PDA

View Full Version : That type of buoy is?

Javie Guerrero
5th Mar 2014, 16:17
Hi

Can someone identify that type of buoy is?

AN/SSQ-41?

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/6779/m5x1.jpg

Thanks

camelspyyder
5th Mar 2014, 17:54
since the picture has SECRET UK EYES B printed on it...

I don't think you need to know!:hmm:

Lyneham Lad
5th Mar 2014, 18:00
and an 'arieal' is???

I know, I know - if I do not know, I do not need to know...
hat, coat, door.

Willard Whyte
5th Mar 2014, 18:21
Judging by the size I'd say it's a baby buoy.

Congratulations!

Cows getting bigger
5th Mar 2014, 18:23
... not used by the UK MPA fleet? :ouch:

Neptunus Rex
5th Mar 2014, 18:28
According to WikiCoastal it's passive.
:cool:

Captain Radar....
5th Mar 2014, 18:28
Er, why is someone from Spain posting a picture which is (or was) classified S UK EYES B?
Should this thread be allowed to continue? If not why not? It's out there now. How did Javie get hold of this in the first place? What else has he got hold of? And how?

Fuel the Omega, there's a road trip on the cards.

NutLoose
5th Mar 2014, 18:39
So when we produced this secret document, was it a cunning plan to misspell aerial to confuse the enemy if it ever fell into their hands...
And what was the dimension of the gap between the 6 inch and 30 inch section, or was that covered on the top secret drawing?

Marcantilan
5th Mar 2014, 18:58
My bet: LOFAR SSQ-41A.

Regards!

1771 DELETE
5th Mar 2014, 21:52
My bet, is that its not a NATO stocked buoy at all, no need for UK EYES B on anything we used. So its either Ruskie or the whole post is a fabrication.

Trim Stab
6th Mar 2014, 05:37
It is about the size and shape of a typical EPIRB from a small sailing yacht. There are a lot of different models on the market, some that resemble it closely in shape, though most are brightly coloured.

However, some more budget conscious militaries just use commercially sourced EPIRBS and paint them olive.

Could be that it is a description of an EPIRB that somebody observed while out sailing in a contentious area (Falklands?) and reported to the authorities - this would explain the amateurish sketch and mis-spelling of "aerial".

The "Secret - UK Eyes B" may have been added later by people who had no idea what it was, but passed it on to cover their arses.

ExRAFRadar
6th Mar 2014, 05:47
What does the button do ?

Javie Guerrero
6th Mar 2014, 05:53
Thanks to all for the answers.

With regard to the drawing, it belongs to a disqualified document. Because of it I have it.

The intention is not to discover mas of what says the document. Only to know if an AN SSQ41 for the measures

Wander00
6th Mar 2014, 06:27
Ex Rad - I guess it stops you poking your eye out if you get too close - that's why it is "UK Eyes"!

OK, hat, coat.......................

MFC_Fly
6th Mar 2014, 06:41
I agree with Wander00 - that is exactly what it is there for, it's all in the meaning of 'UK Eyes B' - it's the 'UK Eyes Button' :E

Fat Magpie
6th Mar 2014, 07:09
I thought it was a sex toy

Wensleydale
6th Mar 2014, 07:13
"The "Secret - UK Eyes B" may have been added later by people who had no idea what it was, but passed it on to cover their arses"

or it came from a student's classified note book which allowed him (her) to take notes of a classified nature during a lesson. Such books were often produced with the maximum allowed classification already on each page.

airborne_artist
6th Mar 2014, 08:15
Has to be stude's notes, and not a very bright stude either. The captions have been written using a ruler to prevent the biro from wandering. I only ever saw stackers using that technique :ooh:

Courtney Mil
6th Mar 2014, 08:25
Or, someone spotted it floating in the sea and made the sketch with estimated dimensions to report it. Judging by the spelling and handwriting, it must have been a Royal Navy officer.

The Helpful Stacker
6th Mar 2014, 08:37
I only ever saw stackers using that technique

Can't say I ever saw one of my former colleagues using the technique you describe.

Surplus
6th Mar 2014, 08:46
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/sonar/img/fig16-19.jpg

AN/CRT-1A

A similar flotation unit

AR1
6th Mar 2014, 10:05
From the resistor colour coding its 475 'something' Ohms - I cant see the multiplier or tolerance bands as they are underwater.

Davef68
6th Mar 2014, 10:54
The classification seems to have been struck out.

Basil
6th Mar 2014, 11:09
captions have been written using a ruler
Ah so - Cunningly spotted, Mister Chan ;)

It's really, as annotated, poor old Olive who wished to be buried at sea with that 'Fifty Shades' guy (the one with all the sunglasses) on top of her. Regrettably, the funeral director hadn't been paying attention the day Mr Archimedes was discussed at school. Elementary :)

It's Not Working
6th Mar 2014, 12:28
AR1 - That's not a preferred value, you should know that. Back to 2T Block you go and stay awake this time.

Sorry, not very helpful to the original question.

Edit to say oops I wrong, yes it is!

anotherthing
6th Mar 2014, 14:29
seems like a nice buoy...

Wander00
6th Mar 2014, 15:00
not a toy buoy then..............

N2erk
6th Mar 2014, 16:46
If its a buoy, and its related to olive, maybe its name is sweet pea (thinks- Popeye the sailor man...)

charliegolf
6th Mar 2014, 17:59
Is it UK eyes only because we don't want to give the impression we can't speel proper?

CG

AR1
6th Mar 2014, 21:39
So don't be persistant - you know my resistance is low..

althenick
6th Mar 2014, 22:00
From the resistor colour coding its 475 'something' Ohms - I cant see the multiplier or tolerance bands as they are underwater.

"Black boys rape our young girls but violet give willingly"

... You never forget :)

Now I need to go find some N!ggers Dick

GreenKnight121
6th Mar 2014, 22:38
Ummm... I learned it as "bad boys".

A bit less racist, as it was in the 1970s.

cynicalint
6th Mar 2014, 23:36
I know what it is! With the main body being 6" by 4", it is the new lightweight micro-buoy for out-of-practice NCA to be able to load easily on the new MPA. Procurement has designed the buoy first and will build the airframe around it (in about.... 'harrumph' years); new iterations of the buoy will get progressively bigger and heavier. The 30" 'Areial' with button is the 'Arm-Reach Extending Innovative Aircraft Loading' handle to avoid dropping it into the pressurised launchers and damaging it, or the pressure doors. Wasn't me who told you, right!

Al R
7th Mar 2014, 06:32
:oh: Erm.

The captions have been written using a ruler to prevent the biro from wandering. I only ever saw stackers using that technique.

Anyway, should it be an antenna and not an aerial? The latter receives only whilst the former also transmits?

paull
7th Mar 2014, 09:35
and not a very bright stude either. The captions have been written using a ruler

You are clearly not a leftie, spare a thought for those of us who cannot even see what we have just written because it is covered up by our [left] hand.

I am quite literally a 'pen pusher' , whereas you are presumably a puller of something.:)

airborne_artist
7th Mar 2014, 15:39
You are clearly not a leftie, spare a thought for those of us who cannot even see what we have just written because it is covered up by our [left] hand.

I am quite literally a 'pen pusher' , whereas you are presumably a puller of something.:)

Yep, pulled a fair few birds in my time :E

langleybaston
7th Mar 2014, 15:42
its from Marham, Norfolk and is a

HAVE YOU GOT A LIGHT, BUOY?

ValMORNA
7th Mar 2014, 20:28
aerial

British A rod, wire, or other structure by which signals are transmitted or received as part of a radio or television transmission or receiving system.

antenna

chiefly North American or • technical another term for aerial (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/aerial)

Al R
8th Mar 2014, 04:37
The top part is the aerial, the shiny bit that completes things between the people on the other end receiving and the "lead-in" (the not so shiny bit that connects the aerial to the sender's transmitting gubbins). The antenna is the entire system or assembly (ie; the aerial and the lead-in). To receive, you only need an aerial, because in sepia years, your wireless (another description that has changed) radio didn't even have a transmitter gubbins thing.

During the inter war years, the government dictated that a commercial aerial and lead-in to be no longer that 100ft combined because it knew that the lead-in part radiated and it didn't want its ships sunk by sneaky coastal and convoy watchers. These days though, meanings and definitions have moved and blurred to the point of irrelevance, 'wireless', for instance doesn't mean what it once did. To give you hope, I stand by to be corrected though.

Hours of fun was once had using farm chicken wire on Salisbury Plain on various signals courses chatting to places over the world. Skills came in handy one Xmas Eve though; using 25 metres of farm fence* and PRC 352, by trial and error we eventually got a signal from N Bosnia to the lovely ladies of BT Portishead Radio, who kindly patched us through to our families for a surprise 5 minute phone call each. Working with 2 Scaleys helped and no phone set up for the troops back then of course. Scaley, or Scaleyback was the nickname given to army signallers who had their backs fried by early portable transmission gear.

* From the urgent tone of your contribution, I'm guessing this sort of detail is really important so for the sake of peace of mind, the old farm fence was wire and not wooden.

The Oberon
8th Mar 2014, 05:40
Wireless equipment has aerials, Radio gear has antennas. ;)

Al R
8th Mar 2014, 05:47
Thank you, you might just have given BGG that hope. Maybe. Agh.

langleybaston
8th Mar 2014, 14:59
we called them antennae in the World of Seaweed and Balls.

But then we knew that data were plural.

And one hand on a sandwich.

PingDit
15th Mar 2014, 15:28
AN/SSQ-41B Sonobuoy

https://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/an-ssq-41.gif The AN/SSQ-41B Sonobuoy was produced in large numbers for the US Navy. This passive low cost buoy featured high reliability coupled with an improved low-noise suspension system, wideband capability and extended dynamic range. Its omnidirectional hydrophone system operated in a frequency range of 10 Hz to 20 kHz and at depths between 60 to 1000 feet for periods of 1, 3, or 8 hours. Operating on one of 31 channels fixed between 163 and 173 MHz at an RF power level of 1 Watt, the buoy was fully operational after ocean impact, within 60 seconds at the shallow depth and within 100 seconds at the deep setting. If desired this buoy could include electronic function select (EFS) providing a selectable 99 channel RF capability.
The AN/SSQ-41N used a calibrated hydrophone designed to operate from 5 Hz to 2.4 kHz.

Ping