PDA

View Full Version : Can you convert medical certificates?

whitetoo
5th Mar 2014, 09:13
Hi guys,

I am a student GA pilot. I started my training in the United Kingdom under the EASA. I also hold a Class 2 Medical. The weather in the UK has been horrendous so I am looking to go to Florida to complete the FAA license instead. Can I convert my granted Class 2 medical to the FAA equivalent or do I need to start over with an FAA AME?

Thank you for any help.

mad_jock
5th Mar 2014, 11:01
Because you haven't got a license yet you will need a FAA class 3 or it might be 2 these days to fly solo because you are under the FAA for flight training even though your training for a EASA license.

Once you have your license and you get a piggy back license issued then you can fly with just your EASA medical.

Its not a problem getting a FAA while your over there. Mine took 10 mins to get and $40 and its the first time ever that I felt thin sitting in a doctors waiting room.

whitetoo
5th Mar 2014, 23:26
Thank you very much for your advice Mad Jock.
$40 ?! Wow ok I am being quoted $150 by a UK based FAA AME.

mad_jock
6th Mar 2014, 08:05
Get it when your over there. Each school will normally have there favourite AME because they will send them all their custom they get them on the cheap.

Some of the AME's over there live in flying communities so you go for a nav ex land taxi up to the doctors house go in get it all done then taxi off and fly back to base.

And $150 seems a bit steep that's more than my last class 1 medical in the UK.

Choose your school and start the TSA nonsense and ask the school how much their AME is for a medical.