuffle
7th Mar 2014, 12:58
Today Friday 7/3/2014 at 1100L heading from north to south over the NE coast of England. At high altitude and fairly high speed (that's a estimate mind) 3 abreast in a very slight arrow formation.
What were they? I'm again guessing they are military, had a quick glance through my Nikons but were way too high and fast for me.
I've seen this sort of thing a few times in the last week, but with paired aircraft, same sort of description.
I've never noticed this activity before.
What are they? What's going on? Strictly in confidence.

Vendee
7th Mar 2014, 13:47
Strictly in confidence? <looks over shoulder and lowers voice> Well they would have been the new Canberra PR9's that the RAF ordered last year. Nine of them have been ordered and once they have been sprayed red, they will replace the Red Arrow Hawks. Future displays will be carried out at 60,000 ft (or higher) which will not only result in a reduction in noise but will also mean that one display can be seen in four counties at the same time. The PR9's camera's will be rolling during the display and members of the public will be able to buy photographs of themselves after the display :ok:

Wageslave
7th Mar 2014, 13:55
Probably just a flight of 2FF2R.

Hangarshuffle
7th Mar 2014, 16:07
Cheers Vendee that's quite funny(!) Well who knows, no ones saying or can be bothered to say (a story in itself). Its not like the old days I suppose. Before I joined the FAA, as a teen I regularly fished the old haunts. On any mid week day one could expect to see Jaguar, Buccaneer sometimes, MRCA were coming in, GR3, F1-11 (tremendous sight at low level), sometimes A10, F15, Canberra, Dominie, Vulcan, Hawk, Hunter, Gannet, F4, Provost, Herc sometimes....list just went on and on. Also NATO exotics of all kinds, on their way to Otterburn/Spadeadam (etc). All at low to medium level.
Didn't half used to brighten up the quiet days.
Today, now older and greyer and still out Salmon fishing for several hours today I saw only the prev. described above at v.high altitude.
My final guess going by my quick squint through binos, AF18's on their way somewhere.

ScouseFlyer
7th Mar 2014, 16:35
Lot of USAF F15 activity this am together with a couple of KC135s routeing up and down the coast between Newcastle area and Flamborough Hd.If you saw something in a racetrack pattern at high level it was an RAF E3 AWACS.
SF

tartare
7th Mar 2014, 20:15
Getting ready to head east perhaps...??:ok:

Hangarshuffle
7th Mar 2014, 21:42
Think you must be bang on then. We've seen the AWACs before as described but not today.

alf5071h
8th Mar 2014, 01:42
Lakenheath F15 detachment to the Baltic area, associated with the Ukraine situation ???

glad rag
8th Mar 2014, 06:52
Would they be moving offensive aircraft to Lithuania??