PDA

View Full Version : ATPL and being a doctor

Dirkimausi
16th Nov 2001, 10:50
HI!

First of all: hi! I´m new to this forum, so a warm welcome to you all!

I´m an ATPL student and I have several questions to you out there!

1. I´m going to be a medical doctor with an valid ATPL. What chances am I going to have?

2.Do you think I´ll ever be able to fly for British midland as a german or no chance???

Thanks!

Dirk

slim_slag
16th Nov 2001, 13:46
Greetings. Being an EU national you have the right to work anywhere in the EU. I guess you should make sure your English is pukker if you work in the UK.

Getting an ATPL should not affect your medical career if you don't want it to. Why would you want to be a pilot if you can be a doctor? I've done both - Sure, the pilots job seems glamourous after you have spent a morning in the proctology clinic. But then when you have spent time waiting for the next VOR to tune in, there are advantages to talking to a new person every few minutes, even if from your position you might not be able to see their lips move (those above the waist). Apologies to our friendly controllers, whose moving lips are always welcome to hear.

You are very lucky, most mortals don't even get the luxury of one of the choices of hosties or nursies. I'd make loads of dosh being a doctor, get bored senseless with another case of "Johnny and his sore ear", then spend your exorbitant amounts of cash buying extravagant and very sexy planes that even a 747-400 skipper cannot afford. :D

Wee Ali
16th Nov 2001, 15:49
Hello matey.Interesting,this connection between flying & medicine!I'm the third person from my year at medical school to make the transition from a medical to a flying career-I don't think being a doc will affect your chances in any way.Ok,the job prospects for medicine are fairly constant & not at all economically driven,but in the UK at least,it is an utterly crap career choice & I'd wholeheartedly recommend the flying option!When I see how much better the quality of life is-and it is-there is no contest!Go for it.

Hornetboy
16th Nov 2001, 18:31
Dad's a doc, mum's a nurse, sis is a dental student, I'm a flier. Always wondered if there was any connection....still don't think so!!

le loup garou
16th Nov 2001, 18:41
Dirkimausi,

Welcome to the forums. As far as being a doctor and a pilot I can't see that it would be a problem as bmi British Midland has as its doctor a line flying Captain.

The only thing I would say about bmi is that it looks like it will be a long time before they are recruiting again. However there are various nationalities working for us so I can't see that being a problem.

Good Luck with everything! I must admit that is one hell of a chat up line, I suppose you train dolphins in your spare time. :D

Regards le loup garou

GonvilleBromhead
16th Nov 2001, 18:42
Seems to be a connection with Flying/Pilots and Police though I've found. Sorry, nothing to do with the original thread, just bypass this one and carry on. ;)

Noddy Staltern
16th Nov 2001, 21:19
Before you decide to stop practising medecine, I would suggest you do a Diploma in Aviation Medecine. Then you can carry out JAA medicals and make a fortune...!

Iain
16th Nov 2001, 22:37
I am currently deciding between persueing a medical career or an aviation one. There are ups and downs (excuse the pun) to both careers, so I am really torn, I guess time will tell!

scroggs
18th Nov 2001, 00:14
I'd echo the recommendation to get a qualification in Aviation Medicine. The bmi Doc previously referred to is an old mate of mine, and was one of the last of the RAF's flying doctors - those who were both pilots and docs, with all the relevant avmed quals. If your own licence ever becomes medically vulnerable, you will always be able to live well off aviation!